THR THR Posterior - Slowly Healing

On the one hand it's a downer when just as you get over one thing another comes up. On the other hand imagine coping with one more thing at the same time. That's one of my coping thoughts... I've had a difficult three years with my legs, pre op. In a way, I think it's been like a training course. Building up stamina, like a marathon runner. You think you're at your limit but guess what there was more in the tank. On and on and on... Mentally and emotionally exhausting and that's what I've found to be the real battle. My mental and emotional stamina has built up but just like the physical, it is a painful process at times. After the inevitable and I guess rational meltdowns, I pick myself back up and I'm off again. Stronger but battle scared. The problem with those kind of wounds, they're invisible. For a time they need a little TLC or else they get infected. You are showing incredible strength and it sounds like you've run multiple marathons at this point. Marathon runners need to be careful, don't try and run with a cold or an upset tummy... You're asking for it. Be incredibly kind to yourself but be incredibly determined with yourself. Know you can't run alone... We're all here for you. Complete strangers who hear the call of a fellow competitor :loveshwr:
 
It's definitely a very mental journey. Losing your independence is not fun, especially when you had a perfectly healthy hip but you slipped on tiny ice patch, fell & rest as they say is history.
But we've all learned so much from each other & this forum. I've often said I would not know where I would have been w/o all of you!
Even after 3 years I'm still learning & right now sitting on an ice pack! Why? Who knows? My right knee been achy last couple days but it's been chilly & damp & I'm guessing that might be the reason.
Or might just be an arthritic episode. Tylenol here I come.
Fortunately I don't have a crazy day planned so I'll see how it all shakes out.
I remember the early days with crying spells. They'd come & go.
And well meaning "friends" that knew someone that was running a marathon & pole vaulting in 4 weeks after surgery! LOL!
But this is where we come for support & information. But the support part can be almost more important than the mechanics of recovery.
Hope your Monday is a happy day. Stay well.
 
I know exactly where to come when I need a pick me up!! You all are so wonderful, supportive & kind. I love that about this group.

Feeling OK, not great. Still icing, resting, not doing too much-think this set back has been the longest I’ve had. But I’m not giving up the fight. I giggled @myglasshalffull bc I’m sitting on ice pack too-so we can sit on ice packs together. Lol. :heehee:
 
This really is a beautiful group. I second everything you've said @msart

Having this space is invaluable. I was just thinking about the New Year thread when everyone pops in to say hello. Just wondering how many people like you and I have been helped by Bonesmart over all these years since it began. A big, big number!

It takes us all but wouldn't be possible without the dedication of the Bonesmart volunteers who dedicate their time to keeping this platform going. Thanks doesn't really do it justice. Thanks anyway Bonesmart Admins, you are a precious group of people :flwrysmile:
 
Well my ice pack sitting seemed to resolve whatever my issue was & I went on to a full day of dog rescue & housework at home later in the day! These bodies of ours are very fickle sometimes.
 
I"ve been catching up on you. It's quite a journey, yes? I so identify with you and the ups and downs. I am SO impressed you went back to the "scene of the crime" and conquered some fears. You are a source of inspiration and I thank you for your continued support of all of us and your sharing your journey.
 
@blurose -quite a journey is an understatement!!! But I have been taking it all in stride-I mean what can you do, really? Thank you so much for that.

Feeling much better today. Thinking I MAY possibly be at the end of this set back. Went to gym, did upper body only today & have had a full day w/o any issues. Still icing & being extra careful. To be honest, this scared me. I do not wish to regress. I just over did it, the trip, the gardening, my grand daughter & my dad. I’m going to figure this out though. Eventually.

Thank you to everyone who commented & is cheering me on. I’d be lost w/o this group. Just as @Deni444 said-this is a beautiful group!!!:loveshwr:
 
Glad to hear you may be out of the woods... Yay, onwards and ever onwards!

Just reviewing your journey a little alongside the recent setback... I have time on my hands currently :). It's pretty inspiring, to say the least. I know that's not much of a consolation as you walk through treacle (sticky stuff like honey) to secure a solid and stable recovery. I did want you to know that sitting here one week out in my chair, already hating the chair I loved a week ago... The fact you were in a garden and even had the opportunity to overdo it helps! After all you've been through, it gives me hope that I will get up again. It also helps prepare me for the reality of recovery. Hopefully, I'll remember your story when I hit similar potholes on the road to recovery.

Thanks for sharing and please do keep sharing your journey... The good, the bad and the ugly. A single update has now helped and encouraged me numerous times during my first week of recovery :flwrysmile:
 
Isn't that just the beauty of this forum. We are all at different stages in life & recovery but there's always someone just beginning the journey & we can so relate to the ups & downs of those first few weeks & beyond.
Yes, keep sharing your stories everyone because we all continue to learn.
 
@Deni444 -you absolutely just made my day. You are so right-I should be thankful I even got to do some gardening, bc a few months ago-I truly did not think that was possible AND the most important I have inspired you. That made me smile really big. That is what this is all about I think.

In my early days-where you are I would just read anything I could get my eyes on. I read posts, stories, re read my stuff-all of it has shaped me to where I am now. It has led to me to think deeper, mostly-no doubt I have to continue to try to see what I can & can not do now. And no doubt I and you will have set backs on this journey. This was my longest set back-maybe 8-10 days, which is long for me because before I could rest up one night & be good. But I did ALOT-so now I know. I do hope you keep my story & others as you progress in your recovery. You got this-take care of you & your new hip. What a journey this has been. ALL of it!! :hugzz:
 
Checking in with this amazing support group. This week has been really good, really busy, doing my normal life. Working at my little flower shop & keeping my grand baby a bit-honestly has worn me out. Just celebrated 7 months a few days ago-focusing on the blessings of what I AM able to do & now (since last set back) if I start feeling a slight bit tired or this feeling I can’t describe-I take a break. I even told blakely (grand baby 3) honeys hip is hurting & I need my ice pack. So we BOTH, sat on ice packs and watched her cartoon shows-lol. I hope that made some laugh.
Happy healing everyone. Take it slow & hang in there. :loveshwr:
 
Wonderful to hear you've had a good week! Your Grand Baby's sound adorable and I imagine they put lot's of smiles on your face. Onwards, ever onwards :flwrysmile:
 
This maybe so weird-but I’m asking anyway. So I’m 7 months out & this past week has been super busy for me. Probably the busiest I’ve been since September, and although no pain to speak of-I feel like my operated leg-knee, foot, toes and ankle feel like they need to be stretched. It’s a weird feeling & I don’t know how else to describe it. I know bones don’t stretch-but it kinda feels like that. When I do stretch them out-they feel better and almost like they are balancing out. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? It must sound crazy but it’s the best I can describe it. I am stretching away bc my dr said to keep pushing it bc I’m healing up to a year & i really would like my ROM to continue to improve. Maybe this is helping, idk.

Hope everyone is hanging in & healing up nicely w/ minimal issues, I know the days are long & it’s hard to see progress-but tevovdry is slow but you’ll get there. :loveshwr:
 
I get it, yes, there's days when I should stretch before I start my day & I don't but stretching is so important even if you never had your hip replaced.
I've had days where every joint on surgery side felt sore, not sure this is what you are referring to but we've had some lousy damp rainy weather here for several days & it really affects my body.
Knee, foot, thigh & hip, it's crazy.
My knee felt like it had a "toothache." But I'm pretty sure it's just arthritic.
 
That was me before surgery. I think I let things get so bad that I had constant soft tissue issues. It's my understanding that it's the the interconnected soft tissue, including Fascia (look it up) that becomes tense. This fascia is like a network that travels between and around all the organs and soft tissue. I find imaging it, helps to understand how and why we get referred pain and odd parts of our body hurting despite being seemingly unconnected. The fascia is literally connecting everything and is sending signals all over. If it becomes tense, you can imagine, maybe the consequence.

This as a result of being very active and also maybe a little tense in yourself. When we're like that we don't fully relax. We hold on to the tension, like a stiff neck causing a headache. Intuitively, you're probably stretching in response and thus releasing the tension. You could try doing it more purposefully and incorporating some gentle abdominal breathing. It will do wonders for your soft tissue health. I had a wonderful physio that taught me this and it kept me on my feet and operational before severe decline set in.
 
Last edited:
This as a result of being very active and also maybe a little tense in yourself. When we're like that we don't fully relax. We hold on to the tension
Also, there is still favoring going on sometimes in protection of the new joint, instead of in protection of the failing joint. Muscles can become tight and imbalanced from compensating, stretching brings relief and balance...I am adding to Deni's great response.
@msart
 
@Deni444, @Layla & @myglasshalffull -thsnk you all. Great responses. I knew about the fascia but forgot-lol. My massage girl works on that & we have talked about it (she does alot of “foot work” in our massages). Maybe time for another massage-ha!! Layla-I do agree with my favoring one side-I’m hoping things are trying to balance out now. Part of the process I guess. Luckily no pain or uncomfortableness! This is so much more than just a hip replacement!! Crazy how complex our bodies are!!!
 
Glad you knew about the fascia, that in itself is a great tool in your recovery tool kit.

My mobility got too bad for normal physio to be of much help. My range of motion prevented getting into most of the necessary positions. What helped me tremendously was Somatics. I worked with an expert virtually to get me started but it's so gentle and easy you can incorporate it into your day or wake up routine. It is very much focused on the soft tissue and is a full body approach. The reason I'm mentioning it to you is in response to the balance. It can potentially fix compensation issues very quickly with very little effort. It basically rebalances, I guess at some level using muscle memory and natural biomechanics.

There are your average number of nuts out there and other well meaning but under qualified practitioners out there. Some as usual charging a fortune. I am confident concerning the credentials of Susan Koenig (look her up). She qualified under the guy who first developed the techniques. She's getting on in years now and not a particularly exciting watch, a bit school mistress but very nice. She has a comprehensive program (play list) of guided, very gentle exercises on YouTube. Bonus, completely free.
@somaticsforyou

Just chuck the suggestion out if it's not for you... But she came to my mind as being able to fix your body balance. It's so very gentle, it's not even exercising. Very safe to do. It's nothing like yoga or similar. It's slow, micro movement. You'll be amazed at how seemingly doing so little can be beneficial so quickly.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom