THR THR tell me about your recovery

@Hip4life so far so good. Stretching exercises seem to really help beside the rolling. Standing on a step with the balls of my feet and lowering my heels then raising up is one. Some basic calf stretches front leg bent back leg straight and then both knees bent and placing weight on back leg.
 
I got a rocker board and a half roller like they had at PT. Great for calf stretches and heel raises as well as side to side motions.
 
Just an update and some unintended consequences of THR and feeling good. I always walked and even with bad hips would walk distances, just suffered afterwards but felt it was worth it. Of course post-op recovery includes walking and new shoes which I followed. Only problem being was much of the walking was on paved sidewalks and streets and the shoes were easy to put on Skechers slip ons. I ended up developing plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I never had any problems with my feet, probably the best part of my extremities! Evidently my shoes did not provide enough arch support and the walking triggered the problem. I finally went to the podiatrist yesterday for some help in healing this. All I can say is when you finally get to walking distances wear really good shoes even if you have to have them tied for you. You don't want this annoying pain in your heel!
I get this on and off for over a decade. I stopped wearing flat shoes and it went away with no treatment or anything special but that is a lot easier to do as a woman. I notice a lot of men’s shoes are very flat and a lot of summer type shoes are flat. Both my kids wear flat shoes and I keep telling them it will cause problems but what does mom know? Lol. I’m always careful to find sneakers that have arch support ! Even my flip flops I have now are not flat.
 
Thought I'd write a follow up. The pain in my foot has subsided after 3 injections and the stretches. I am still wearing the arch support brace most of the time as a prevention. I'm also still doing calf stretches and rolling my foot. Whether I've learned my lesson about stretching before walking and wearing good shoes I can't answer, but I really don't want to go through this again.
My takeaway is that once we recover and start walking longer distances we really need to do more stretching before walking.
 
Hi @Eman85 . I mainly popped in here to thank you for making me laugh with this:

I was thrilled both feet faced forward immediately post-op and took it from there.

I didn’t want to derail the other thread by laughing there!

How are your feet now? Still facing forward, I trust, but otherwise?
 
Both still facing forward! I wasn't kidding when I posted this. I approached THR realistically. I had a simple checklist and the first thing was waking up post-op second was 2 feet facing the same direction.
 
Ha-Ha, Eman,
Mine weren't facing the same direction post op for anyone reading here and dealing with something similar. My surgeon told me they would be, only he didn't tell me it would take some time. I developed external rotation as my hip deteriorated making my right foot face a tad outward from my body. It was a concern and a complaint at one of my initial post op visits when I was reassured it would gradually become normal and it did! :happydance:
Did you deal with the same @Eman85 or was that comment just for humors sake? :heehee: I hope the pain in your foot is still gone. Happy Friday!
 
My feet were facing the same direction but with my right the foot would fall outwards. by itself. That corrected itself over time.
My Plantar Fasciitis still flares up. I do a lot of rolling frozen water bottles and stretches. I also wear a brace to hold my arch up most days. We've been walking 3-4 mi. almost every day so I'm trying to keep it stretched out.
 
Time flies when you're having fun. Opened my emails to find one from my OS with my 3 year survey/follow up on my right THR. Hard to believe it's been 3 since the second one already.
I can honestly say I don't forget I have 2 replacement hips, I don't dwell on it but it passes through my mind every day just from normal reminders. I don't have any hip pain, but I have metal hips so they don't hurt. I do get pains and stiffness in the hip area of both legs, all tissue pain and can be different every day. Stiffness is pretty much every day and it loosens up as the day goes on, pains come and go. None of these pains or stiffness prevent me from doing anything and they don't require any real attention, they are just there. Overall my THR's are a great success and the horrid deep ache pains and lack of sleep are a thing of the past.
 
Happy Three Year Anniversary, Eman!
Thanks for the update. Like you, the thought crosses my mind daily that I have a prosthetic hip. I also experience occasional stiffness, but as you've often reminded people stiffness comes with age for most, whether or not they have a prosthetic hip. And there are the random twinges that make me stop and think, but they usually go as quickly as they came.
Overall my THR's are a great success and the horrid deep ache pains and lack of sleep are a thing of the past.
Ditto. It's been well worth it!

Glad your doing well, leading a full and active life and still thoughtfully taking the time to encourage and support others here. You are appreciated. :)
Have a great week!
 
:wave: @Eman85
Three years...:wowspring:
Time starting to fly....

Glad to see you well and grateful for your support of others here on Boresmart.
Hope you have a good Turkey Day!
 
@Eman85, wow! I just read all 15 pages of your recovery thread and feel like I've taken a masterclass in THR. Thank you, and thank you to everyone who responded and supported Eman during Two recoveries.

I've been discouraged by my inability to walk a half mile as others describe (I'm a few days into week 5). When I walk the equivalent of a longish block, I'm ok for a bit then am hit by terrible stiffness and thigh pain. Only thing to do is turn around and go home.

On this thread I learned from Ekan and others that walking on uneven surfaces is not the best idea this early on in recovery. I live in an old and hilly part of town and the sidewalk in front of my house is pitched and its stones jut in varied directions. Even young people in great condition complain that it's unjoggable.

And it hit me as I read about Eman's challenges with uneven surfaces that this may be a large part of my difficulty. Looks like I'll be driving myself to the college from here on where I can access flat indoor and outdoor surfaces.

Even an insight this small can make a huge difference! Thank you, Eman.
 
Happy Five YEAR Anniversary, Lefty!
Want to catch you today since I noticed you online. I may forget tomorrow on your actual big day. It's close enough.

Thanks for your continued support here, you're appreciated and I believe you're the master mind behind the Shopping Cart Therapy. Brilliant! :wink:
@Eman85
 
Thanks, not much of a celebration about my left going on right now. I believe I renewed membership in the ODIC club and hope all it turns out to be is muscle strain. In case anyone wonders THR's don't make you young again or smarter.
 
Ugh. I'm sorry.
Hopefully it eases quickly, Eman. Keep us posted if you feel like it. I'd like to hear it's resolved for you soon.
@Eman85
 
Old story, can't fix stupid. Ice has been helping just need to get it to calm down, too much to do. Not sure what triggered it but it's a few things that added together that was too much.
 
I really don't want to be young, just want to feel young!
Gotta love my OS office, called this morning and by lunch they called back and I have an appointment for Thursday. Hoping all they give me is a dunce cap to wear while I sit and ice for a while.
 
@Eman85 hopefully its nothing major and just a muscle strain like you think. Hoping this resolves quickly!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom