THR THR Posterior - Slowly Healing

I had one last year & was also concerned because two falls (one resulted in my left ankle fracturing in 3 places) & slip on ice & fall fractured my hip.
And the ankle one was really stupid cause I was rushing down 6 carpeted stairs in my house & BOOM, down I went. Seemed like a rather big injury for such an innocuous incident but surgery & 3 months of no walking wasn't any fun. I'd rather get my other hip replaced than go through ankle surgery again. Not painful just horribly inconvenient.
In any case my results were osteopenia. It's bone loss density & can come with aging & I'm 73. I never smoked & that's another cause.
Good luck with results, keep us posted.
 
I DID IT!! I took a long, wonderful BATH :bath: . It was glorious!! No issues whatsoever. I think my own fear had me so scared, but tonight-I tackled it. And I’m already looking forward to another one tomorrow. So I’m cheering you on over here!! You got this-hopefully soon you will be ready to take a soak.
Hi msart!!! So sorry I missed this, things have just been so busy and I haven't been on here for a while, didn't realise you'd written this! I guess that tells its own story...Anyway super glad for you getting in the bath at last :loveshwr: Funnily enough your last post saying you were going to try spurred me on to try too - I was fine getting in then (without water!) but really nervous trying to get up and down and ended up kind of crashing down a bit...Tried again a couple of weeks later and YIPPEE bath time is here again!!! Having one every night since and loving it - getting easier all the time but still feels a bit awkward leaning forward to turn taps on and off.
Fantastic that you're back in the garden, well done! Still a bit cold here (bitter wind and some frosts) but will be sowing my first seeds this week. I'm generally making great progress but still finding some movements awkward - and if I sit/lie directly on the scar there is some tenderness (not pain, more discomfort). Going swimming a lot but still not up to same level as before the op, less stamina and a bit slower. Also doing some walking but getting tired by the end of the walk especially with uphill. Seems my energy and stamina still not up to where they were pre-op, even though no pain to speak of now. I've been really encouraged to hear that I'm not alone in that. Sometimes I feel so grateful to be where I am now and other times I just feel a bit frustrated and down.
 
@flamingoprint -i completely understand ALL of this. I’m just no where near where I was pre op either, and I’m just hoping I’m continuing to improve, bc I really don’t have anything to gage it with. I am doing new things-so that is a plus. I can only assume we will get there-eventually. Let’s focus on the grateful!!

Yay for the bath! Keep doing it-it is getting a bit less awkward-lol. Once you’re down-it is glorious!! :bath:
 
I’m just no where near where I was pre op either, and I’m just hoping I’m continuing to improve, bc I really don’t have anything to gage it with.

I've come to the conclusion that it's a case of a) some energy is still being taken up with healing and also b) that the muscles, tendons etc are still getting stronger so needing more effort. But as long as it's going in an upwards trajectory overall (with bumps on the way!) you're right - we should focus on the grateful :) :-) (:
 
Bone density results came in today-and I have no osteoporosis and my right hip & spine is in great shape!! Thank goodness (maybe my weight lighting exercises are paying off). I was extremely concerned with my non operated hip-bc I really felt like I forced it to do so much extra work in my early months. So I am thrilled w/ these results. This means-my accident, was just that. A freak accident-my RA, inflammation & the misstep/twisting/turning just right-broke my hip. Still kind of scary to me, but I can not focus on that-bc I’ll be scared forever & that is no kind of life to live.

I have had a really busy week-and so far my new hip is hanging in. Still feel it mid afternoon-nothing a good rest can’t fix. Talked to my surgeon, as I sent him my bone density results, I am contemplating going back to the scene of the crime (aka Galveston, tx) next month to visit a friend & see my surgeon. It will be 6 months. I have not seen an orthopedic since Sept. so I would really like him to see my gait & ROM. I think seeing him would make me feel more confident in myself. I am just am unsure about making the trip, it’s 5 hours from here. So I’m going to ponder on that.

Hope everyone is happily healing along. Don’t give up!! Everyday is a new day. :loveshwr:
 
Nice update! Good to hear the news. Glad you're feeling reassured, msart.
I think seeing him would make me feel more confident in myself. I am just am unsure about making the trip, it’s 5 hours from here. So I’m going to ponder on that.
You could make a couple stops to break up the drive, like maybe a lunch break halfway through and a bathroom, walk / stretch type break also.
Have a great weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
Probably do you a world of good to see OS & friend & as Layla suggested frequent stops for bathroom break or walk around a bit should help.
My son lives in Ft. Worth area & my brother & SIL are in San Antonio & it's close to 4 1/2 hour-5 hour drive & we stop at least 3x's when we go down to San Antonio.
 
@msart Oh My! I've been reading your posts for months, and I praise your fortitude and continued upward progress, with a few hiccups . You have been a role model for many.
I agree to seeing your original O.S is so worth it. Perhaps you have a local friend or someone who will share driving with you and Break up the trip with hourly rest stops. You'd have company support just in case you're too tired, and conversation as you get there. Hope you find someone to be your travel buddy.

2nd Hippy
 
@2nd Hippy, @Leedogmom2, @myglasshalffull & @Layla -thank you all!! Wonderful ideas for me to try bc I AM DOING IT this!!! March 18 I have an appointment to see my fantastic surgeon, I am really looking forward to seeing him, although we have texted, talked & FaceTimed over these past 5 months-just a face to face is going to feel really good. To look at me now, you would not see all the highs & lows over the past few months, so I am really proud of myself for doing this w/ no OS, no spouse, nada. I have however had the support from BS staff & patients (HUGE GAME CHANGER), parents, kids, grandbaby love (she’s only 2) but that helped so much, my wonderful tribe of friends & my drs here, so I really wasn’t alone. Oh & let’s not forget Lily, my faithful furry companion. So the trip is settled. Onward & upward-making progress.

Happy, healing thoughts to everyone on this journey, just starting or wherever you are in healing. Things do get better, it’s a LONG road & you can’t see it right in front of you-on a daily-but I feel everything I did has helped me get to this point. So it does improve-slow & steady. :wave:
 
Hi all!! Today is my 6 MONTH ANNIVERSARY!! Idk why nobody wished me well-lol-jk. lol-Had to poke a jab.

Things are going really well, in fact today I swept, mopped & vacuumed with zero issues. I teared up a little finishing up, bc I do remember not long ago I could not tackle any of that, much less in one day. I felt almost no discomfort, the only real thing I am concerned with is my ROM on my surgery leg. I do work on that daily & it has improved somewhat, just not back to normal. I intend to ask my OS next week when I see him. I also have been putting off some periodontal work that was scheduled pre accident & I want to make sure it’s safe to move forward with that, bc my OS said for all dental work antibiotics for the rest of my life, so I’m unsure bc it will be big undertaking-due to my bridge has moved.

Other than that, life is moving right along. Sleeping not 100% back to normal, some days are better than others. Baths are going better, feeling much more confident & comfortable now. Doing a small bit of gardening, however I do notice my knees are just not as strong & I have trouble moving them. My surgeries, my accident is never very far from my mind through.i am still so extremely careful. IDK if that will pass eventually or not.

Spring is otw-sunshine makes me happier. I hope everyone healing along & finding all the support they need from this wonderful group.
:loveshwr:
 
Congratulations on your anniversary! It sounds like you’re well on your way to counting this as a successful recovery. It’s good to hear. Most people are surprised that full recovery actually can take a year or more. But it’s usually the case. You’ll get there!
 
@msart

Congratulations!!

You are an inspiration to many of us and it's great to hear that you are doing so well.

Thank you for your honesty and transparency with your recovery.

~ Ash :cheers:
 
Happy 6 month anniversary! I remember mine & was a day I danced for first time after my surgery! My GF had big 50's party in her yard with Elvis impersonator so dancing was on the menu for sure!
You will continue to improve.
I just started Year 3 & my accident is never far from my mind, take my phone everywhere I go even if it's just downstairs to throw on a load of wash.
I don't obsess over it but I'm very aware of my surroundings at all times.
You will be fine, you've been such a great inspiration for so many of us with your positive attitude.
Continued good health!
 
Happy Six Month Anniversary, msart!
We normally extend anniversary wishes for three months as it's more difficult to keep track beyond then, but this is a special one...you're halfway to your one year anniversary!

I teared up a little finishing up, bc I do remember not long ago I could not tackle any of that, much less in one day.
It can be emotional and bring on feelings of gratitude as you marvel at the second chance this wonderful surgery. provides. I'm happy for you! I can relate as I had the same reaction the first time I realized I was able to get out of my vehicle without manually lifting my leg, by grasping the back of my thigh, to slowly lower it to the ground. I couldn't believe it was real...no pain...I almost tested it again to make sure I wasn't imagining it, then...tears.

Safe travels to your post op with the OS next week. I wish you the best, please let us know how it goes.
Happy Monday! :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you ALL for the continued support & well wishes. This will be the first time I have traveled in 6 months-I used to love to travel, so we will soon see how this new hip does. I am REALLY looking forward to this trip. I think back at how frustrated I was, bc recovery is SLOW-i thought I’d never get here. So to everyone on the journey-keep on, keeping on bc things do eventually get better. Slow & steady wins the race!!
 
#msart ,
You made my day, celebrating your 6 month milestone...
Today is my 3 month anniversary, and I'm 1/2 way to your 6 month. (But when I am at my 6th, you're on your 9th!!!)
Continue to keep us updated on your journey, as I enjoy hearing how far you have come. An Inspiration for us behind you! Thank you .
 
@2nd Hippy -that you & yes I certainly will. Congratulations on 3 months-it will continue to get better every month now. I look at it like-I’m just doing the fine detail work now-the base is done, I think. Just keep moving, stretching-until it is uncomfortable is what my dr said. We are going to make it & I can not wait. :wave:
 
Today is the day!! I made it to Texas last week & im seeing my OS this afternoon. Right now I’m feeling all sorts of feelings. Super proud of myself for making this trip & looking forward to seeing this man who I think probably saved my life. When I left here 6 months ago, I could not walk & wasn’t in the best mind space-probably due to my divorce. But I have overcome so much in this short (felt long!!) amount of time. I’m so excited to see him, in person (we texted a lot) & show him how far I’ve come!! And just fyi-I’m still slow, my ROM is not perfect YET, but i nowhere near where I was. I’m a little nervous & will probably cry, bc this healing came from inside!! I will update soon on our visit.

To everyone healing, yes it is slow, but YES you can do it. Stay focused, bc when ur day comes it will be so worth the wait!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom