Guest viewing is limited

THR Teacat has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My surgeon purposely made my leg longer and his reason was that he'd put the new hip back 'where it should be'. My hips were so worn out that they'd embedded further into the socket, in effect making me shorter, so I know that it is longer but when I go back in to have the other one done he'll do it the same. This means I'll be taller, yey, and when you're only 5' 3'', on a good day, any extra is gratefully accepted!! :tada: It does feel like its a huge difference though so it's good to hear others talking of the weird uneven feeling even if there isn't a problem. :ok: Take care Teacat and look after yourself xx Janet :flwrysmile:

Ohhhh i wonder if my legs longer? I'm only 5'2 so any extra height is appreciated. lol
 
Hmmmm... I was 5'9" till two years ago, and then suddenly 5'8" :( Everybody thought it was just normal shrinking with age. Maybe my OS can give me back that extra inch!!
 
Maybe i should be taller, i'm the smallest in my family. Now i know why! lol
 
Thank you all my bonesmarti friends for the cheers & good wishes! I came home from the hospital yesterday (Thursday) afternoon. I mentioned to my OS that my operated leg felt longer. He said he did lengthen it because when he measured it needed to be done. He also said not to worry about it yet its too early. I have been on top of my pain meds. The hospital nurses would not give it to me unless I asked and even then it was like I had to pass a quiz before they would give one to me. Thank goodness I had my iPhone & I could set my alarm for when I was due a pill because I was in &out of sleep most of the time (especially at night). My whole backside is sore from lying & sitting so much. But I am so thankful the joint pain is gone! I am WBAT, I haven't looked at my scar yet - eek! Since I've been home my 4 yo wants to stay right by my side. This morning I awoke to baby crying '4 yo crying and part of me wished I was back at the hospital!!! Lol! Home PT is coming by this afternoon.
 
Teacat, four year olds worry when you're In hospital. Few days and they relax a bit. Crying in the night, someone else has to soothe. Sometimes hospital is a break. Lol
Aud
 
Teacat Good to know you're home, and you've been ontop of the pain!! :) You got me on WBAT-- I had to look it up! Google is my friend...:wink: I cannot imagine coming home to little ones. You are a brave brave woman! Sounds like you slept some last night, too! :) :) :zzz:
 
Teacat... on monday night Amber, my seven year old, threw up on the stairs. Six stairs, cream carpet. Took a lot of scrubbing. L
 
Teacat Sounds like those hospital nurses need some re education on post op pain relief so glad you are home again. My operated leg also appears longer than the other one I was told that by 3-4 months this would not be so much of an issue but if it was I would need an insert in the other shoe. Take care and its true what they say every day it gets a little easier
 
So glad you are home Teacat! The nurses were the same way in Memphis, had to ask for pain meds. Good thinking to set your alarm. If you failed to ask it would be another hour or so before you saw the nurse again and the pain would have sky rocketed by then. Glad those days are over! My husband would double or triple pack gallon baggies of ice and they would last a good 8 hours. Not sure if I already told you but it really helped. Let me know how home PT goes. Mine was really simple. Talk to you soon. :yes:
 
Hi tea cat....My issue is that my operated left leg was already 4cm longer due to polio in my right leg
The OS said he would do his best not to lengthen further...it seems that larger femoral heads are a key cause of lengthing but they also are
The best to avoid dislocation...from reading the literature on lld...for many people its a short term perceptual issue because your leg would have been pulled...twisted...with some muscle incision....so try not to worry...the key is to become pain free.....clifford
 
Teacat
Welcome to the other side. Now its recovery time. Dont forget the mantra: elevate, ice, rest and pain control
İ had the feeling that my operated leg was much longer. Every week i realize that the difference gets less and less because the muscles get back to normal from their swollen condition. Thus, no worries.
 
Hi everyone! Doing very well. It feels better to be up walking than lying or sitting. Taking 1 Percocet every 4 hours and I haven't been in any pain. I have been icing too and me and my ice are best friends - so soothing! Thank you all for your reassurances about leg length. I certainly hope it works itself out. It not only feels or seems longer but visually it is. When I sit my left knee is out further than the right and when I stand straight on my left leg, the right leg doesn't touch the ground. I don't want to rely on a shoe lift because what if I want to go barefoot during summer? Or use flip flops? Oh I hope it evens out! Now that the surgery is over, I guess I need something else to worry about:wink:
PT came yesterday and gave me a few more exercises to do. Nothing painful or hard to do. The home Pt and hospital PT were very adamant about not doing straight leg lifts just yet. That was a relief to hear. Maybe this is TMI but I have not been able to have a BM since surgery. Yikes! I'm not in any pain but starting to get concerned. I've eaten dried prunes, drank metamucil, drank Starbucks coffee, taking stool softeners, nothing is working. I wanted to wait to use a laxative as a last resort.
My husband told me that the anesthesiologist had a very difficult time intubating me. Said my tonsils were swollen and tried 5 different times. They wrote a letter for my medical file. I was shocked because I have had a few other surgeries and there has never been a problem. I did have a slight runny nose and a little cough before surgery so maybe that was the reason. I never felt bad and didn't even think it was a cold. The weather here is changing to spring (last weekend it was 75 degrees and this weekend back to 50's) so I assumed it was just some minor sniffles like I always get this time of year when the temps swing back and forth. The other thing my husband told me was when they brought me to my room, I had a tight grip on the PCA pump. The nurses were trying to get me settled with all the IV tubes and apparently I wouldn't let go of it and the nurse had to pry it out of my hands! :heehee: I don't remember any of this!
Got my dressing changed and saw the scar. It measures 4 inches. I'm still in awe with all that is involved with this surgery that it happened through a 4 inch opening! I've got some bruising around the scar which I anticipated but I also have bruising on the inside of both of my thighs, uh? I was also surprised that my OS didn't say anything about the 90 degree rule, just weight bearing as tolerated. Although, I don't think I could go past 90 degrees if I tried to but I think I will put myself on that rule until I ask him during my follow up visit.
 
Every week i realize that the difference gets less and less because the muscles get back to normal from their swollen condition. Thus, no worries.

sansabosa I'm holding onto that!

The nurses were the same way in Memphis, had to ask for pain meds.
Weezi Isn't that crazy?! We've just had major surgery! And all I asked for was 1 pill and they acted like I was asking for too much.

Audball So sorry about your 7 yo getting sick! How in the world were you able to clean it? I hope she or someone else helped you.

thank you Poppet for the articles. I had read them before surgery but I'll be reading them again with new eyes and understanding now that I have had my surgery.

zauberflöte Nah, not brave, just half to. Believe me, I almost asked to stay in the hospital another night. My husband is a trooper and my poor mom is so tired. I am getting good rest but I don't like seeing every else suffer from lack of sleep.
 
Hi Teacat. Your TMI story immediately brought back un-fond memories. I looked back at my notes for you: after six days of doing the fiber/flax/prune routine, I caved in and took 3 ducolax. 12 hours later......blissful relief. Well, maybe blissful is the wrong word to associate with this, but the relief was enormously gratifying. Anyway, don't keep suffering. This is really one of the easiest things to get past. (Or get passed! Pun intended. :)

Sharon
 
Teacat... I had to clean it. The rest of my selfish family slept soundly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom