THR Spex10 in recovery

Spex10

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Am back in the room. Op all done and apparently went well. Legs still numb but feeling returning a bit. How to I transfer to the post op side of Bonesmart?

@Spex10 Welcome to the other side. I just moved your first post op post to a recovery thread for you. Post all your updates and questions here so that we have all your information in one place if we need to advise you.

I'll leave a copy of the recovery guidelines here for you as well.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Whoa! I missed offering you best wishes ahead of time. And here you’re in recovery already….just like that! I hope they have your pain well managed, they’re keeping you comfortable and providing you with ice. :ice: It quickly becomes the only thing you want that close to you, for a time. Wishing you comfort and lots of peaceful naps as you begin your healing journey. I will be following…:friends:
@Spex10

@Spex10 :wave: nice to see you on the recovery side! Try to get as much rest as you can. I know, hospitals are the last place to rest. :heehee: Hoping they keep your pain under control and you have a peaceful evening.

Thanks all. Unfortunately I had a pretty awful night. Pain not under control, BP plummet resulting in a couple of near faints. Finally got to sleep just as the ward is coming noisily into action. Oh well.

Oh Yes - ice packs are wonderful. So sorry you had a bad night - but just hope today is better. They didn’t let me get up because I kept fainting too! All the best to you as you get better and better!

Hospitals are the worst places to try and get some sleep! That coupled with trying to get post op pain under control is really a challenge. I hope you can get some rest today. Please take it easy and don't move too fast while that BP is not stable.

:hi: My first night was rough too...:sad:
Yay, they brought you Ice:ice:
They did some tweaking on my pain meds to finally get things levelled.
Hang in there, friend.

All temporary

That's a relief @cannygirl so it's not just me! The staff are unfailingly kind. I've just (sort of) walked to the commode and only sick and faint once! They say it's the drugs.
Physio again in half an hour. She's only doing practical stuff.

Better today. No fainting or being sick. Just managed a walk along what felt like a mile long corridor. Heart racing and out of breath but I made it. Just sitting in a chair now.
I can't say I feel the instant relief that others do. I feel pain in the area of the incision and especially when I first get up. Oh well. It's all progress. I might get home tomorrow. I was kept in for another day after yesterday's ups and downs.

:wave: Good job for your walk and some of the anaesthesia getting out of your system has probably helped with that yucky dizzy feeling.

Just managed a walk along what felt like a mile long corridor. Heart racing and out of breath but I made it. Just sitting in a chair now.
I remember. I had to walk to the small PT facility in my surgical center and I was in the very last room down the hall that connects to the other hall that led to that area.:groan:
Told the PT seemed unfair:heehee:

I can't say I feel the instant relief that others do. I feel pain in the area of the incision and especially when I first get up.
I can't imagine anyone got away from the surgery pain to be totally comfortable. :nah:
I remember it was several weeks postop with things levelling off (and my anxionsness subsiding) that I actually realized the bone crunching horrid hip pain was gone!
Everything else... incision quads, muscles and tendons were complaining but.... All temporary.
Hope you can get home soon so you can get more comfy.
:) :-) (:

Thanks. Glad its not just me. I just had a shower though and, just standing there unsupported, there was no actual pain. Felt miraculous. Sore again as I started moving.
Am all dressed and ready to go home. Fingers crossed physios say I'm good to go.

Hello @Spex10 :wave:
First showers are the best! Sounds like you’re doing well.
It will be much more relaxing to be resting in your own space, without the constant noise and interruptions of your surgery site. Safe travels home! Will look forward to your next update.

Here's hoping you're at home now and resting comfortably. :thumb:

Thanks. I am. First night home not very comfortable but I got a reasonable sleep. Can't complain. OH trying hard.
Big news - no er 'after effects' from the Morphene. All OK in the bathroom! Sorry for too much information but it was a big thing for me.

I was pretty horrified to hear that there was no physio follow up at all and that all I'd get in the way of a follow up is a phone call in 8 weeks time. Not very impressed really.

Hello and Happy Saturday! Great news you had some decent sleep and avoided constipation.
I understand your disappointment in regard to Physio, but unless you’re struggling with a certain issue, PT really isn’t necessary per the BIG TIP in the Recovery Guidelines -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Given your experience with joint replacement and the time you‘ve spent here reading and kindly supporting others, I’m betting you’ll do just fine. Stay in touch, we’re here for you always. :)
@Spex10

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks