THR THR tell me about your recovery

Four!?? Oh my stars....
Yes, Happy Belated 4th Hipversary!!!:yahoo:
 
They always ask how often I think about my hip. I think about it every day in the things I do and also from aches and pains from time to time. That horrid bone pain is long gone but as I sit and type this I have some muscle pain from previous days activities. I sleep great now and can walk pain free for miles and miles but the aches and stiffness will remain forever, just part of me and that's fine. As I always said it's got a lot to do with the date on my driver's license.
 
Ditto, here, my friend.
Sometimes, I get a tad nervous, like why do my legs ache.
Then I remember....oh yea...
Unloading thirty five or so 60-70 lbs boxes all day might have something to do with it.:heehee:
 
Hey @Eman85 ---I was curious when you said your doctor had contacted you for your yearly check up. Have you gone every year since your surgery? I did the 3-4 check ups as directed the first year, and at my one year exam my doctor said things were great and I had complete mobility, range of motion, etc. and that I didn't need to go back unless I had a problem. It's been 3 1/2 years since my hip was replaced. Now I am wondering if yearly exams are the norm, or just individual doctor's preferences. Curious what other's experiences have been as well.
 
In an effort to keep from derailing another’s thread on this topic, I found the following in a quick online search which should answer the question -

“There is especially great variability about how frequently surgeons will reassess their patients in long-term follow-up (more than a year after surgery). A one-year follow-up appointment is quite consistent, but there is significant variability thereafter.”

Sounds like you have a very thorough surgeon with great follow up, Eman, which I don’t believe is the norm for all. I do agree with your reminder that often some of our aches and pains have more to do with an aging body, than anything. An aging body is better than the alternative. I’ll take it, I’ll take it! :wink:
Have a good one @Eman85
 
@Debru4 my OS emails me and they have an evaluation form I fill out and answer questions about function and pain and stiffness, I get it every anniversary for each hip. There is a comment section, and I can request an appointment if I want or they will contact me if I request. My OS was very impressive in the way him and his office operated. One thing was him and his staff were never in a rush and had time to answer any question. I was also very well informed pre-op in what to expect and a realistic recovery timeline.
 
Just an update and some unintended consequences of THR and feeling good. I always walked and even with bad hips would walk distances, just suffered afterwards but felt it was worth it. Of course post-op recovery includes walking and new shoes which I followed. Only problem being was much of the walking was on paved sidewalks and streets and the shoes were easy to put on Skechers slip ons. I ended up developing plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I never had any problems with my feet, probably the best part of my extremities! Evidently my shoes did not provide enough arch support and the walking triggered the problem. I finally went to the podiatrist yesterday for some help in healing this. All I can say is when you finally get to walking distances wear really good shoes even if you have to have them tied for you. You don't want this annoying pain in your heel!
 
I’m sorry you’re dealing with the pain of plantar fasciitis, Eman. I hope you obtain speedy relief through the recommendations you’re following. I experienced this about twenty years ago and thankfully it was short lived. Thanks for sharing this update as it may be beneficial to others. Enjoy the rest of the week and holiday weekend!
@Eman85
 
My sympathy. I too had this about 20 years ago. I remember the awful pain on getting out of bed and first putting my foot to the ground, and then hobbling through the rest of the day. I can’t remember how long I had it, but I do remember that it suddenly vanished, just like that. And never came back. I hope it leaves you quickly too.
 
I'm not one to rush into going to the Dr. so this has been going on for quite a while now. I guess part of it is not stretching before walking. We all know we should do it but few of us do. I got a steroid shot in my heel and a brace for my foot. Have some stretching exercises to do and we'll see how it goes.
 
I also recommend freezing water in small bathroom size paper cups and rolling it across the arch and heel, then taping it on your foot. It’s a nagging injury, I developed it from too much high impact aerobics, but it does go away.
 
You can freeze damp tennis balls too!
Hope the injection helps!
 
I've been rolling for quite some time now. I have a roller that I can put in the freezer and frozen water bottles that I roll on. I could be in pain and then roll and the pain would go away then of course I would repeat the process 3 or 4 times a day.
 
Frozen water bottles were a big go to for me when I was suffering from plantar fasciitis.
 
You might try some rigid arch supports. They aren't as easy to find as the soft mooshy ones on the Dr Scholl's rack at WM, but they're out there and not overly expensive.
While the PF is flaring, you'll need to wear the arch supports in all your shoes. It can be a hassle remembering to swap them out, but it's worth it.
When your feet calm down, it might be enough to wear regular softer supports or just plain shoes with decent arch support.
I've had a couple of bad flares of plantar fasciitis over the course of years, and both a good podiatrist and my pcp recommended the supports, and they worked out very well.
 
I have put arch supports in my house slippers! That's how bad it got as I couldn't stand to walk in the house barefoot.
 
I've also had a recent bout with PF. Don't really know what caused it as I haven't done anything differently. I thought maybe my shoes were breaking down and started wearing new ones but they were exactly the same shoes only new. I did have to ice, take ibuprofen, and wear inserts to get things calmed down. Now I play it day to day. Some days it's hardly noticeable and others not so much. Keeping my fingers crossed that it won't come to injections. I hope your foot gets to feeling better quickly. It is definitely not a fun situation.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom