Guest viewing is limited

TKR Still working on ROM

Thanks again! Great help easing my mind! The whole leg looks awful it’s disturbing! Can’t moisturize it yet.
 
The scaling skin is very normal. If that is what is looking awful to you, you can apply moisturizer to the skin as long as you keep it well away from your incision. If there is something else about the looks of your leg that bothers you, snap a photo and maybe I can help.
 
No that is it the pictures I sent is how it looks. Thank you so much!
 
I can actually email them. Thank you Jamie you
If you can email- you could also send a photo.
I agree with what @Jamie says. It is probably the blood thinners and it may well be OK to stop them now you are more active.But you need clearance to do this, in case there are specific risks in your case- which mean you should continue.
 
Bad news for me! I sent pictures to the doctors PA and they want me to come in today! I’m terrified they’ll bend my knee!
 
I have been up all night with stomach problems probably from Tylenol and ibuprofen and aspirin so I’m already a weepy mess!
 
I will discuss meds today thank you I haven’t gone over any amount well under 4000mg total of all meds
 
If your doctor wants you to remain on them NSAIDs (aspirin and ibuprofen), ask for a prescription to protect your stomach such as omeprazole (Prilosec). Also, be sure you are eating something (a couple of crackers are good) when you take them.

Please try not to worry about the doctor’s appointment. I’m sure it’s the incision he wants to observe firsthand. This is actually a good sign that he’s being proactive. At a minimum, they will likely remove the steri strip and clean it up a bit so they can see what’s going on. Good for you for checking with them!
 
I’m afraid of them taking off the strip too! I’ve turned into a total coward since the surgery I never understood the extent of all of this! I have always taken the nasaids with food but I have an autoimmune condition with stomach issues as well. They blew off everything I told them.
 
No, please don't take the strips off. Personally I'm surprised they've stayed on this well this long. Just stand in the shower and let the water gently run down your leg. That should feel good to you.

Yes its good to take your medication with food or crackers (unless otherwise instructed.) You know your body best, you can only tell the surgeons so many times.

You are not a coward. Your being cautious. If, per chance they do remove the strips, it truly is nothing. It's not like a Band-Aid at all, much more gentle.

You've got this and we're here to help you.
 
Thanks this one strip looks so gnarly and stuck I stayed in shower a long time hoping it would come off before I have to go!
 
Well it turns out it looked pretty awful it looked like I could see bone,
hasn’t healed at all and was fiery red. PA hooked around (which hurt) said it felt like a staple was still in there (bone). Took xray and thank gawd no staple. He prescribed an antibiotic and put a dry bandage on it! He never answered the aspirin question danced around it and in all the confusion I forget to ask him for the 3rd time! I’ll Email them! I couldn’t pick up the medication until tomorrow! It just wasn’t ready. So I’ll start taking it tomorrow. Also tramadol as needed (PT )
Thanks so much for helping me through this!
 
Good you're starting the antibiotic to be safe and have a fresh, dry bandage covering the area.
I hope it heals up soon. Please keep us posted and have a peaceful evening, Flashcat.
@Flashcat
 
This is a different situation, then, and one you need to be sure your surgeon (not just the PA) stays on top of. Giving you the antibiotics is good. But I have a some questions.

1. What were your instructions for changing the bandage and checking the wound?

2. Did they leave it open or put more steri strips on it?

3. When do you see someone in the surgeon’s office next?

4. Did anyone mention doing some blood work to see how that looks?

5. Did the PA take a swab to send off for testing? That would be a good idea. If they didn’t, ask to have this and the blood work done the next time you see someone.

None of this means I think you have an infection, it’s just good preventive practice to make sure that IF you do, it’s caught in the very early stages.

In all likelihood, that wonky staple may have caused a surface infection of that area. If the tissue looked inflamed, that could be what’s going on. And if it is, the antibiotics should begin to make the area look much better fairly soon.

I know this blip can be very concerning to you and that’s why we’re here. Please don’t hesitate to post if you have questions or get worried. Also, since you have the ability to email your surgeon’s office, don’t hesitate to do that as well. Since they actually viewed the incision, they have the best idea of what may (or may not) be going on.

These types of things happen sometimes, but people get through it. You’ll be okay. I’m glad you questioned this when you did. Good for you! Let us know how you’re doing.
 
He swabbed it but just to clean it up and look at it. It was awful angry red and I could see bone. He just wanted it to dry out and put a dry clean large bandage (bandaid) on it. I’ll see him the 24th of June unless things don’t improve! Very scary! You’re right about that wonky staple and I knew the day they removed them it was just wrong! I’ll ask about blood tests!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom