THR THR Posterior - Slowly Healing

@msart
I am so glad you went back to where your original surgery happened. I empathize with your various emotions and feelings gs. You have gone through sooooo much the last 6 months with going through a
difficult divorce, sudden accident to your hip, emergency surgery, then moving, and recovering from all this, while being suddenly on your own. That's too much for anyone to endure, yet you DID IT. FEEL YOUR PERSONAL GROWTH & Power you've gained In 6 Months!!
Let us hear what your O.S. Says today ..... sending Hugs flying to Texas!
 
Today’s visit went so great!! I cried on the way there, in the parking lot, as I could see the hospital I was at for 11 days back in Sept. I just had to sit & take this all in. I had an xray, chatted w/ his PA, & then my dr came in & I literally hugged his neck!! Really a great feeling.

Everything looks good, my gait, ROM is all on point. I have been concerned bc my ROM is not the same as non operated leg, he reminded me that THR are not intended for 50yr olds & it may not return. Encouraged me to keep working on it, & that I have another 6 months to heal. I was reminded by him that things could have been a lot worse. So I am thankful. There are a couple bone fragments that he wants to watch, but at this time he is not concerned. We had a wonderful conversation & he thanked me for being such a wonderful patient-due to the 2 surgeries. Overall was a great visit & I could finally breathe when I left his office. Literally!!!
 
@2nd Hippy -thank you so much for you kind words. Nothing about any of this has been easy, but I am on the other side, thankfully. I love this group, I am so very thankful for the encouragement of total strangers, just the support has meant the world to me. I just love how we help each other just because!! :cheers:
 
Oh goodness...I got emotional just reading the first paragraph in your post about your OS visit, envisioning you sitting there reflecting like that. What a wonderful appointment and update. You must have felt overjoyed walking out of there. I couldn't be any happier for you!

Thanks for sharing and supporting others as you do. You've done your share of paying it forward here.
Blessings to you!
@msart
 
@msart !!!

I was emotional reading your post. You have been through so much and have proved that having a strong, positive outlook is just as important for healing as the medical team involved with our care.

:puppysmooze:
 
Just popping in here to let everyone know that even at 6 months you can still over do it. It just happens. Really been feeling good lately, survived the trip to see my Dr & home with no issues. I did some gardening this weekend & made the mistake of helping my dad start his mower. Just too much, too soon. I have been uncomfortable but not bad this week-just continuing on with life & really not thinking too much about it. I went to get a massage today & she told me my hip was swollen-well no wonder. So I am taking tomorrow off from “life” & going to ice & rest my hip. I guess I needed a little reminder that I am still not over this & i need to watch what I’m doing. I’m sure a day or 2 of babying my hip & I’ll be back to normal. I’m hopeful that after one year-this won’t happen, but idk really.
 
Hi there

Great idea to rest up. It does take a full year and then some. At 6 months your threshold is higher than earlier days but it still has a limit obviously. Thanks for sharing. Now I also know what to expect and won't push to be Super Woman.

Happy resting @msart. Take care of yourself.

:angel:
 
@Morgan Le Fay -good description-on my threshold is higher. So true. I’m navigating this as I go & it feels completely different than it did at the beginning. It’s a learning process. For SURE!! Thank you!! And yes-don’t push to be super woman just yet!! Lol
 
We've all over done it at some point in recovery. Just take a chill day & you will be back at day to day stuff in no time.
 
Hi msart,
I don't like to be the bearer of unpleasant news, but you can have minor setbacks, if you over exert, even beyond one year post op. Listening to our body is crucial. If you begin experiencing discomfort / pain during or after certain activities, scale back and allow time to rest and recover.

I am happy to read how well you're doing since your revision. Keep it up and enjoy the end of the week! :SUNsmile:
@msart
 
I love your honest posts, @msart! I’m only at 2 1/2 months from surgery, so well behind you. I’m one to push myself, too, so it’s been quite a reality check throughout this recovery to keep myself in check. I was doing some exercises & stretches that were causing more soreness & stiffness & once I stopped, things settled down. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I hope your hip settles down soon & you can get back to your gardening
 
@Leedogmom2 & @myglasshalffull - thank you so much. I want to be honest about this recovery bc it is nothing like I expected. I expected that I’d be better sooner, although no one told me that. So it’s the good, bad @ the ugly. Still had to ice today-but now that I have realized what this feeling is I can them do something about it. My surgeon thinks I’ve pulled a muscle. So I’m just doing the minimal right now, along w/ ice & rest. Hoping to bounce back in a few days.

@Layla -thank you for being honest, no matter if unpleasant. Certainly not what I/we want to hear but being aware is half the battle, I think.

Hope everyone is healing away & hanging in!!:good-bad:Celebrate the highs, for sure!!!
 
Feeling for you :flwrysmile:

On the one hand we need to manage expectations and on the other, we have expectations. We are human and we imagine a story of what life will be like. Think system, rather than hip. A bit like that song, every bone connected to the next bone (if I'm not showing my age). That's misleading though. It's not just bone, it's not just bone and muscle. There are nerves and all manner of complex connections too complicated for me to even explain. When anything in the connection is malfunctioning then literally any other element can also malfunction as a consequence. Think a plate of spaghetti, on top of that the neural wiring can get messed up. Things switch on and off out of sequence or don't switch on or don't switch off. That's recovery and it will take a while. Maybe it would help to say to yourself, have I turned it on and back off again? Like a computer. A bit of slow and relaxed flexing of things, basically turning things on and then off from head to toe. If nothing else it will relax you. At best it may help you to identify areas that are flaring up.

Hold on and have courage... You'll get there and some days you'll get strawberries instead of lemons, I promise!
 
@Deni444 - I SO remember that song!! Now I’m showing my age-lol. You are so correct-our bodies are so amazing if u think about it. Everything works together, in sync, until it doesn’t. I’m actually not too upset about it, I’m very fortunate to have had minimal set backs-so I am very thankful for that. I have rested much of the past 2 days, just took a break from life. Which is OK. One big thing I’ve learned through this, is it is ok to not be able to do things. I am taking care of me-completely these days. So maybe that was the lesson here. Whatever it is-I’m learning on to adjust to this new life w/ my new hip. I’m just so thankful for this group of amazing people who take the time to support & cheer each other on. The world needs more of that!!!
 
That's a really powerful life lesson :flwrysmile:You've certainly given me some personal food for thought. When I look back over life I've often been dumped on but I guess the truth is that mostly I have a tendency to dump on myself first. Many a time, a personal decision that focused a little more on my personal needs would have made a massive difference in the long run.

You're so, so right. We are all getting so much more than merely 'hip' advice here in this group. So thankful! You're going great and will keep doing great :loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
This recovery is a lesson in realizing that going slowly is not a bad thing. This world in which we live is so focused on accomplishing things. Learning to be patient is a huge accomplishment just one that does not appear to be valued in this culture.
 
You all are getting very, very wise!!! Powerful posts, BoneSmarties!!!
 
@Deni444 & @wingy-Im pretty sure this might be a lifelong lesson for us all. I love that we are at least thinking & talking about it. I’ve long said this recovery is some physical but a lot mental. I suppose bc we have so much time on our hands-resting & such. I will however, be more mindful myself on everything really. I hope that lesson I do not forget. I don’t see how I could bc this has truly been life changing.

Physically, my hip is feeling much better. I had my massage therapist, who is also a good friend (lucky for me) look at it today & she said it looks much better than earlier this week. I am feeling it much less. But I did think of something today, if I don’t try new things, how will I know? So I’m definitely going to keep trying, and REALLY start listening to my body. I thought I already was, but this one slipped through on me. Hoping as each day passes/this will get easier. Maybe just like the gym-I am having to concentrate on using both legs. It is not coming natural anymore. Progress is slow. But that is ok too! Happy healing friends!!:curtsey:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom