THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shrinkette Dear Friend, I wish I could come and sit a while with you, but know that I am there with you in spirit. You are surrounded by love from all of us who love you and support you. Let that be some comfort in these difficult days you are experiencing. Please let us know what the doctors say-- are you any better today?

Love,

Milli
 
I hope all works out for you Ellen and that your numbness will dissipate so you can start to walk and recover,
My thoughts are with you.
Cheers Heinz
 
I just want to know one thing: Those who have or had the heavy, cement leg -- is it just heavy and have to be lifted, or is it also painful? Mine is painful due to all the cut & mangled soft tissue & tightened muscle that needs to heal, according to PT. I can barely lift it off the floor when sitting at the edge of the bed. I can't get the muscle to even extend my leg flat on bed, or to lie on bed & raise/bend knee up, without help. Anyone else ???
Looking for reassurance. Thanks, guys.
 
@shrinkette My leg felt like a tree trunk for weeks, and I had weird electrical-feeling impulses running through my upper thigh so badly that I couldn't sleep or lie in one place for long. To get off and on the bed I had to sit with my hands resting behind my body (like a tripod-body and two arms) and edge my self back onto the bed using my arms and butt. I don't think this was at all unusual for the first few weeks.
Hope you are getting increasing sensations in your foot.
 
Hi Ellen, You sound good tonight! How was your day? Lots of physio in it?? How hard is that?!? Except for when I first came out of surgery, I have not had the 'cement' leg, but I've really got to work to get myself onto the bed. In fact, I was warned before time to develop my arm muscles and I thought I had arm muscles. NO!! I did not! My poor right arm is taking the brunt of moving my not inconsiderable heft around the bed and it's protesting! I just keep practicing and it is getting a little better to move my leg about, although I'm sure it's not close to what it will be. I had a bit of a down day today - I think I walked too much yesterday (two short walks!) and woke up in the night with pain in my leg, about a 4 or 5. I got it down again, but it took me quite a long time. I was warned, but I guess I didn't take the warning seriously :) And I am having trouble from he11 with my digestive system. I thought I was being so smart in adding lots of fibre before the surgery but I think that's backfiring like crazy. Oh well, this too shall pass (!) I'm sure...
 
Yes Ellen your PT is right. I am no expert but Like I have said in other posts I work in an Orthopedic office. I talk to people all day long who are recovering from this surgery. Yes those muscles have to heal. Ellen... rest assure all that you have been posting I hear every day at my job.....,,,those same people who have the same issues as you .....after the healing are doing awesome.......really Ellen...no one said this is fun.....you will get there....on your own time....:SUNsmile:....
 
Ellen, are there problems with getting your pain med doses working effectively? I know you have other issues to contend with, and it may simply be that you aren't quite medicated enough. But if there are issues counter-balancing that with low BP, etc., then it may be that there has to be a trade-off.

I always knew if I was stretching too long between doses, because what had been fairly easy with maybe just a bit of discomfort, was suddenly very painful....and that was true for a good six weeks. Getting in and out of bed in the first week was never exactly easy...but it wasn't as difficult as what you are describing, so I have to wonder if you are under-medicated. But if that is the case, then you and your doc need to decide if there is a way to tweak your meds. If it turns out that it's too risky for other reasons, then you are going to have a more uncomfortable recovery for a while longer. IT WILL PASS.

Sharon
 
no one said this is fun...
I want to clarify this comment for @shrinkette .
No one even said it was kind of OK. They all said it was difficult but worth it.
And I know from some communication with you myself that you are already aware of that.

What it seems like you're asking is a fairly common question here on the boards:
"Am I normal or should I be worried?".

Since I don't have any expertise, only my own experience, I can only comment on SOME of your events (and I previously had in this thread) and even then only as an observer of the items I've read here and my own experience.

It seems a resounding: "Yes.". You ARE normal.

You may be someone who is having some difficulties that others don't, but your difficulties are not beyond the pale as they say. You may be needing attention that some others don't need. But it seems like, from the queries you've mad here and with your own doctors and PT's that you are on the path to recovery even if it seems like you're not at the moment. For this reason, you needn't "worry".

This is not to say that you shouldn't ask QUESTIONS of your doctors, your PT, your friends and co-hippies here on Bonesmart. Find out (like you are) if what you're feeling is OK.

I also like the previous recommendation in this thread to ask questions about your meds and your pain management.

Good luck to you. Thank you for keeping us all posted here because we worry. :)

~DrToonz
 
@DrToonz Just wanted to go on record of thanking you for a lot of very wise & often amusing advice & input. Droll, even, you imp! I'm sorry I'm unable to make my own contributions right now. Keep em coming..& keep doing well. ❤

@sharonslp Sharon, as usual you're very helpful. But I am confused: Am I supposed to have SO much med or ENOUGH med on board that when the stiff or sore leg is stretched/manipulated into painful positions or made to work in some way to counteract what surgery has just done, that it won't hurt??!! Supposed to hurt less during treatment, I suppose. don't remember ever having this problem with my knee: it was painful during PT & otherwise even with meds on board & gradually became less painful in general.

They might be able to give me more pain stuff, altho my BP did go way down on occasion. I'm going to speak to doc in charge & find out if more or other stuff might make me more able to work that leg & get that muscle going. Right now I take 2 Norcos every 4 hrs & they're good about ensuring I have it 1/2 hr prior to PT. Do you think Percocet might be better? In last few days they added Lyrica to the mix because it's esp for nerve pain & I've had that numbness & pins/needles problem. Stay tuned... I will pursue this. Love you for helping!❤❤

When I'm lying in bed at night with no pain at all cause I'm not moving, should I still take the regular dose? Can't believe I'm so confused about al this after having gone through tons of surgery.

Ellen
 
@shrinkette I wish I had some advice to give you Ellen but there are so many others who can help there. I just wanted to say I am still rooting for you from the pre-op sidelines and hoping that each day brings better results than the day before. You are in my thoughts and prayers, sweetie!!
 
Thank you, @mystikfairy61 I value every bit of your concern. I honestly never expected this stuff before! I've had plenty of surgery... It's always worse before it eats better... Slowly, progressively. But I don't know what the normal is for me at this stage. Maybe I'm expecting far too much. If I didn't have the numbness it would be so great!
 
Good Morning Ellen - hoping that today brings you sunshine and continued healing. Prayers and good wishes coming your way.
 
Hi ellen @shrinkette. Glad to hear a 'sign of life' from you. What a rough beginning yr having. Hope yr hemoglobin and bp are straightening out. And all the other dramatic stuff thats going on. Didnt u hope for 'uneventful'. I guess u got more events than u wanted. As for pain i dont know but would always err on the side of too much.praying for u. Devorah
 
@dickinson Devorah, it's been rough. The numbness in my foot called "foot drop" which will hopefully go away in time. Who knows how much. Very good sign @ today's PT was my ability to lift my toes up & keep them up. PT was extremely encouraged by this. Walked 35 steps on my numb foot. Blood count is now good as is BP. Will work later today on getting into bed, & also working the op leg to increase that front muscle strength which is where the weakness is. . Quads & glutes ar fine, I'm told. TMI? Sorry .. Just so worried,& trying hard to recoup.
Also in process of discussing pain meds.

Hope you're doing amazingly & not regretting it for a moment. Done anything special?

Ellen.
 
Ellen, that sounds like good news - guess it's just a longer marathon for you but hopefully with great results. Glad the other things are resolving - and you are able to walk more - you 'll be home soon but I'm glad you now are where you can get more help! Thinking of you every day!

Pat
 
Ellen, if the narco is working for you, then don't change it. But your other question about taking meds at night when you aren't moving around and therefore aren't feeling pain is telling. YES....keep the meds going consistently in order to stay AHEAD of the pain. Otherwise, when you do start moving around in the daytime, you are starting from the beginning again, and trying to catch up. By the time you catch up, you stop for the night.....do you see the pattern that works against you?
@Josephine, am I explaining this correctly?

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom