THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi @shrinkette . wondering how today's going and I wanted to ask...when you do stand with the walker, can you stand up straight? is Quasimodo gone yet? so, as you said, here's to more and more feeling!
 
I wasn't allowed to sleep on either side in the beginning, for fear of violating the "don't cross the midline" rule. I still sleep mostly on my back because being on either side still isn't comfortable for very long. I still have some deep soreness that is aggravated by lying on either side. It's OK, though -- I don't really like sleeping on my back, but it is OK. Small enough price to pay, I figure . . . .

How is the numbness today? Are you getting back feeling in the bottom of your foot?? And your pain level?

You're in my thoughts and prayers for healing, dear @Skrinkette.

Love,

Milli
 
Hi @shrinkette! Having a good day? I have not been told to not lie on my operated side, but I really don't want to, it's still quite tender. I have been able - with judicious placing of pillows, to sleep on the other side though and I find that to be a great relief, even if only for a little while. It seems to get the blood moving and takes the pressure off my lower back. The physiotherapist came to our house today and had a look at our setup. She was able to make a couple of good suggestions and reposition a couple of things to make my life easier. My DH returned the elevated toilet seat to the Red Cross and got a commode chair instead. We've placed it (sans bucket!) over the toilet and I feel much more comfortable using it, more secure. I haven't been getting nice long sleeps in the night, but then again I've been setting my alarm for every four hours. I don't want to skip a dose of meds only to wake up in agony. Eventually, that fear will go away but I believe I'll start skipping day doses before night time ones. As it is, I have at least one nice long nap in the daytime, I'm talking a couple of hours. I'm feeling quite good, no depression yet but I cannot begin to express how much noise my STOMACH is making!!!
 
Hi Ellen. Just checking in. I think the heavy leg thing lasts for a bit. I remember having to assist my leg into bed. We are all pulling for you. <3 I am really so sorry that you have had such a rough start.
 
Thinking of you @shrinkette...glad the rehab is good for you and that there is a small improvement. The cement leg is a reality but is does get better week by week...honestly...as I am sure the numbness in your foot will too. It must be as frustrating as hell for you.......Couldn't sleep on either side for 12 weeks because of restrictions and still sleeping on back at 4 months...it's become a habit.!! Hoping each day us a little better for you....love Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Josphine. PLEASE help me. I'm walking on a walker, barely able to push/shuffle/lift operated leg to make a step. Maybe make 15 or so steps. The sole & top of that foot are still numb. Can't feel my foot. Can just about get off bed in rehab with use of leg lifter; can not get on. Someone must pick up my legs & swing them in. I'm 1 week post-op today. How am i supposedcyo be doing? Everyone seems to at least get up @ least enough to get home in varying degrees & conditions. This rehab is a difficult-to-qualify for place on the 6th floor of the hospital where i had the surgery. Top place.

Had a CT scan yesterday which showed a hematoma in pelvis which will presumably dissipate. They examined this due to low hemaglobin. Coumadin intake obviously causes problems; they're trying to regulate carefully. Still needed second double blood transfusion last night. Acquired new UTI since here. AND was just informed CT showed an unknown "spot" on my pancreas. Can't tell you how I feel.. Don't know what's going on... Upset & at loose ends. Too much info, I know. This was not the way it was supposed to go. Thank you. I love you all.
 
@shrinkette Oh dear Ellen, we all love you!
First let me tag @Josephine for you. You had a misspell so I wanted to ensure she sees this quickly.
My hugs and prayers go up for you.
 
Oh, Ellen, this is NOT how it is supposed to go - sorry you have still having so many problems! I hope they can figure them out and get you well and home and walking soon!! I check in to see if you have posted several times a day - thinking of you and saying prayers.

Pat
 
@shrinkette ...Keeping good thoughts and praying that things start improving. I thank god everyday for Bonesmart, because it calms my fears knowing there are people out here for support. Prayers being sent...Sue :SUNsmile:
 
@shrinkette so sorry to hear you're still having such a rough time. I can't even imagine how hard that has to be. I will continue lifting you up in prayer. Please know that many people here that care and are pulling for you!!
 
Someone must pick up my legs & swing them in. I'm 1 week post-op today.
Sorry that you're having such a rough bunch of bumps (more like giant potholes, I'd say) on your recovery road. I can only relate to one of your questions so I'll attempt to do that.

If I'm laying in bed, or on my recliner as I am now, I cannot lift my lets to put a pillow under them or to swing them over to get out of bed. I MUST use a leg lifter, which I would bet is difficult for some because it takes some strength to pull your leg up like that. When I DO use a leg-lifter strap, it's not easy for me. I have to use one for each leg and go really slow or I end up accidentally DROPPING a leg and that can be painful too.

I can, while laying flat out, move my legs to the left and to the right (individually - one at a time) with some difficulty. I can also raise my KNEE using only knee-area muscles. This is also difficult. Not painful, but difficult and requires slippery sheets on the bed because the friction between heel and bed is too great, it ain't happening.
I cannot lift either leg when laying out straight.

I don't have any foot numbness, so I can't speak to that. I do have numbness down the right side of my right thigh. Both incision sites are entirely numb on the surface about 1-2" outside the incision.

I just thought I'd throw that out there since we had the same op date.

Good luck.
 
oh man ellen @shrinkette ! how terrifying..so much coming at you at once and plus you feel so lousy. are you also in a lot of pain? waiting to hear what @Josephine says. in the meantime, just praying for you. and hoping they'll be able to unravel all this and fix it. and then you'll be happy to ice, rest, elevate, meds faithfully. and throw in some ben&jerry's.
 
@DrToonz . I was just noticing your signature where you wrote "it can't get here soon enough". do you still feel that way? sorry for how hard it sounds, altho you do bring it to us in great form. I hope that what you wrote at least helps ellen with normalizing this part. maybe with bilateral you have to double the recovery time. (?) hope you continue to see progress and that it eases up.
 
@shrinkette ....Ellen so very sorry that things aren't going as well as they could be. :sorry: I pray for your every day that things will start to get better and the improvements happen daily. I can only imagine how hard it is not only having things happening like they are but to be away from home as well. I too would be terrified at everything you are dealing with. Sending you prayers of healing and comfort....Continue to let us know how you are doing. Love you and thinking of you, my friend.

Donna
 
@shrinkette...Oh Ellen i feel so bad for you.:boohoo: I guess Ellen your recovery will be somewhat harder, but don't get discouraged. Everyone is different. Dumb luck. You will get there. Everything will clear up and that hip will work great. It seems like you have various issues going on, besides the numbness and cement feeling how is that hip feeling? Any pain there?. I will say a prayer for you. I know you expected a better outcome but who's to know when they have this surgery. I am sure there are many stories like yours. Stay positive Ellen as hard as it is. With each day that passes things change and I will pray that the days ahead will be better.. You will get there. It's trauma to your body Ellen and your body is saying...I didn't like that girl......!!!! Be well..:SUNsmile: Sunny days ahead..

JoAnne
 
so sorry Ellen. It will get better… even people who have a rough start seem to catch up so it seems on her.. you are in my thoughts and praying you feel better real soon:)
 
I'm walking on a walker, barely able to push/shuffle/lift operated leg to make a step. Maybe make 15 or so steps. Can just about get off bed in rehab with use of leg lifter; can not get on. Someone must pick up my legs & swing them in. I'm 1 week post-op today. How am i supposedcyo be doing?
All of which is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. It's not at all uncommon for people to be this long getting out of this phase. Plus you have this odd complication of the numbness. Not sure what that's all about or how long it will last. But I DO know this is all pretty normal for one week. Don't panic, don't despair. Things will improve in their own time. This isn't a competition and you have nothing to prove by doing better or otherwise than others. This too shall pass!
 
Praying for rest and peace for you my dear! Just take it one day at a time and don't compare yourself to others. Love u....Judy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom