TKR Still working on ROM

I’m exactly 3 days into week 5 (hubs says) one month anniversary feels better! I seem to be turning a corner, aside from my total lack of web site ability. Im still seeing a little drainage (that’s what I was concerned about) but it’s minor and normal I think! I’m off all opioids. Taking a small amount of magnesium and pedialyte for the heart flutters. I have pain but not like before. Thank you for taking the time to congratulate me!
 
You're so welcome, sweet Flashcat!

I’m exactly 3 days into week 5 (hubs says) one month anniversary feels better
You're on your 32nd day of healing, Yay! :wink:

Going by the day of the month for anniversaries is easier for us. You'll find that also soon enough and begin counting months rather than weeks and days. I remember being one month post op after my joint replacement. It was one of those milestones I was looking forward to in the early days and it comes faster than you expect!

You seem to be posting / responding in the right place so is there anything else we can help you with?

Happy Friday!
 
Thanks so much I sure need to hear the positive feedback! I had pain over night but I think it might be nerve related and it was deep in the knee cap area. Still slept pretty good. I went ahead and got up at 4/:30am had some Tylenol and and ice wrap. I’m hopeful!
Thank you!
 
I think you’re doing just fine. You’re going to have some aches and pains as recovery continues. It’s especially normal for them to be moving around in different places. Your response was good to this knee cap pain. I used to get up in the night with my knees and do a few turns on my exercise bike along with taking some Tylenol and using ice to get back to sleep. We tell people to expect that sleep may be erratic for the first months of recovery. Get rest whenever you can. Naps are wonderful to help make up for nighttime sleep interruptions. You NEED all the rest you can get.
 
Thank you. I can’t wait to feel better or more like myself. I’m a bit melancholy off and on. Impatient with the whole situation really! I’ll work on my mood as well as my knee!
 
I am sorry you're feeling a little melancholy. One month post op seems to be a common time for many to feel impatient with recovery. You've been through a major surgery and that can affect your mood. Even though your surgery was a success there's still the discomfort of pain and stiffness, and often times sleep issues due to the inability to get / stay comfortable. At one month post op, you're feeling better, but still have limitations and that can feel discouraging. The good news is your strength and stamina will increase each month and soon you'll be feeling like your old self. Hang in there, brighter days are on the way! :thumb:
@Flashcat

 
I’m going into week 6 this coming week and there is still some drainage at the very last stapled spot at the base of the wound. Is that something I should be worried about? It was an oddly positioned staple near the shin bone and it hasn’t healed as well as the rest of the wound.
 
It’s not uncommon to have one or two slower healing areas on your incision, especially at the bottom like you’re describing. Can you post a photo of it?

Things to watch are the amount of drainage and the color of any fluid. Is there any pain associated with this point on the incision? Is the area red and/or warm? Do you have any fever?

Answers to these questions will indicate whether a call to your surgeon is needed. Try not to worry. This is probably not anything more than just slower healing in that area.
 
I have no fever and it doesn’t hurt or feel hot around it.
[Bonesmart.org] Still working on ROM
 
Is the drainage bloody then? It looks like it from your photo. How much do you get in a 24 hour period? What has your surgeon told you about the steri strips that are still on your incision? Many times they will tell you to just wait for them to fall off. Do you have permission to shower? That bottom strip seems very loose and like it could come off.
 
They said shower and let water gently run down the leg and that yeh strips will fall off on their own. That last one partially came off in a compression sock. It is red and very small amount of blood comes out.
 
It was such a messed up staple to begin with I should have asked about it
 
When you shower next, do let the water run over this area to clear away what looks like dried blood. If the strip comes loose or off completely, all the better. Don’t pick it loose, but I think it will be helpful for your wound if it actually does come off. It will be easier to see what’s going on with the incision and how it really looks.

If the blood drainage is more than just a few drops each day, I do suggest you contact your surgeon about it. I still think it’s probably nothing, but that way you would know for sure.
 
It’s not all the way off yet just a piece of it peeled up in the sock awhile ago and I clipped the edge off. The rest is still there and I’m afraid to pull it off. It’s stuck pretty snug
 
No, no…..don’t pull on it. That’s never good. Am I right about the drainage being just a few drops of blood?

Are you currently on any blood thinners or taking aspirin or other NSAIDs?
 
Yes it’s a very small amount of blood and yes I’m taking blood thinners 2 baby aspirin a day I actually stopped them for 2 days and the wound was better. I won’t pull it off I’m a chicken anyway!
 
Ok that sounds good I want to stop the baby aspirin I’ll call them and ask if they agree to it & I’ll mention the drainage. I can actually email them. Thank you Jamie you eased my mind so much!
 
I’m glad I helped. It’s likely the aspirin that’s contributing to the slight bleeding. If you don’t need them for a heart condition, you should get the green light to discontinue them. It’s significant that the bleeding lessened when you stopped them aspirin for a couple of days.

At over a month out from surgery, your activity level now should be adequate to prevent blood clots, so I imagine your surgeon will have no problem letting you stop them aspirin.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom