THR Spex10 in recovery

I wonder if the fact I had the robotic assisted op with custom made implants helped or if I was just lucky with the surgeon.
It's more about the surgeon than any hardware and robotics. It's also about how you react to the procedure. Glad you are doing so well! Long may it continue!
 
I have owned a Maine Coon in the past and they are wonderful. The best breed description I know is that they are a dog in cat’s clothes. We usually leave a piece of clothing with our scent with the critter in advance. If possible bring something of theirs with them. Because they are coming in as a pair they will comfort each other and might seem aloof at first. I’m sure they will settle in in no time. I’m glad you are doing well. I’m on day six and still pretty stiff and sore.
 
These will be our fourth and fifth Maine Coons. I'm not sure how our vacuum cleaner will cope with all the fur. Here they both are.
I'm taking it a bit easier today. Just household jobs and a walk round the grounds of our block of flats including some stairs. No stick in the house but one when outside.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Spex10 in recovery
    Screenshot_20210725-105531.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 177
  • [Bonesmart.org] Spex10 in recovery
    Screenshot_20210812-112753.png
    177.4 KB · Views: 187
They are handsome fellows. Cat hair does have a life of their own.
 
@Spex10 Maine Coons are gorgeous and smart cats! And they do grow to be quite large. They do not reach their full growth until about 3 years of age. They do need a lot of grooming so start early to brush them every day - some love this, others need gentle frequency to just get use to it. When I got my two I put them in a closed room for a couple of days just so they'd get use to me and the house. I have a big house with too many places a kitten could get closed in or into mischief!

The first night the kittens were out and about we all climbed into bed together - all was fine until about 2AM when they decided it was play time and began wrestling on the bed. I quietly and gently picked them both up and set them outside my bedroom and closed the door. Next night before bed time I put both on my lap and had a talk about how when it was dark out and Mom (me) was laying down with eyes closed it was my sleep time and I did not appreciate getting woken up. So they had the rest of the house to play in And NO wrestling on the bed. I never had another problem with that behavior.

They also love to climb - one of mine seemed to be able to levitate - when I had to look for her I'd look UP - often she'd be on top of the kitchen cabinets! They also love open windows and being able to talk to local birds, squirrels and passing dogs and cats (and other critters too - mine use to talk to the possum who lived under the house next door). If you have the means for a catio that would be great fun for MCs.

LOL missed the previous post - looks like you already have lots of MC experience :)

Congratulations on your recovery - it does sound like you are doing marvelously well!
 
These boys aren't kittens. They're 6 years old and 'retired' from breeding. Our last Maine Coon was just the perfect cat - literally never did anything naughty. I suspect these two may be a shock to the system!
The visit to the breeder was fantastic she currently has 28 Maine Coons!
 
I'm still doing away. Life is pretty dull but I pace about and do household tasks.
We're collecting the cats next week. The day after that we're hosting the annual party in the garden for our flats, I've got 2 lunches out booked (tomorrow and Monday) the weekend after that both grandsons are sleeping over and OH is away competing. I think I'll look back on the boring days and sigh!
 
@Spex10 "Doing away??"

You do have some fun times planned! How old are the grandsons that are sleeping over; and what does OH compete in? (And what does OH stand for? I think Husband, what is the O?)
 
"Doing away" just means quietly getting on with life.
OH means other half aka husband
Grandsons are 10 and 8 and are ostensibly coming to 'help' Gran as OH away.
OH competes in a vintage car. It's a hill climb that weekend. He has a single seater vintage Austin Seven. He rebuilt it himself. Cars are like 3D jigsaws to him!
I write novels and short stories for women's magazines (when I feel like it which isn't often these days)
 
@Spex10 from my years in rescue, your timing to bring home the 2 cats is a bit off. In general, cats do not like change. When bringing them into a new home, we recommend confining them in one room initially, with food and water at one end of the room, litter boxes at the other (no one likes the bathroom near the dining room!). Stick to normal routine for at least the first 5 days, let them get used to all the new sounds and smells. And let them imprint the new location. Then slowly allow them out to explore. Having a garden party and 2 young boys coming racing around, hollering and carrying on as young boys do, just not what we typically like to see. That will be a lot of added commotion for 2 cats in transition.

When I moved 6 years ago, with 5 dogs and 8 cats, somehow 3 cats managed to get out the first night. (The movers opened windows, and in 2 rooms the screens were not down!) I had to arrange traps and it took me a month to get the 3rd cat in. Scary time for all of us. You will really need to be aware, of where the cats are and how they are responding, with all the activities.

Are you part of The Cat Site? It is a wonderful free forum for cat lovers!
 
@Freedom don't worry. We know the score re cats! They won't be going out. The grandsons aren't coming until the next week after they arrive. Also the boys have cats of their own and know how to be around them.
The garden party is in the garden of our block of flats. It's four floors below our flat. The cats won't even know it's going on unless they peer out of certain windows.
I've had cats all my life!
 
Enjoy your lunch away from home today. Happy Friday!
@Spex10
 
Another day after another night of not great sleep. I lie awake yearning to roll over on to my front.
Nevertheless, each day my hip seems stronger and I can do a little more. It's a very misty day here. The world has disappeared in the fog and we're sitting here at 10 in the morning with all the lights on.
The cats' delivery is now delayed for 2 weeks as they're going for cardiac checks. The breeder needs to know if they have these genetic problems as they have both led to lots of kittens. I've reassured her that we will still want to offer them a good home for their retirement irrespective of potential outcome. It's disappointing to have to wait but it's the right thing to do.
Back to hips: from reading many posts it seems that the people who do the most PT and heaviest gym work seem to have the most problems. I'm glad I found Bonesmart when I had my TKRs and learned to take it slow and easy.
 
Sorry you are having sleep issues. I am also a stomach sleeper! I had anterior approach, so technically I can sleep any which way. I just need to be careful turning over, and back. I've chosen not to risk it, so far. Last night was the first time I intentionally rolled onto my right side. (I've been on my back, or on my left side with a pillow between my legs.) I was too nervous to stay in that position though. 6 weeks can't come fast enough!

Since the boys are now 6 years old, I am surprised the breeder is doing cadiac tests NOW. Wouldn't a breeder normally do that with a young cat just prior to starting it in her breeding program? That's how responsible dog breeders do things. With bichons (the breed I am most familiar with) they get eyes and knees tested and certified as clear of all genetic issues, prior to any breeding. The timing seems a bit odd to me.
 
I never look at a pet as having a health guarantee. Our lovely Maine Coon had fiv. We nursed her for 14 years she was 16 when she passed. Our current pup is a rescue. Very scared but is coming along. Sorry for the delay. It is hard waiting to pick up new furry family members.
 
@Mythmomma I have 5 cats, 1 is FIV +. Bobby came to me at age 4 months, he was born feral and was part of the Trap Neuter Return program. He is now age 15 and doing well! We've had a few bumps during the years due to his FIV, but he bounces back. My dogs have also all been rescues. Tasha was rescued from a puppy mill when she was age 5 years. Born and raised in a cage in Missouri, used as a piece of inventory to produce puppies for pet stores. She is now age 16. She will never trust humans as a pet dog does. She learns to trust individuals, with repeat positive interactions. The rescue I volunteered with only placed a mill rescue in a home that already has a socialized dog. The mill dog will observe and emulate behavior. And Roxy, who I picked up Dec 13, 2019, spent her life in a cage in a cellar in Brookline, MA producing puppies. The woman thought she was about age 10 years. Give your pup time, be consistent with routine. Watching the scared ones calm down and blossom into the dogs they were meant to be is so rewarding!
 
The cats have been tested previously. I suspect that our poor Baz who died so suddenly last month had an enlarged heart and I think the breeder suspects that too. He had grown to be very big indeed. These heart enlargements can increase with age as a cat grows. Jackson and Finn were fine when younger but may not be now. Time will tell. I expect this screening is expensive and the breeder is paying.
Meanwhile we went shopping today and bought various items for 'the boys'. Also meant a good walk for me!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom