THR Spex10 in recovery

That is a milestone and a great one at that! It is difficult to be dependent on others for something we can do ourselves. Getting behind the wheel again is freeing.
Happy Five Week Anniversary! I hope you have a lovely day. :)
@Spex10
 
I've been reading over my posts. I'm very sorry if I've come over as smug or gleeful at my comparatively straightforward recovery. To put it in context, I had a terrible time with my first TKR and well remember the months of misery culminating in a manipulation under anaesthetic. It's because of this that I can hardly believe how quickly I seem to be recovering from the hip replacement.
I should say so far so good but I can't take anything for granted. It'll be my five week anniversary tomorrow...

Please don’t apologize for this. I believe many come here pre-op reading to feel hopeful about the recovery they will experience. I know I did so before my surgery. All may not be blessed with easy breezy recoveries, but it would be more difficult for members if all we read about was pain, suffering and complications. We’re here to support and encourage the good, along with the stories of those struggling, so please don’t hesitate to share wonderful news here. We’ll be your biggest cheerleaders.
Happy Wednesday!
 
Thanks @Layla. I must say I was a bit taken aback when I went to Bonesmart just before my op to find that almost everyone had awful difficulties and problems. I'd always been told that hips were easier than knees so I was worried. I suppose that people who don't have many problems don't post or move off soon after. I might not post much more unless I have a major problem (which God forbid!) or I hit a big milestone (can't think of one in particular though)
Thank you and the other moderators for your cheerful encouragement. Much appreciated.
 
@Spex10
As a pre-op poster, I appreciate the time and effort you and all the other post-op members put into your threads, and your additions to others'. The good experiences give me hope that my recovery will be easy; the difficult experiences make me aware that I might hit some bumps but that for most of us, there are answers and pretty good outcomes eventually.
I hope you and others continue to post and talk about your experiences. And thanks to the mods who keep this site so informative and upbeat :0)
 
I might not post much more unless I have a major problem (which God forbid!) or I hit a big milestone (can't think of one in particular though)
Thank you and the other moderators for your cheerful encouragement.

Well, I hope this isn’t goodbye.:cry: Please do keep us updated, it’s only going to get better and we never tire of hearing good news. We thank you for your kind words and want you to know that your contributions here are appreciated also.
 
Just a quick query. I've been so happy to be sleeping on my front these past few nights but I've just read that I absolutely should not be doing that as I'd be bound to twist my hip. My hips always feel absolutely flat to the mattress. I don't know what to think. What should I do?
 
Am reading the non response from moderators as just plain 'dont know'. :sad:
 
@Ric A . I know. That's why I'm a bit surprised. They previously used to post an old article by Josephine about sleep positions but have now withdrawn it. It was a bit confusing. Maybe they haven't updated the advice yet. Meanwhile, I'm in sleep limbo.
 
@Spex10 Were you given any restrictions post op? What approach did your surgeon use? The issue with sleeping positions is more about twisting to change position. In the first months of recovery any crossing the midline (crossing your legs) should be avoided.

Sorry you had to wait for a response. Our volunteers have been very busy around the board lately.
 
Thanks @Jaycey . I'm sure you are busy. No particular restrictions after op other than to avoid twisting but I was hurried out of hospital with no follow up other than a telephone appt 8 weeks after the op ie 4 weeks from now. There's no one to check with. Eek!
 
Everyone who has had THR has that twisting restriction. In my experience my hip complained loudly if I twisted in the early days of my recoveries. Just be careful when you are turning over.
 
I can’t even imagine turning onto my stomach that early on…impressive.
I read that hip implants are loaded in torsion (a rotational stress is placed on the implant each time you get up, turn in bed, or go up or down stairs) as well as loaded in compression (your weight pressing down).

Sleeping on my stomach was my favorite when I was younger. As I’ve aged, back and side sleeping have taken over. Gosh, I used to love sleeping on my stomach, especially after pregnancies. I’m kind of jealous, Spex :wink:

Sorry we were late in answering, unfortunately sometimes a post is overlooked.
Have a great rest of the day!
@Spex10

Thank you @Ric A and Spex for your kind words. They are appreciated! :)
 
Thanks @Layla . I'm now too scared to try sleeping on my front again. Will give it a few more weeks.
 
The Grandsons are staying over this weekend. I've stayed in but just looking after them I see I've walked 2 and a half miles/6000+ steps. No wonder I'm tired!
It's amazing how it's all added up just coming and going round the flat.
 
Well how fun! You may be exhausted after they leave for home, but you’ll have all of the wonderful memories to reflect upon and time to rest / nap if needed.
Enjoy Spex!
@Spex10
 
The Maine Coons have landed! Both beautiful. Somehow any hip discomfort magically evaporates when I have to bend down to stroke them. Does that make them 'therapets'?
Seriously, it's wonderful to have cats about the place after almost three catless months.
 
@Spex10 Welcome to your new lovelies! :kitty::kittymilk: I called mine purr-a-medics because of the attentive and loving care they gave me.
 
Well I'm six and a half weeks out. I feel better and stronger somehow. I'm very stiff in the mornings and struggle to bend. However, this wears off. I think I'll go back to some basic yoga stretches.
My hip is sore when I stand up from a low chair but otherwise seems ok.
Some days I do 7000 steps and some days much less.
The new cats are an absolute dream. They are so good. No trouble at all and so friendly. Lovely boys. Here's this morning's pic of them on the sofa next to me.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Spex10 in recovery
    IMG_20210911_091651457_HDR.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom