Guest viewing is limited

TKR Surgery Went Well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joyce, I'm going to be making one of those ice pack holders!!

Pain meds are sorted out. Now dealing with a couple of other issues. (Does it ever end???) I've got alot of swelling. I've done alot of icing and elevation, but it's not really helping. It's caused a little bit of lost flexion. PT was a little intense this morning. Ugh. Oh, and then I had to miss PT yesterday to get an MRI to rule out a DVT. Yes, it was negative. I have PT again tomorrow and then the weekend off. Well, except for my regular PT schedules.
 
PT was a little intense this morning.
Please do not let it get intense. Remember the Mantra---"If it hurts, do not do it or let anybody do it to you."

Now dealing with a couple of other issues. (Does it ever end???) I've got alot of swelling. I've done alot of icing and elevation, but it's not really helping. It's caused a little bit of lost flexion.
Hang in there---you are really, really early in recovery and your body is still reeling from the surgical trauma. (Remember was was done to your knee.) The recovery really is like a roller coaster ride and will have its ups and its downs.

Just keep icing, elevating, resting, doing gentle exercises and take your pain meds on the clock.

The more the PT's try to rush your recovery, the more pain and swelling you will have---and you are just a a wee bit over a week removed from surgery. the issues will solwly subside, but now you just have to concentrate on taking it easy.

Remember, recovery can take a long time. It can take months and months---six months for many--and upwards to a year to return to "normal." You have plenty of time to get there---this is a marathon and not a sprint, so do not let anybody get too intense with you during PT.

Remember, the PT's work for you, not vice-versa.
 
Hang in there Trish! Like referee54 said, you are very early in your recovery and there will be good days and bad. Soon the good ones will begin to outnumber the bad and that's when you'll be glad you had this done!
 
How are you going Trish? I know Kate will be helping you a lot.

How is the swelling going now?

I am just over a week now to my operation all depends if I gt the all clear with the OS this week as being sick may just delay things. Hoping this will be settled by the appointment with them on Tuesday and Thursday.
 
I get my staples out tomorrow! Yay!!! However, I am a little nervous about removing those staples. How painful is it??

Some of the swelling has gone down finally. There is a place on my knee where I can depress about a 3/4 inch. It's interesting to be sure. I keep icing and massaging and exercising. Right now my ROM is 85 when pushed. Don't worry it's not hard pushing.:)

I'm putting together a list of questions for the doc such as bathing in a tub, swimming, hot tub, tattoo, etc. She's gonna laugh at some of those!
 
Trish are you sure you are elevating your leg properly? With a wedge or three pillows. I will give you the post op reading list---be sure to read the article on elevating your knee. Kelly

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it

- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?


Progression of activity for TKRs
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain

Using ice -

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress

Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
 
Trish, the staple remover was a non-event for me. I did not have even a twinge of pain. It is interesting what you said about the indented spot. I have a rather deep one below the kneecap. I asked the OS about it the day I had my staples removed and he just brushed me off and said it was part of the scar and would go away eventually. It doesn't bother me so I am not worried about it. My extension was great from the beginning but my flexion has been slow. I started at 84 and today I measured 112. The PT said if I get to 115 that will probably be enough. My good leg only measures 120 so he said it would be good if the two legs were even. I am not fretting over it because I only want to be able to walk comfortably for an extended time. I have no marathon plans, or tennis places, etc. LOL!
 
Hi Trish
There will be many ups and downs, one step forward, two back kind of thing. I find when my knee swells or at least feels extra stiff, it is important to back off the PT and only do gentle stretches. When I try to push, my knees rebel and my range gets poorer. I had an exceptionally intense week last week and after a weekend of extra rest, ice and elevation, my ROM actually improved even though I still felt really stiff. Take your time, keep your PT in check and your ROM will improve.
Good luck,
Stacie
 
Man, life gets busy when you have nothing to do all day. How in the world does that happen?!?!

Kelly, I have a wedge pillow that I use. Occasionally, I will use 3 pillows staggered if I'm in bed. Typically though I use the wedge on the couch with my head down. The swelling is getting better, though!

Carolina, the staples were rather uncomfortable for me. They stung!! Typically I have a high pain threshold so I think I'm just being a baby with the TKR. Go figure! LOL As for my flexion, it's slowly but surely improving. Today, I hit 90.

Stacie, I agree completely! I'm looking forward to having the weekend to "recuperate". I've been given some more exercises at home and an increase in the band resistance exercises so that's a step in the right direction.

I had my follow up appointment when I had my staples removed. My doctor reminds me every time she sees me that my recovery will not look like a typical recovery. The reason she gives is that my immune system, due my youth (hah!), is stronger and will fight harder against the TKR. Which my PT didn't know, but said made sense. Both the doc and the PT are happy with my progress in ROM. If they're happy, who am I to question them.

Of the questions I remembered to ask, the answers were not in my favor. I have a wedding to attend next weekend out of town. We'll be staying where there is a pool and hot tub. Unfortunately, I will get to sample either of them. :cry: I love the water and was looking forward to taking Alex swimming! I did forget to ask about the tattoo because at that time I had no idea what I wanted yet. I found what I wanted tonight and started googling TKRs and tattoos. Guess where the answers came from?? Bone Smart of course. :dancy: So it reminded me to take time to update! As for the tat, I'm going to talk to the doc about it before I get it because I don't want to get it until after my recovery from this surgery is almost complete. I think otherwise it would be reckless.
 
The surgery plus the pain meds make us depressed, but it goes away. Just have little talks with yourself and know that you are doing fine, come here and read that its all normal, and then you will feel better.
 
Hi Trish, I'm slowly getting caught up on everyone's progress. I too have had a lot of pain, always thought I had a pretty high pain tolerance until BTKR! It was explained differently to me.

I had at least six different people, nurses and physical therapists, tell me that the 80 somethings do very well will TKR's and BTKR's because their nerve endings are deadened, so the don't feel the intense pain. We're younger with very alive nerve endings!
There was an 82 year old lady on my unit, she had BTKR two days after me, I was struggling and there she was doing great! That's when I really felt like a wimp! One nurse, thankfully, told me not to beat myself up over how much pain I was having. They see this all the time.
 
The depression I recognize when it hits. It stinks, but I understand it much better. The thing I hate right now is the desire to get out and do things and the realization that I can't quite just yet...at least not to the extent I want. Patience is not one of my successful virtues.

I hadn't thought about the nerve endings as deadened the older you get. Whatever the reason, it's definitely different.
 
Trish,

A lot of internal cutting went on in the leg, muscles, nerves, etc. they are no where near the healing stage. That is why Kelly stressed those articles. When you use three pillows, stack them and get toes above nose! Swelling will go down because the lymph system can absorb it better. Take care and you have a darling little boy! :happydance:
 
Trish, I have been very busy getting house and order for when I go home after surgery. Surgery will be the 18th. Its great to reading your posts and wishing you a healthy recovery.
Nanc
 
Trisha, I remember going through a"spell" where I was down about the inactivity. Knee replacements do seem to stop you in your tracks for awhile! I am about ten weeks now and am definitely doing more. It just takes time and you cannot rush it. I hope you are having a good weekend. Get outside for a bit if you can. Joyce
 
Hi Trish
Hope the weather in Iowa was as gorgeous as it was here in WI this weekend. Early on when I was getting frustrated about not being able to do a lot, I found that even just sitting outside on the deck was helpful, even if for only for 5-10 minutes. It is nice to be able "to get out" and it at least gives you something other to look at than the same 4 walls. I think almost all of us have had to dig deep to find a new level of patience.
Hope all is well,
Stacie
 
Hi Trish. You are just one day behind me. Your ROM is great! I don't know whats up with mine but I don't think I've been over 40 since the surgery. I kinda worries me but I am trying not to dwell on it. My knee is swollen, but not from pushy PT. It doesn't hurt much, in fact my knee feels numb on the outer side, which I saw many references to on Bonesmart about so not worrying about that. It feels good to walk but that causes swelling, but the excess swelling seems to go away with ice and elevation. So I'll continue to walk more and more. Darn ROM... Good luck with getting back to the active lifestyle! That is my goal too.
 
Wow...it's been awhile since I've been on here! Sorry about that.

I'm doing much better. With the weather here, (Stacie, it has been just as beautiful!) I have had all the windows and curtains open. The light has certainly improved my disposition. It's been 4.5 weeks and I'm doing much better. My ROM is now at 99 and I'm tickled pink by that number! Of course, like an idiot, I then managed to do too much and now it's a little more swollen. However, I expected it and have iced it.

Westsea, I still have a good bit of numbness on the outside of my knee, too. It feels odd, doesn't it? I'm massaging my knee often in order to help with the swelling, too. It seems to help. I'm not sure what my break through has been with ROM, but I hope you find it as well.

I have managed to get off the narcotic pain pill Oxycodone and move to simply Hydrocodone. I'm also weaning myself off pain meds altogether. I only took 2 yesterday. Of course, I take tylenol in between when needed and when it's really bad then I don't let myself suffer and will take the good meds. As of next week, I'm down to just 2 days of PT a week. Again, YAY!!

I have my next Dr appt on the 14th and I fully expect my doc to release me to work either at that time or for the first week of November. I'm all ready going stir crazy!!

Now, I've got to do some catching up! I hope to read some great stories of recovery. Chat with you soon!
 
Glad to hear things are going well for you....don't overdo!!!! :no-fin: It's so easy to overdo now that we're starting to feel better and actually feel like moving! I keep telling my husband it's okay for him to leave me for a few hours to help get him out of the house....when he leaves, he makes me promise not to do anything stupid!!! Now why in the world would he even think to ask that? :whistle: (I almost passed out last week; did too much then did my bath....there I am....no cloths on, and on the fringes of passing out. It took about a half hour to get me so I could stand up and get back to bed.) Thankfully, I had oxygen for at night while sleeping, so he got the oxygen and that helped bring me back to consciousness. Gave him quite the scare.

Give you sweet little guy a hug for me. I haven't seen either of my girls or my grandsons for 2 months and I am really missing them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom