Guest viewing is limited

TKR Still working on ROM

Thanks again!!
I did have to ask him check with me before opening pantry items such as soy sauce. We now have 2 big, open bottles in the fridge! He’s getting into my prepping stuff -just in case things are hard to find. Oh well they keep a long time even opened.
:loll:
 
I did have to ask him check with me before opening pantry items such as soy sauce. We now have 2 big, open bottles in the fridge!
I see a lot of Asian food in your future! :heehee:

Seriously though, don't discourage him. Who knows what his pantry forays will yield. My first recovery (THR) forced my husband to learn to cook and he has become quite a creative chef!
 
My husband is not really a cook but he is happy to heat up pre- prepared meals and boil some vegetables. We lived on these and takeaways for 2-3 months.
It wasn't ideal but we both go a bit stir- crazy if we are stuck inside. He likes my company for walks/ trips out- so it was more important to him that I was going out as soon as possible rather than spending any surplus energy on cooking or cleaning.
You have to figure out what you are capable of and what helps you recover and ditch anything that isn't essential in the first few weeks to months. My knee liked walking but hated standing at a cooker or cleaning.
 
I haven’t even ventured out yet at all! Other than the deck to water plants! I’m proud of my husband as last night he actually used the air fryer and made chicken legs and a nice salad! Amazing really! Your husband sounds like a good guy! Have fun! Thank you!
 
Thank you for posting. I’m so glad to read of your little wins and the help you’re getting. It will help me when my time comes, especially all the BS info re PT.
The little things your partners and hubbies do, however badly, or different to how you’d do it, are more important to your recovery and wellbeing than you can ever know. My husband had cancer for years, sadly it was incurable. I’ve been on my own a number of years. I’ve done really well made a new life I enjoy, but the discovery of how bad my knees really are and my options have rocked me to the core. I had no idea I’ve been bone on bone for so long, this certainly explained a lot of why somethings have been so hard. Nevertheless it has brought my solo living into stark focus. I love my home, and I’ve made a different life which has worked up to now, and will do again so I just have to slowly and methodically get through this latest challenge, and I’m so glad to have the Bonesmarties to help.
It really is a whole new ball game receiving this type of news and living alone, as some on here know well, and I’m planning as best I can. Just measured the stairs for a second handrail, and found an outdoor rail for the 3 front steps so I can get outside into my tiny garden for some fresh air in due course since it’ll probably be scheduled for July. No date yet.
A friend is loaning me an exercise bike, and I’m seriously considering convalescing in a nursing home until I’m safe and mobile to be home alone in a house full of stairs and can make drinks and snacks etc. I can have milk delivered but would still need to carry it in, and groceries delivered but they will still need putting away and so on. As an active ‘doer’ this will be a significant challenge.
E.g: using the cool/ice machine in the day downstairs in the recliner and in bed at night is currently taxing my brain: as how would I move it up and down? Maybe I will have to organise a carer to come in twice a day? I have friends, but everyone has busy lives and I don’t want to overload anyone. Any ideas on how one moves the machine around on one’s own would be very helpful.
By next weekend I’ll have a better idea whether the surgery is to be bilateral or uni. We have a family wedding in the first half of November so that’s my ultimate goal, to drive 100 miles, stay in a strange place and enjoy it all. I can do this, and I will, but please bonesmarties be prepared as there may be some significant swearing and weeping along the way.
 
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with your ability to get around your home after the surgery. Yes, you are weak at first. But with sleep and rest during the day, you will gradually be able to do little things for yourself.

Most of the ice machines have a handle for carrying. So it’s possible to slowly - one step at a time - take it up and down stairs. But….consider buying yourself a small refrigerator to keep upstairs by your bed. That way you could use your ice machines downstairs. Then purchase 4 gel packs that go in the freezer. While you’re downstairs during the day, freeze them in your regular refrigerator-freezer. Then at bedtime, using a plastic or cloth bag with handles, carry them upstairs to your bedroom. Use two at a time (one for the top and sides and another for the back of your knee) while you’re sleeping and put the other two in the refrigerator. They should stay frozen enough to use later in the night when your first ones have melted. They do make small refrigerators with a small freezer unit, so that might be a consideration also.

Another option would be to make yourself a “nest” downstairs on the couch with lots of comfy pillows and sleep there until you can better navigate the stairs with items that need to go up and down.

I’m glad to hear you are getting all these railings installed. I did the same thing out in my back yard to make it easier to get to the different levels. I’ve never regretted it.
 
Hello Legseleven!
You sound like you have made
Such good plans. I realize after the fact how little I actually knew.
I did get a few things and a small ice machine that holds 2 frozen12oz plastic bottles.
So I put 6 in the freezer and switch them out as needed but you can use cubes or cold packs in it too. I got a small one so I do have to change it more often. It’s light weight. Good luck with all your plans. I have been invited to NYC Dec 9-12 and it’s my goal to get to go. Friends are staying in a neat hotel on Times Square I’ve never been during the holidays :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:! All the best
 
Thank you! I’m still figuring out how to operate in the forum. I apologize if I miss responding to a message! I’m reading each one and they all mean so much to me. I learning a lot. I’ve had this fear of infection and ordered the Active anti microbial spray and the inflatable leg rest! That way I can use the leg rest on the couch. I can’t seem to get the pillows just right!
Thanks everyone,
Flashcat
 
I’m still figuring out how to operate in the forum.
You are doing just fine, @Flashcat! But here are a couple of tips that might help:

If you want to reply to the last post, just go to the reply box and type your reply. However, if you are replying to someone who posted earlier in your thread, name the member you want to address and add the @ sign in front of their username (no space) and type your reply. (Just like I did above to reply to you.)

If you want to quote a specific line in the other member's post just highlight that line:
- When you do, you will see the words Like/ +Quote/ Quote this message. Click +Quote
- Then, when you go to the reply box, click “insert quotes” and it will put the highlighted area into your reply.

After you've read your any new comments in your thread and posted your updates, click on "New Posts" in the light blue toolbar to see who has posted since your last visit.

Also, if you are having trouble finding you thread when you log in, bookmark this page on your computer; that way, it will bring you right here and you can see any messages.

Here's some other information that you might find helpful:
Happy Posting! :flwrysmile:
 
I think I am healing ok. I cannot sleep more than a few minutes maybe 1/2 hr periods at a time and it frustrates me and I don’t feel very well. I still worry I’m not doing enough to bend or exercise the knee. I worry mostly about scar tissue building up and limiting my movement down the road. I canceled PT completely so Im following the BoneSmart schedule for rehab at home I found in the Library. I’m trying to walk about 5 minutes at a time. I still have pain. I’m in week 4. The wound has some places were it still shows red/dark where blood has seeped through. I have those strips a few have come off but most are still there. Does anyone know if I should wait until it’s healed more before using “Active Skin Repair” spray.? The bottle says minor scrapes…
Thanks so much
 
@Flashcat
I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
I cannot sleep more than a few minutes maybe 1/2 hr periods at a time and it frustrates me
This is very common. Here is an article from the recovery guidelines that might help you understand this issue a bit better:
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

I still worry I’m not doing enough to bend or exercise the knee.
Any movement is good, as it will give your knee mobility, and that’s what it needs. At less than a month post op your knee/leg is still healing, so the most important thing is mobility.

Some (too many?) of the exercises in the list we are given are just not appropriate this early in recovery, and by doing the recommended number of reps, we overwork our leg which creates more pain and swelling. You want to avoid creating more pain and swelling, as that is counterproductive.

So, it’s fine to do some of the exercises, as long as they are gentle and don’t irritate your healing knee. They should not cause you increased pain.

I worry mostly about scar tissue building up and limiting my movement down the road.
I’m sorry that this is a popular opinion and threat. Scar tissue does not just build up and keep increasing so that it limits movement. Scar tissue is normal and necessary since without it, we would continue to have an open wound that would not heal. Over time, as we heal, the scar tissue thins out and becomes normal tissue.

I still have pain. I’m in week 4.
This is also normal. This surgery caused a lot of trauma to the area and healing takes a long time.
 
Thank you @Flashcat for your kind words and suggestions.
Thank you @Jamie for the great management ideas too.
By next week I’ll have decided whether uni or bi…. And be nearer a date.
Hope your sleep improves soon @Flashcat, I’m normally a good sleeper either straight through or in two parts, so I’m hoping it won’t be too bad.
Just think how good we will be in a year’s time and how fun your Christmas trip will be.
 
Hi Flashcat,
I am sorry you're having sleep issues and can imagine it's frustrating. Sleep can be difficult and it often seems more so at night due to decreased activity and less distractions. Also, some pain meds, like Opioids and even NSAIDs can disrupt our sleep cycle. Any anxiety and frustration you're feeling can interfere with you getting restorative rest, so please know that these inconveniences are common to many and it will pass. :console2:

If you aren't already, try icing and elevating 20-30 minutes before bed to help reduce pain and swelling. If you're able to time meds closer to bedtime, that may help also. Avoid screen time before bed and also caffeine in the evening if it applies. This may help too.

Pillows certainly help me get comfortable in bed, making it easier to fall asleep. You can experiment with different arrangements to find what works for you. I surrounded myself with them so I could rest a leg, or arm easily enough, whatever felt comfortable. Doing whatever you're able to basically "set the scene" for sleep may be worthwhile. I suggest making up the bed with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness. Try to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimize noise unless you feel listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. Make sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold. Try to disconnect from the devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down. Limit caffeine throughout the day and consider natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

Try some relaxation techniques if you feel they may work for you such as deep breathing, prayer or meditation or even some gentle stretching may help relax your body and mind.

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Herb Tea,
Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.

Regular movement is important to prevent stiffness. It's about consistency though, not intensity. Motion, but not overexertion is the goal right now.

Here is a rough gauge of where you may be currently. With that said, some excel, some lag behind, both are ok -
Week 3
Continue with all previous activities. Gradually increase walks to 5-10 minutes, several times per day, as tolerated.
New activity: Begin preparing simple meals or snacks for yourself to encourage gentle movement and independence, while staying within your current mobility and energy limits.
Weeks 4-5
Continue with all previous activities. Begin extending your walks to include time outdoors, such as in the garden or along the street. Aim for up to 20 minutes or more, depending on your comfort level. Remember, a 20 minute walk means 10 minutes one way and 10 minutes back. Plan ahead to avoid over exerting yourself.

As far as pain goes, it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. There will be pain as your body heals for the "controlled" trauma of this major surgery. The pain, swelling and sleep issues are part of the process, even though they're incredibly difficult to deal with at times.

Please try not to worry about scar tissue, it will form as your body naturally knits the wound back together. It is made of collagen which your body quickly lays down in an effort to close and reinforce the area. You scar may look raise, firm, red, even shiny in the early weeks, but normally heals into a thin white line over time. As long as you're engaging in gentle movement and walking around several times per day, you're already helping prevent it.

As far as the Active Microbial Spray goes, the info reads -
Apply to any wound to instantly kill bacteria and promote proper healing. It's safe for use
by adults or children. Can be applied to an open wound or used around the eyes, nose
or mouth.

Check with your physicians office or send them a screen shot on the Antimicrobial Spray info to receive a nod of reassurance from them. It may make you feel more confident in using it.

Time and patience, will take care of your concerns. It's still early days for you so try to take a deep breath and roll with it all. Everything you're feeling anxious about is within the range of a normal healing journey, so please take comfort in that and know that we're here for you always. :friends:

Wishing you many nights of peaceful sleep soon!
@Flashcat
 
Thank you all so much! I’ll try to keep doing more of the right things!
 
If your doctors questions the use of the Active Antimicrobial spray, let them know it is a pure hypochlorous solution that can even be used on open wounds right after surgery. You’ll be fine to start using it now. Just be sure and give the bottle a good shake before applying.

Hang in there. You’re doing just fine and have a great start on your recovery. There is a wide range of things people experience in a normal recovery. You’re well within that at just one month out from surgery.
 
Thank you! I think I got the wrong stuff I’ll double check it but I couldn’t figure out how to get the blue bottle advertised here, so I got the same brand through the company and it says skin repair spray.
 
Hi Flashcat,
Once you click the link below, an orange box should show up on the top right that leads you to purchasing, if interested.


Have a great day! :SUNsmile:
@Flashcat
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom