THR Toddlermom - one down!!

@jomarie58 That's a bummer! Well, that is going to alter my time line. My mom really wants me to wait until fall for the next surgery (or 2017 even.). And I just want to get this over with. But I need her help for the first 7 days. Might have to alter my childcare plan and do it anyway.
 
@jomarie58 Correcting our walking gait is one of the most difficult and frustrating things to get right after hip surgery. Since I've been through so many surgeries now, my gait will be a real challenge. At one point, I had a 'John Wayne' walk, coined by my daughters, - real stiff, swinging my right leg around as I took a step. :heehee: You seem to know quite a bit about the condition, @Toddlermom. I did a little research on it, but not much.
I wonder if I should have my daughters request x-rays to determine whether they have the deformity. Not much they would/could do about it but at least they would be aware and take care of those precious hips. Knowledge is golden!
 
Day 8.....Fresh reinforcements!!! My mom is going home since I am getting around and can take care of my basic needs. I have a cousin and his wife who are dear friends of the family. They are staying at Hotel Stevenson to entertain the munchkins over the weekend. They are in their late 20's and they seem to be excited about a weekend full of toddler fun....and I get a few more days of rest under my belt. Before my hubby has to fly completely solo.

Early in the week, I have a helper for a couple of nights, and next weekend....we have slumber parties scheduled. Fingers crossed that I will be able to tackle more tasks at 18-20 days.
 
Question of the day: are you surprised at your pajama choices???? I was given several pairs of PJs prior to surgery, and I only want to wear short gowns. And I prefer the ones that have a slippery material. (Satin & poly blends). I don't want any resistance on my legs and hips when getting in and out of bed. I have 2 pairs of Capri pant PJ's that I tolerate....but mostly gowns. Wish that I bought 3 more of them:rolleyes:!
 
Yes, I wore sundresses during the day, and nightgowns at night. You sound like you're doing very well. It must be very challenging with small children. I can see why you want to get the second hip done sooner, rather than later. I'm glad to hear that the kids are helping you. They usually enjoy that, and it's good training for them to learn to put things back in their place.
 
Hmm all useful intelligence. Thanks! I've given that some thought and opted for a couple of nightgowns as I thought they'd be handier for loo visits (easier to hoik up. Less to bother about?). But I did buy a PJ set, only they have shorts-length bottoms. Will need to experiment with them and see how I get on. It was also recommended to me that slippery material works well to assist getting in/out of bed.

Did anyone bother taking their own nightwear to hospital or did they stick with the hospital issue (derriere revealers)? Would like to know
Hope you're getting on OK and the kiddiwinks are following the rules :good-bad:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Toddlermom after my BTHR I wore flannel pj bottoms plus turtleneck and sweater or sweatshirt - it was winter in Oregon. I got several pairs of men's flannel pjs because a) they had deep pockets and women's did not, b) they were softer and heavier material than the women's ones I could find, and c) they were cheaper! They were very comfortable :)

As for in hospital @Miss Muffet - I wore the hospital gown plus my own robe when I got out of bed. As I recall the hospital I was at preferred patients to wear the hospital gown - but that may vary from hospital to hospital.
 
I embraced free wheeling without any underwear at the hospital! I brought 2 gowns for the hospital, but I only wore 1.

Since you don't know how much swelling you will be experiencing, be cautious with any pant sizing...pj's or undies. Many of my pants Pjs just don't fit. I ended up with some maiden form 'boy shorts' underwear that work great for me now that I am home. I never would have guessed that the ones with gentle lace around the legs would be easier than elastic ones. They were given to me by my mother-in-law, because they weren't stylish enough for a granddaughter (Christmas gift). They were brand new and a size larger than my normal size, and she thought they might work for surgery. They are perfect! No elastic pressure point on my healing incision, and they don't ride up.....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@djklaugh it is currently 75 degrees here in Houston....and the idea of that many layers is unimaginable! :giggle: I like the idea of pockets, but I simply don't want anything below my mid thigh. My skin is the smoothest thing across the sheets and into bed. I am wearing some casual lounge pants during the day. But they start to get on my nerves when I have to slide them across the sheets and they bunch up...and I have to figure out how to straighten them out?!?! :bored:
 
Day 9.......The kiddos are aware that mommy has an 'owie'.....AND they want to look at it 4+ times a day. :eyebrows: They are finally getting frustrated since they have to be so careful with me. They want ME to cuddle them, to flop on them, to carry them, or to wrestle them. My 2 year old is getting really sad when others offer 'mommy games'......and this morning it turned into inconsolable tears. My hubby offered to help mommy and pick her up for me. :bawl: It is a balancing act. I feel like I could be a bit more active. However, I am trying to be as gentle with myself as I can....what I do today will impact my progress 2 weeks from now.

Overall, I have a little muscular knot above my knee that has recently appeared and feels just like the muscular knots in your shoulders. I am continuing to ice throughout the day, and taking little walks around my house. My surgeon originally said that I would be off my walker and on a cane in a couple of days. Although I could do that, I don't feel like a walker is problematic or that a cane is the sign of 'success'. It keeps my little ones from grabbing my bad leg...so I consider my walker a defensive tactic!:catbutterfly: Once I have some additional confidence, I will try it out....enough musings for today.
 
@JMACCA & @Miss Muffet

My mom used Capri pant pjs, and she was able to use the PJs to help left her leg. She needed it to get into bed.

My muscles were much stronger when I had surgery, and so I felt like the fabric 'drag' against the sheets aren't helpful...... and I could lift my leg within a few days. The drag made it harder.

However, my mom needed assistance for two+ weeks with that leg lifting. So you will know your own strength and agility....so judge it accordingly. Try it both ways! She is much taller....so longer limbs, 62 yrs old, and had much more muscle atrophy and extra weight prior to surgery.
 
Day 11.....and I am officially stir crazy! Going to attempt a venture out of the house later today. And I made grilled cheese sandwiches for the munchkins. After that smudge of cooking....I was wiped out....so napping first .....and adventure this afternoon.
 
Hi @Toddlermom! I am just now getting caught up with your recovery thread and I must say....CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I just cannot imagine recovering from THR with two little ones at home. All things considered, you seem to be doing remarkably well...and keeping your "housekeeping" rants at bey speaks volumes to your level of patience. But, your dear sweet husband has to realize that those trip hazards may put you back in the hospital and I know that's the last thing he would want to happen. On the other hand, though, it sounds like he has done a wonderful job with everything else. God bless him, because I know it's got to be very difficult for him too.
I found that wearing the shorts style of loungewear was very comfy. They didn't bunch up in bed and I could reach the bottom of them to help lift my leg, when I needed to. I don't think I wore panties until about the 3rd week. Couldn't be bothered with them and it was just one more piece of clothing to pull down or yank up. :heehee:
BTW, I always had my grabber hooked on to my walker so it was handy. And, as far as your posture is concerned...I wouldn't be overly concerned about it right now. But do try to stand as upright as possible when walking. And don't try progressing to a cane until you are able to walk smoothly, one foot in front of the other (heel to toe) with your walker. Of course, considering you are looking at another hip surgery, this may not be even trying yet.
Best of luck in your recovery and lots of hugs to you! :flwrysmile:
 
Day 11 update......the adventure never materialized. My husband asked if I could watch the kiddo's for an hour while he recorded some work. (He cannot do this with any noise, so he cannot have the kids with him.)

By the time he came downstairs, I was at the end of my rope. The loving critters are being competitive with each other to snuggle with me. I snuggle 1 at a time to protect my wound, but this creates some tantrums and mischief. When I left the room to swap out an ice pack and go to the restroom, the 2 year old pulled every tissue from a new box.....All over the living room. Anyway, she was being 2, but I must have looked pretty defeated. @Nana757 My hubby found me using my grabber to collect the snowfall of tissue scattered around the room .

It became apparent to him within 2 minutes of returning from the studio...... it was necessary to take the children away as rapidly as he could. That was 3 hours ago. I have caught up on a nap, let my pain meds catch up, and iced my joint. All the while listening to the cable music station....Soundscapes. It is an entire channel that sounds like you are at a spa.

Although I have missed my outing, we ARE learning how to manage just the two of us. (Family left this morning). And that is important. We have a helper coming in the late afternoon on a couple of days this week, and the kids are in school 3 days. I am sure that we will get the hang of this--
 
@Cynthia777 isn't it funny how giddy you become? I remember this same feeling from having my kids. I had 2 c-sections so I couldn't drive, and I was incredibly excited about my check ups with the pediatrician and OB/GYN.
 
@Toddlermom
I had a C-section too and not only did I look forward to my OB-GYN appointments, I couldn't wait for hubby to get home from work so I could take off to the local drugstore and spend two hours walking the isles (hmmm...can't remember if I was more excited just to get out or if I was more excited getting a break from the colicky baby)! :rofsign:
 
@Cynthia777 I still get that feeling!!! But it was so much harder when I couldn't drive. I was on bed rest for 5 weeks and driving restrictions for an additional 4 weeks. I was BATTY!!!!:tantrum2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom