Guest viewing is limited

THR Teacat has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Teacat! Well it's Friday...how did it go?? Did ya flow yet?? :groan: Just checking in on ya! Let us know, we are thinking about you! :kittykiss:
 
Hey Teacat,
You have been on my mind lately and I certainly hope you are doing ok. Those first few weeks out can be difficult. I went through a couple of them just zoned out watching TV all the time. Would love to hear from you when your feeling up to it. :friends:

Hugs,
Weezi
 
Hello! I'm back! I've had the most horrible experience! The evening of my last post I started vomiting and my husband called the nurse help line with our insurance company. They instructed him to rush me to the ER. I then spent the next 7 days in the hospital. Basically, the cummulative effects of the anesthesia from surgery, the moriphine and the percocet caused my digestive system to go to sleep. It didn't matter what I was doing nothing was moving and I became impacted. It was taking my body much longer than usual to "wake up" that they were talking surgery, thinking I had an obstruction. They ran a CT scan which showed no obstruction and it just took me a couple of extra days for my digestive system to start working again. I'm fine now and "things" are moving but I'm not taking any pain meds other than Tylenol. In fact, I have been totally off any type of pain meds since I went to the ER and throughout my hospital stay.
I don't know why it happened. I've had other surgeries before, used pain meds and never had a problem like this. I was taking stool softeners and drinking plenty of water. They took very good care of me at the hospital but I wouldn't wish this on anyone! It was just a horrible, horrible experience!
 
Oh my goodness you poor thing, it sounds awful!! I know we all know about problems in 'getting things moving' but what you had was far worse than that and quite frightening I would imagine? I really hope your recovery continues now without any more nasty setbacks!
 
Welcome Teacat! Couldn't have said it better than Weezi re ice and meds.
It was like extracting an impacted tooth trying to find out from nursing staff exactly what the OS had prescribed, the dosage and the frequency!
Mow I know that I can have some control and plan around my physio!
Good luck!
 
Bless your heart Teacat, all this time I thought you were just trying to cope. I never dreamed you had something that serious going on. I am so sorry that you had to endure that but am thankful that you came through it alright. I had a friend whose adult daughter went to the ER because she was impacted. They had to perform emergency surgery and thankfully she recovered but it was extremely serious. I am just so glad you are OK! You sound like your feeling so much better and getting back to your old self again. Now you can concentrate on your hip recovery and look forward to the better days ahead. :yay: :SUNsmile: :yay:
 
Man oh man Teacat ! that was awful! I am so sorry you had to go through it, but so very thankful your husband was there with you :) I'm glad they took good care of you at the hospital, and most of all I'm glad you're home and can concentrate on recovery now. :) :) :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Teacat has arrived!
Every path has it puddles, Teacat, but you hit a real sink hole. So glad all is now well and that you are home and can really begin your recovery. On the plus side, your body has had a full week to do some healing while all this was going on. Follow the BoneSmart mantra for recovery and things will fall nicely into place.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Teacat has arrived!
 
Thank you everyone for checking in on me! I'm trying to figure out where I am in my recovery with this "bump" in the road. So, tomorrow I will be 3 weeks post op. I am walking around the house unassisted, albeit with a pretty big limp. Not due to pain but due to leg length difference. Home PT has me doing a modified wall squat (holding for a count of 10), standing on one leg (new hip) for 10 sec and walking forward and backward on my tip toes. My 'pain' is more stiffness and a twinge in my thigh, nothing Tylenol can't control. But I am extremely tired. All. the. time. I sleep 10 hours at night and then another 2 hours during the day. I have zero energy. Is this normal for post op hip surgery? I did go 7 days without eating with my 2nd hospital stay but I was on an IV. Then I had to slowly introduce foods back into my system over 4-5 days so perhaps my vitamins/minerals are off? Just wondering if this is the energy drain I've read about or if I have other factors involved.
 
Yes, all that fatigue is completely normal and to be expected. And it's wonderful that you are getting 10 hours at night! A lot of folks here will be envious. Don't fight it.....healing is taking place during that sleep. For me, the fatigue went on for about three months. I was so glad I was retired and didn't have to worry about going back to work. If you do have to go back to work, be prepared for another big energy drain at that time.

Sharon
 
I STILL get exhausted and drained at the end of a day, dang, sometimes I get drained after a few hours. I have energy spurts, but they don't last long. I work ok, but then I'm home resting or sleeping. On the weekends, I try to do things, but I still get tired. Dang, I'm almost to week 8!!

(The next person to ask me about my limp, at work, I'm going to say I got shot in the butt!! :rotfl: ) People!

Hang in there Teacat! Enjoy the rest!
 
I'm sure your problem last week will be adding to your lack of energy, not eating for a week must take it's toll. I'm 3 1/2 weeks in and have good days and bad days energy wise, some days I don't sleep at all during the day and others I sleep for at least a couple of hours and then struggle to wake up. I think we are all very different and we just have to go with what our body is telling us.
 
Hi Teacat I have just caught up with your thread and I am so sorry that you had such a dreadful time but glad that you are better and at home again I am also 3 weeks post op and still feel exhausted Last night I slept from 11 30 pm and didn't get up until 9 am I still have a sleep on most afternoons and I am still leaving most chores to my husband So you are right on course despite what you have been through I am sending you all my best wishes for your continued recovery
 
Teacat,
I think your doing quite well considering what you've been through. I'm 9 weeks post-op and I've noticed when I try to get things done on my good days they are followed by 2 or 3 days of fatigue. I'm still trying to find a happy medium when it comes to balancing my responsibilities without over doing it. Littlejem is right about listening to our bodies. If sleep comes, then I say take all you can get.
 
3.5 weeks post op
Still sleeping a lot! Last night I went to bed around 8pm. Got up at 11pm and ate a bowl of cereal and drank a glass of OJ. Back to bed and woke up by a 4yo at 730am. Husband gave me some water and Tylenol, back to sleep until 9am. Took another 2 hour nap today.
I think it may be due to pain. I'm finding the stiffness/soreness has escalated and it's more a deep achiness. I'm taking 2 Tylenol 3 times a day but I don't think that is enough. Given my situation, I'm so nervous to take any kind of narcotic medicine. I've noticed if I'm late with the Tylenol, I kind of get nauseous due to the pain. Obviously, I haven't found the right "cocktail". I'm still taking aspirin 2x/day for blood thinner so I don't think I can take ibuproferen, right? The dr. also gave me Tramadol but again, I'm afraid to take it if it is a narcotic. Any suggestions?
 
Teacat, sorry you're going thought this. Tramodol can constipate you also (I speak from experience); have you asked your doctor if you can add ibuprofen or naproxen? I was injecting Lovenox and taking Celebrex at the same time. Are you icing? I find that sometimes I wake up with the aching in my hip in the middle of the night, so I go get the ice pack, and ice in bed (with the electric blanket on; I'm a sight.). I hope you feel better soon. XO
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom