THR Spex10 in recovery

Odd bit of a breakthrough yesterday. A friend came round and l made her coffee etc. It was only after she left that I realised that I'd completely forgotten my new hip. I'd been up and down out of a low chair, made coffees and carried mugs through to the sitting room, generally fetched and carried various items to show her, taken her round the house to look at pictures in each room etc. Not once did I feel uncomfortable or that I had to move in a certain way. I really had forgotten my new hip.
It's four weeks old today. I've not taken any painkillers for a week (at least) It's been a great start. The Bonesmart way of rehab completely without PT has worked very well for me.
 
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
4 weeks and lots of improvement to come.
Hope the rest of you week is Sweet.
 
:wave:Good afternoon way over yonder across the pond @Spex10
Great update! We’re happy for you and thankful you’re finding the slow and easy approach works best! I hope you’re having a good day and enjoy the rest of the week. :SUNsmile:
 
Another breakthrough - I risked turning over on to my front in bed last night and it was fine! Maybe, just maybe, my nights of lying on my back just wishing I could turn over are coming to a close. However, after my two TKRS I know to take nothing for granted.
I'm still just trying to keep moving around. I try to do two walks a day. Not far or for very long but enough to keep the rest of me ticking over.
My hip is still sore when I first stand from sitting but that wears off as I walk around.
 
As a stomach sleeper, I know just how big a deal this is! Well done!!! Another milestone in reach!
 
Ah, these milestones are wonderful, aren’t they? I think the forgetting I had a hip replacement was the sweetest. Slow and steady certainly wins this race.
It’s nice to meet other MC owners/fans. Our Chester found us as a kitten. We think he is not full MC but has all the characteristics and personality that wins the hearts of anyone who meets him.
Enjoy your family time and your milestones. All good things to come.
 
Party in the garden of our block of flats tonight. All the neighbours are nice people so it should be fun. Main concern, after what to wear, is should I take a stick or not? It's a very 'hospital' looking item. I don't use it inside as I don't really need it. If I use it, it'll be a talking point ie that's what people will talk about to me. I kind of want to forget about it and listen to others talking about other things. This hip replacement has dominated every aspect of my life for weeks now. Can I risk a night off? There will be wine but I'm not very keen on it so shouldn't be impaired by alcohol.
 
Hot news! Now I can turn over in bed. Both sides and can finally lie on my front. What a breakthrough!
I did take my stick to the party last night and was glad of it in the end. I wore quite a voluminous dress so could hide it in the folds.
 
So glad you are doing so well.
Lots of improvements yet to come!:egypdance:
 
Hot news! Now I can turn over in bed. Both sides and can finally lie on my front. What a breakthrough!
Well done - I’m really glad for you! Just a wee bit jealous as I should be WAY ahead but still toiling. I love the idea of a voluminous dress that you can loose aids in:heehee: I’ve been awol for a while - I guess I didn’t have much progress to report.
 
Thanks @cannygirl. I'm not a very 'dressy' person. The dress in question is a huge sort of caftan and it hides a multitude of sins. I only bought it this summer as it's so cool to wear instead of my usual cosy trousers.
I bet you've made more progress than you realise but I'm very sorry to hear you have so much pain on walking.
 
I've been reading over my posts. I'm very sorry if I've come over as smug or gleeful at my comparatively straightforward recovery. To put it in context, I had a terrible time with my first TKR and well remember the months of misery culminating in a manipulation under anaesthetic. It's because of this that I can hardly believe how quickly I seem to be recovering from the hip replacement.
I should say so far so good but I can't take anything for granted. It'll be my five week anniversary tomorrow...
 
terrible time with my first TKR and well remember the months of misery culminating in a manipulation under anaesthetic.
Oh I thought that my TKR recovery was bad! ..thank you for the reminder- I’m way better than I was after my knee . You aren’t smug - just thankfu!
 
Christmas 2016 was the last time I cried. I was so upset and disheartened at my knee just not bending or healing. My husband was appalled at the state of me. However, the MUA worked well and my second TKR went much better but recovery still took ages.
 
Hot news! Now I can turn over in bed. Both sides and can finally lie on my front. What a breakthrough!
I did take my stick to the party last night and was glad of it in the end. I wore quite a voluminous dress so could hide it in the folds.
Yay! It’s so nice to hear that you can lay on both sides. I’m right behind you being able to sleep for a long period of time on my non-surgery side and slowly inching my way down on the surgery side using pillows to support me halfway. Sleeping on the back only is extremely uncomfortable. You are making such great progress.
 
It's not natural though. I have to sort of steel myself and think,
' Right. I'm going to turn over. One two three...and... over I go.'
So not exactly relaxing! It's a start anyway.
 
Woohoo I drove my car today! I always fear that I somehow will have forgotten how to. OH didn't want me to even try but I waited till he'd gone out, got in the car quite easily and drove off. All fine. Five weekiversary today. Had to wait till 12 weeks after my second and easier TKR. It was months after my first one.
Another milestone.
 
:driver:Woohoo!
Freedom!
Happy 5 weeks.:) :-) (:
Keep all slow and steady so you don't join the infamous 0.D.I.C. (OverDid It Club)
Lots of Improvements to come.
Yay for new hips.:happydance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom