Guest viewing is limited

THR Teacat has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teacat Isn't it great to be home and relaxing? Those first days of being home for me were mostly sitting around and falling asleep. As for your the length of your leg now, it most likely will sort itself out. My surgeon said he did make mine longer but I can't tell and it doesn't look longer even at PT the therapist said both my legs look the same length so maybe it was shorter before and I didn't realize it. But I guess some surgeons pull around on the joint and muscles a lot to do the the surgery so that is maybe why your's is appearing to be longer. After the first week everything seems to start going better, that's when I felt to be on a schedule and was familiar with my new hip and how to motivate around the house with it.
 
Welcome home, Teacat. I had the constipation problem, too, and had to take dulcolax, Miralax, and suppositories. I ended up taking myself off pain meds too quickly because I couldn't stand it anymore. I did find that taking probiotics helped. Your husband can get them for you in the health food store, and I recently bought some at Trader Joe's if there's one in your area. XO
 
Thanks BarbaraR! I may check into those other options you suggested tomorrow if nothing happens before then. These pain meds are a double edged sword. We need them to keep us not in pain so our bodies can heal but at the same time they stop us up or make us so sleepy we nap as all day.
 
Teacat 24+ yrs ago I had 2 major GYN surgeries, and the pain mgmnt was pathetic. I had to bully the nurse to tell me how often the PCA dispensed, so I wouldn't use it all up in the first 15 minutes. They still wanted me to think that every time I pushed the button med would come out. Come on-- how many people actually fell for that? As for pills, I'd ask....and ask....and ask... and an hour or more would go by...and I'd hurt more and more... it seems some things don't change!
sharonslp My husband wound up taking milk of magnesia after a hernia repair. I bought him some Depends, and it's a good thing too LOL
 
Hey Teacat!!

Well the BM thing, I didn't go for a week. I am not a "normal-on-schedule type" of person, so I wasn't worried, but I was because they said I could die if I didn't go. Then again, they said I could die for almost anything, real positive! :rotfl: Anyway, since that week after surgery, I have gone every single day!! Oh geez, I don't know how this is possible, but I do! Oh well, it's a good thing!

As for PT, mine is finally over because of my fast progression. They gave me an extra stretching band and I have been getting stronger everyday. I still get exhausted during work and knock out like a baby when I get home, but I'm way better!

So glad you are home! The leg length gets better. As mentioned before, mine isn't a great amount, but sometimes I don't quite stand straight and it seem like my leg is inches longer!!

Have a good day! :egypdance:
 
Teacat,
You may want to try the probiotic yogurt or like BarbaraR mentioned the probiotic in pill form. I took them (capsule form) and finally got some relief. When I was getting desperate and thinking about taking a laxative my in-home physical therapist reminded me that I may be spending the whole day in the bathroom. I was almost to the point that I didn't care even though trips to the bathroom weren't so easy in the early days. I certainly hope you get some relief soon! My OS told me that I may have some leg length differential before my surgery. I thought I did for a while once I attempted to walk. I couldn't get it off my mind but there are several buddies on here that do have it and they have all said it's really not any big deal. As time passed and things began to settle I no longer noticed a difference. You made me laugh about holding on to your PCA pump! :rotfl: I'm only a few hours NW of you so we are experiencing similar weather. One day it seems like spring is here and the next we plummet 20 degrees. It really wreaks havoc on the sinuses.
 
Teacat Warm prune juice is a miracle product. Doesn't taste terrible but the relief is wonderful and not harsh as a laxative for me at least. I was miserable for about 36 hrs with take stool softeners twice a day with no effect and someone here gave me this thought. Hope you get some tummy issues resolved.l
 
nanal You and Worf! (Star trek....) I had GYN surgery many yrs ago, and the day after I drank prune juice at every opportunity. The nurse came in later and asked if I'd moved the bowels yet and I told her proudly, "5 times!". Shocked her speechless. I'm with you-- prunes/juice, very very good. I hope to depend on them even more post-op! Why warm? Does it make it work better? :) chris
 
Ha it's funny to hear you all talking about prune juice!! I actually had some prunes and natural yogurt the day before yesterday and, excuse the frankness, I went 3 times yesterday Yey!! Ha can you imagine when we were young thinking the highlight of the day' if not the week' was to go to the toilet!! Those prunes really do work!!
 
Feeling a bit of the blues today. Mostly because I still can't go to the bathroom! I'm feeling helpless and sorry for my sad self in that I can't even make myself poop! I've tried the probiotic yogurts, raisin bran, lentil soup, dried prunes, coffee, stool softeners and metamucil. nanal I think prune juice will be my last ditch effort. It's so frustrating and all I can think about right now. Last night I managed to get down stairs to walk some laps around my house with the walker. It felt good to actually walk more than just across the room to the toilet. Also managed to take a shower yesterday which was nice. DH went back to work part time this week. He's been a trooper but his nerves are also beginning to wear thin. We were kind of snippy with each other yesterday. Oh and daytime TV is the pits! I don't know if I can focus enough to read but going to try. Sorry to whine and complain but I know you all understand.
 
As long as you're on the percocet you will have BM problems. Just keep taking whatever works for you and remember that it really, really does get better. Also, don't stop the percocet abruptly. I tapered off and it still left me loopy for a day or so. There'll come a day when it will feel so worth it.
 
Teacat you most definitely aren't whining, we have ALL been there and I can honestly say that it got me down so much more that the actual hip!! It was a week before I 'went' and it was a suppository that helped me 'get started' and I was really impressed by the prunes, I used the ones out of a jar which included juice. Everything will seem so better when you get 'things' moving again, honestly. Chin up and take care :puppysmooze: I love this dog licking logo!!
 
Teacat,
I know it's tough girl but Nanal is on to something with the prune juice. I ate two boxes of prunes, entire boxes, and still didn't go but for some reason the juice will work when the prunes don't. I confess, I love prunes so it wasn't difficult for me to eat that many. I'm serious but I'm also trying to make you laugh. HAHA! If your able to move around like you mentioned it helps too but don't over do it. I am praying that it happens today as I know your over it. If you need a laugh, go look at @ByGosh's thread. She had me rolling on the floor this morning. Your right daytime TV is the pits!!

Big Bear Hugs,
Weezi
 
Teacat I can really empathise with you as the problems I had with bodily functions brought me right down on day 4 and I agree with Littlegem that at the time it was worse than the hip.I felt so much better when the situation improved however I don't want to get complacent as long as I am on the painkillers it will be an issue. The only suggestion I have is add to drink loads of water and OJ I don't care for prunes so I am eating lots of dates and they seemed to do the trick.
Sounds like you are moving really well. I am also walking around the house today and setting the timer for 6 minutes.I do hope your situation improves Very soon. I planned to try suppositories as my next step
 
Hi Teacat,
I'm not trying to be nosy but I surely hope you are feeling better today.
 
Sorry Teacat for your tummy problems but warm prune juice was my last ditch effort. I was so miserable that I could hardly eat and really it doesn't take more than a few ounces. It really wasn't that distasteful while it was slightly warm, I promise. Really totally worth it, I promise
 
An internal medicine specialist I saw pre-op recommended taking Lactulose, which is an OTC product, usually kept behind the counter. It isn't horrible and it works. If things are really bad, can you manage to pop in a delightful suppository? That often gets things moving, giving your new BM routine chance to work. When I had the worst perc-block, I took Lactulose every morning, drank DanActive at lunchtime and half a cup of warm prune juice at night. Plus I snacked on dried prunes a couple of times a day. Costco's are sweet and really delicious. Sending best wishes for a quick clear-out... you will soon feel so much better!
 
Awwww Teacat I hope things git mooooovin very soon. You might be on to something with the walking around more-- inactivity an also contribute, I imagine. My heart goes out to you, hopin that something else less polite will go out of YOU!:rotfl: Can we have a smilie with a glass of prune juice in it??
 
Teacat, I read somewhere to give babies pear juice when they are constipated, so I drink pear juice, and use Movicol when that doesn't work. Plus lots and lots of water.
 
:dancy: Whoo Hoo!!! You made here with us to the better side. So glad to hear from you. keep us posted on how you arae doing
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom