THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shrinkette You are in my prayers, as always. I am hoping and praying they will get to the bottom of all this quickly and you can get your peace of mind back. Dear heart, I am so sorry all this is happening to you.

Love,

Milli
 
@shrinkette, Ah Ellen, I'm very sorry that your recovery is not going as you hoped it would. Are you in pain though? Or is this all a whole lot of scary unknowns? It's so hard for us when we're experiencing terrifying anticipation that we somehow convince ourselves that none of it will happen to us. You sound like you're quite panicky right now but when I look at what you're saying and compare it to the guidelines/expectations that are posted on this site, you are not really far off the expectations. Well, okay - no one said anything about a crummy UTI, or a spot on your pancreas. But the guidelines tell us that we can expect in the first week to be able to walk a few steps for five minutes or so every hour. Can you manage that? You have some residual numbness in your foot and that has got to feel weird but I know from my own surgery this time and previously that the numbness will eventually go away. As far as not being able to lift your legs onto the bed, could that possibly be a muscular issue? Having been in pain for a long time, you have not been able to exercise or otherwise build up muscle tone. Soon, the surgery pain and weakness will be gone and then you will be able to build up some muscle tone. Then you'll be cooking with gas! Are you comparing your recovery (unfairly) with others'? You are you Ellen, a lovely vibrant fun and very funny lady. You will recover from this and if it takes a few days longer than it takes me, oh well! It'll take me a few days longer than it took someone else, oh well! In the end, we will walk without rolling, we will not hurt. That's worth all the working through it now to me and I imagine to you too. Do keep posting Ellen dear, we are all in this together really. I hope you start feeling much better really soon.
 
Hi Ellen! Yes, sometimes we have to take things one minute at a time. You have every reason to be disappointed and angry, but that won't help things much. When I feel like this, I do give myself a little time to feel my feelings, get things off my chest and have my cry. I then reboot and realize that the only person I have to work with is ME. I can't change situations or people. I can only change myself. You are right in the thick of it. Josephine is right in that you will heal. Don't compare yourself to anyone. Be sure to pat yourself on the back for any accomplishments such as taking a few steps. Also spend some time resting and distracting yourself. Pray. Watch some comedy. Use our mantras. My favorite is Dr. Toonz, "I remain optimistic!" My heart goes out to you. There will come a day when you look back on this and realize a lesson was learned and that your experience has helped you as well as other people. I will tell you that my first hip operation was no picnic and I thought my butt was going to rot away (not to mention my brain) because all I could do is take a few steps and then spend the next few hours resting up with legs in the air and my ice packs in place. Praying that God will send you strength, humor and healing.
 
Absolutely agree with Jo, Ellen, it is still early days.. I know you have symptoms that you didn't expect but each day look for even the smallest of positive milestones.. You will get better honey..
 
I hope that what you wrote at least helps ellen with normalizing this part.
I have now corrected my signature. I didn't realize that my previous signature sentiment (pre-op) was still there.
I am actually pretty optimistic. When I describe my trials and tribulations, I'm merely hoping to be honest and transparent as both a way of comparison for myself and others.
It seems the most obvious, and the most common, question is "Is ___ normal?" If we are all honest here, which it seems we are, then it's easy to see where others are, what the common maladies are and it DOES help to, as you said, 'normalize' the difficulties. I do indeed hope that it is helpful to Ellen.
I'm not sure if bilateral = double the recovery time, but my OS did say that it was MORE lenghty. Daily and weekly and overall progress is my meter. Better = good. No matter if its a slow-to-arrive better.
Thank you VERY much for your concern. :)
 
I think I must be so drugged that I can't figure out where new stuff is.. How to access ? You know -- gee, forget what I mean. Had Ativan last night to calm nerves before MRI. Worked like a charm . They bundled me up warm , tucked me in with nice music on headphones, & I never opened my eyes! Very relaxing! When I got back to room, my aides thought I was high as a kite!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping today is a better day for you Ellen. Hope your hubby is doing well also. Keep hanging in there and know you have the support of so many people on here!!
 
Good to hear from you shrinkette. I hope you find more peace like you did with the MRI. Always....Judy
 
Dear, @shrinkette ... I looked in on bonesmart and was horrified at what your week has been. I am so so sorry.
I wish I had advice. Use bonesmart as your life line as you will have a lot of support as well as practical ideas to hang on to from Josephine, et al., while you get through this tough time. You know it WILL pass, but of course that's hard to see right now. Will be thinking of you and hoping things start turning around soon. Please take care.
 
Glad you had some peaceful time @ shrinkette and you get some good results.... Thinking of you.... Chrissie xxx
 
@shrinkette It's great to hear from you. I hope that all is going OK and that you are progressing, even if the progress is baby steps.
We all love that you take a moment to update us. It's especially good to hear of a moment that went well.
Happy, thoughts!
 
Hi Ellen, just checking to see how you are doing. Each and every recovery is different so there is no place you should be at this point. The good news is you will get there. The path is no always a straight line. Hang in there @shrinkette !
 
@shrinkette - there is hope and there is recovery - hoping that you have no more stalls or troubles along the way. If they find something else that pokes its head out because of the stress of the surgery, at least you will be taking care of it. I know this is scary to not have it go as you expected but we are all still hoping and praying you have turned around soon and are past all this! Keep listening to good music, try to relax!

Pat
 
Ellen, wishing you good days ahead and things will level out for you as you deserve it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom