THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shrinkette Checking in with you to see how you are doing today. Do you have any improvement in your foot? Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers all the time.

Love,

Milli
 
A belated Ellen.. sounds like you are making progress.. Slow but progress :) xx

[Bonesmart.org] Shrinkette Has Arrived!
 
Here's my question: even if you don't have a numb foot, but you still have the old 'cement leg' for a few weeks or so post-op, how hard is it to walk on that heavy leg & LIFT it when you take steps on a walker ? I would think it's a struggle, yes, but doable apparently. I can get UP fine, btw, to standing position, so that's not an issue.

I THINK, but am not sure, there may be a little feeling coming back in sole. Afraid to be premature here. Once this happens, my recovery can proceed like everyone else's in terms of walking, sort of. And then I can be silly again.

Taking 2 Vicocodeines every 4 hrs on clock. They're good about that. Tonight my BP was too low for it, but I'm not in pain unless I stretch/turn or lift the op leg. Then watch out -- no strength. Leg lifter helps to haul it off bed, but I need help getting it on. I can pretty much get out of bed myself. AND, the "corkage/prune issue" has not reared its ugly head yet -- I am so grateful. Incision is very quiet now. Nurse said it's about 8" -- possible?
Drain is out for several days, but still oozing.

Well, here's to more nerves waking up. Oh, this strange thing: I'm so focused on trying to move my left foot while on walker, I have TOTALLY forgotten about hip or opposite problem side. Other than the painful leg, i dont feel any hip! Also, I think I may be more evened out. God, I want my foot back!!!

My lift chair at home came! My writing is disconnected...

Why ami a little itchy? Scalp, a few places on back? Meds?
 
Hi @shrinkette Hi Ellen - hope today was better? Even incrementally?? It seems so slow sometimes, doesn't it? I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as I haven't had any appreciable setback, not yet anyway, and we never really know what's coming up tomorrow, do we? How is your hubby doing? How is he coping with this? What bad luck to have had all of this happen at the same time - you so didn't deserve any of this. You did everything you could to get yourself ready, good frame of mind etc. I guess all you can do now is keep on keeping on. Good luck my dear friend and I also hope that you get that one bigger breakthrough that will let you know your recovery is really happening. Well Ellen my dear, if you don't get that big breakthrough, you'll just have to know that your recovery is like so many other people's, slow and steady. Hugs to you
 
Wow! It looks like we were posting at the same time and it looks like your breakthrough has happened! I'm soooo happy for you!. I would imagine that if you master the art of walking with cement leg, when the cement feeling goes away you'll feel light as air - how wonderful that sounds :) I don't know how long my incision is but it is brutally bruised! I am the proud recipient of 25 staples. I heard the whole operation! I had a spinal and I was told I'd be out really, but I was awake. I heard almost every single thing and it was wonderful! Who'd a thunk? It was like it was all happened to someone else that I really didn't care about. And it didn't hurt a bit. Coming out of the spinal was like what you describe as heavy foot. I really hated that, especially when they said can you move your toes, can you put your knees together. The feeling of not being able to was most unpleasant. But I guess I must have been moving, even tiny tiny bits, because they were not concerned. My blood pressure tanked after the surgery, went really low but they pushed a litre of saline and it came up nicely. That was it for complications. I am home now and behaving like the Queen of Sheba, issuing orders and requests from my bed. My poor sweet hubby!~ You were lucky that you did not have trouble with the 'corkage' issue. I thought I prepared myself well by making and eating m special cookies but really what I did was empty myself. Oh well, I was bound not to get it all 100 percent right!
I had zero pain after the surgery and they were giving me three mgs of hydromorphone every three or four hours, can't remember. Because of the sleep apnea thing (which was suspected only) they couldn't give me the long acting stuff. Didn't matter, whatever they did worked and I felt no pain. Except when the pain killers from the surgery wore off during the second night. They were great about giving me hydroslkdjfaljdf intravenously, so that got sorted really fast. Having no pain now, they sent me home with Tylenol with codeine so I am taking softeners too. There, that's enough for now. I'm so happy you're back. I'm a little itchy too, not sure if it's the hospital environment or something leftover from the surgery. Small potatoes
 
@grandma chris OMG, u heard the whole thing? Sounds like u felt aware, but oddly disconnected. My doc promised I'd be asleep with Propafol (Michael Jackson drug). Nice. So glad you've been problem-free!

The rehab gives me 3 Colace @ separate times of day & it's working well. I used to take 3 3x/day & home once a day @ night. This is better. Of course, I'm not eating much now.

So u remembered what it felt like having a heavy foot after waking from surgery? Not fun.

Don't yet know how many staples I had. I had a previously-made post-op appt with surgeon next Thurs. I'll prob still be in rehab... Maybe his office people will come to me to check incision. My hubby took a pic -- pretty ugly. Don't care. At least Top half of sole & toes r numb still ... See what tomorrow brings. ❤❤❤.
 
@ shrinkette, happy belated birthday. Celebrating your victories....funny hiw you didnt even think about he other side :); hoping the foot comes back quickly or at least slowly but surely! I read back on my journal, and the lead leg was the worst part of my recovery, as I was coming out of the anesthesia. It's great to hear your humor coming through, too. We all love you and are praying for you!

@grandma chris - whew, what a surgery experience. Again you have the best attitude - I, too, think it would have been very cool to hear it all. Did the dr realize you were hearing it all? Thanks for sharing your details and progress. Glad your recovery is going smoothly and you can all the more encourage the rest of us.

God bless all..
 
@shrinkette was just thinking, and I wonder if the cement leg that I've heard so much about is peculiar to the anterior approach?? I didn't have it at all, really -- I mean moving the leg was no piece of cake, but I didn't have the symptoms everyone talks about with the cement leg. I wonder if it has something to do with where the incision is and what muscles are moved around, etc.

Anyway I"m so glad you are seeing some improvement and hope you get a big FAT improvement tomorrow. I am sorry to see you having so much grief with this. Mine was a walk in the park, comparatively to what you are going through. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Much love to you, dear friend!

Milli
 
Hi @shrinkette so glad you feel there has been a marginal improvement in your foot.

My cement leg was more for getting on and off the bed, getting dressed etc....after my BP improved walking was ok.

Have they given you any indication why your foot is like this? Are you happy with the response?

Sending more healing vibes you way and always thinking of you
 
Another question: when you roll onto NON-SURGICA side, does your top, operated leg/hip kill you to pull up (bend) as you lie there?
 
Hi Ellen, @shrinkette, I always used a pillow between my knees when rolling/sleeping on my un-operated side. It supported the heavy tree trunk of the operated leg.. and yes, itchy everywhere is quite common following surgery, the anesthetics, the drugs.. It does ease...

My wish for you tonight from OZ is - wake up sleepy foot and nerves, Ellen wants to go walking! xx
 
When I roll over on my non-operated side, which I have only been able to do in the past day or two, it does not hurt to bend my top (operated) leg. In fact, bending it a bit is more comfortable than having it straight. But for any bending, the precautions must be followed to not break 90 degrees. Keep that pillow between the legs. Being on my side is not really comfortable overall yet. I yearn for it, as a side sleeper, but right now it's better to stay on my back. Good luck to you Ellen. You ARE making progress. I know it's slow, but it's coming, and that numbness will resolve. Have faith. Hang in there!!
 
@shrinkette ....I seems like you had a day that was just a little better yesterday. Here's hoping that today brings a little more improvement. Prayers being sent your way for continued comfort and healing.

Donna
 
@shrinkette - Ellen, I could not really sleep on my non-operated side - that caused pain in my operated side... stuck it out 6 weeks on my back - now I can lie on either side at least for awhile. Hope this is a good day for you!
Pat
 
Hi, @shrinkette: I'm super-stoked by your signoff:

See what tomorrow brings. ❤❤❤

It has a hopeful and resilient quality to it. I think you should trademark it and use it in every signoff!!

How are you this fine morning? (is it still morning where you are?). I've been thinking about you and often do when I'm having a hard time because I know that you too are/were having a hard time. My 3am hard time last night was one of them when I couldn't sleep, I hurt, the drugs were working but were making me feel...drugged.

Anyway...I wanted to check in with you, see how you were doing and find out how your psyche is. Do you have today the same awesome "See What Tomorrow Brings. ❤❤❤" attitude that you signed off with last night?

Happy thoughts your way!

DrToonz (not a real doctor)
 
What is this Cement Leg thing?
I feel like both of my legs are full of cement but I have chalked it up to be all of the muscles from mid-femur up to lower torso are WORTHLESS. It's like when you go water-skiing for the first time in ten year and the next day you wake up and you find that there is pain in muscles you didn't even know you had. That's the pain and worthlessness in every muscle in that region for me.
A am not able to, with legs extended and lying down, really move my legs at all in any direction. worthless.
I can feel that there is a tiny bit more strength than there was a few days ago but nothing significant. All the muscles in my KNEES work fine though. so if I'm in bed on my back and I try to pull my feet under my knees, that actually works.
NUMBNESS: I have complete numbness on the surface of my right thigh from incision almost to my knee. No feeling at all. I have numbness also at the surgical site on the left thigh.

Hmmmm.....
DrToonz (not a real doctor)
 
Toonz the same numbness for me. I can tell a little feeling is coming back to the right leg so hopeful there. Missed PT today due to ice. Need to get up and DO something! Later dude. You sound like you are frustrated today. Hang in there, it is a marathon, not a race.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom