THR THR tell me about your recovery

I can only relate my experience but in my opinion the actual joint does a great job of replacing what we had. It's the capsule and soft tissue that doesn't like what is done to put the implant in. I wonder if younger people that have THR's have the same experience with soft tissue recovery. I know at my age muscle just doesn't respond like it did years back. It has taken quite a bit of work to just attain my goal of dressing in the middle of a room with nothing to lean on especially after my setback a couple of years ago when I injured my left.
My OS has a great team and I would recommend them. The practice keeps getting bigger but he seems to be able to maintain his level of care to individuals.
Just to keep my life interesting I'm now fighting Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot. Last time years back it was my left so I knew right away what it was. I'm hoping I finally have it on the run now after wearing the plastic off of frozen water bottles and many visits to the foot doctor.
 
I think younger THR patients generally have better soft tissue recovery because in most cases likely have healthier bones, muscles and better quality soft tissue. In most cases they're stronger, more flexible and have fewer to none, as far as medical conditions. Older patients recover well as you can see through reading here, but likely at a more gradual pace than younger patients. If you haven't already, please feel free to leave the name of your OS here, or if you prefer you can DM, Jamie, privately. We appreciate sound recommendations for those searching.

I am sorry to read that you're dealing with Plantar Fasciitis. That is something I dealt with myself many years
ago...no fun, thankfully it hasn't returned. I hope it's a thing of the past for you soon also.
@Eman85
 
I think you’re exactly right about the potential for soft tissue problems after a joint is replaced, @Eman85. I also am speaking from my own experience with a hip replacement and from observing others here on BoneSmart over the years.

Old or young, when people have joints replaced, they may be quick to blame the implant for the problems. But in reality it tends to usually be soft tissues. And, as we age, getting soft tissue problems resolved can take a lot of time and effort from a good therapist who understands what is happening. The body doesn’t like imbalances. Once it gradually adjusts to a bad joint and does whatever compensation it can, it doesn’t go willingly back into correct alignment without some level of work on the muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Add in the other medical issues that can come along as well age and, for some, “recovery” can be quite complex.

But the miracle is that we have joint replacement surgery. Without it, so many people would be disabled. I sometimes wonder how people were able to deal with arthritis before joints could actually be replaced.

I appreciate your thoughts and input on the forum. You continue to provide help and support to others. Thank you! Please continue to let us know how you’re doing.
 
I can only relate my experience but in my opinion the actual joint does a great job of replacing what we had. It's the capsule and soft tissue that doesn't like what is done to put the implant in. I wonder if younger people that have THR's have the same experience with soft tissue recovery. I know at my age muscle just doesn't respond like it did years back. It has taken quite a bit of work to just attain my goal of dressing in the middle of a room with nothing to lean on especially after my setback a couple of years ago when I injured my left.
My OS has a great team and I would recommend them. The practice keeps getting bigger but he seems to be able to maintain his level of care to individuals.
Just to keep my life interesting I'm now fighting Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot. Last time years back it was my left so I knew right away what it was. I'm hoping I finally have it on the run now after wearing the plastic off of frozen water bottles and many visits to the foot doctor.

I am 51 and had my THR a year ago and I did have issues with soft tissue recovery. To this day I am still numb on the outside of my operated side thigh.
 
With my soft tissues it’s primarily the psoas muscle which is still too contracted. I sit a lot at my computer and I believe because of my age, this increases the tightening up of that muscle over time. My therapist tells me I’m going to need annual tune-ups probably forever because of it. I’m thankful she is able to always make things better, though. She uses a combination of stretching and strengthening exercises with pressure point therapy and some manipulation of my leg. The pressure point therapy is the thing that results in the most benefit.
 
My best girlfriend since high school has an extremely gifted granddaughter that plays sports at a collegiate level. She is on a sports scholarship at her college. She has a torn labrum and now facing surgery during Christmas break. I’ll be interested to hear about her recovery seeing she’s only 19.
I told my GF she has youth on her side.
 
I can attest to the quality and the strength of the implants, I've tested mine.
I've been to physical therapist and go to the gym 4 days a week. It's not just my hips that don't respond like the muscles used to with exercise and strength training. It's interesting how every injury I had during my life seems to come back to haunt me now even though I felt I had full recovery years ago.
 
Yes, we definitely want to know about all the good surgeons out there. It helps to have a member’s experience when we need to make surgeon recommendations. Thank you.
 
Hey Forum Friend and dedicated supporter...stopping by with best wishes for a happy holiday season.
Merry Christmas, Eman! I hope it's a good one for you and yours. :banana-santa:
@Eman85


:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
@Layla Merry Christmas to you and all of the folks here on Bonesmart.
I believe I've got the Plantar Fasciitis beat in my right foot. If any others are unfortunate enough to have it there's a few things that worked for me. This time took more than the basic rolling on a frozen water bottle and the steroid shots in the heel. I was sent to PT and it didn't do anything to make me a fan of PT. Much like THR the PT overworked the problem and I was going backwards so I did what most of recommend, I quit and went and tried a different path. One thing I found that helped was a compression sleeve that has a wrap with it. Got it calmed down to where I was before PT and made 1 more trip to the Podiatrist and the last shot did the trick.
 
Happy you found relief! I’ve always enjoyed your posts since Day one of joining bonesmart.
Happy Holidays to you and your family!
 
Thanks for sharing the tips that helped you overcome Plantar Fasciitis, Eman.
It's great you found relief! :thumb:
@Eman85
 
Catching you today, in case I forget tomorrow.
HAPPY EIGHT YEAR ANNIVERSARY, LEFTY!

I hope you're having a nice Winter, Eman85
We're lucking out in my neck of the woods this week, lots of snow melting and temps in the upper 30's and low 40's. I noticed a few crazy locals shedding jackets, I even saw a person in shorts. C'mon...that's pushing it, quite a bit. :heehee: I'll never understand that.

I hope you continue to do well. I appreciate and follow the supportive and encouraging posts you share with others here.

Take good care and enjoy the rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
@Eman85
 
Thanks @Layla, hard to believe 8 years. Best part is when I took time off for my THR I never went back to work, that's the real celebration. I spent most of yesterday on a ladder so today might be a day off as a reward.
We had one cold stretch and a pretty good snow but now it's nice but wide temperature swings between lows in the 20's and high's reaching 70 some days.
Right after I posted this I checked my emails and sure enough my OS sent me my annual followup.
 
Happy 8 year anniversary. And I also want to extend my heartfelt thanks and gratitude for your support and great advice to me when I had no clue about how to recuperate from a replacement. I always find your posts very helpful and right to the point.
You made me use that shopping cart! Best advice ever!
 
Congratulations on your 8 year anniversary :flwrysmile:

I'd like to echo that your grounded, calm and practical approach to recovery has been a huge help and motivation to me during my recovery. Thank you so much!!!
 
Right after I posted this I checked my emails and sure enough my OS sent me my annual followup.
It still amazes me that your OS is committed to long term care as opposed to only appearing at the "scene of the crime". Only kidding about "crime", but that's what it feels like at the time. :wink:
In my mind I've coined your shopping cart tip as Eman's Shopping Cart Therapy. It's a great tip and I'm sure many have taken your advice. Temps in the 70's?!! I wish. :SUNsmile: Happy Saturday, Eman!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom