THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like you are having a rough time. I am sending you positive vibes and thoughts… it will get better ..I am sure..
 
@shrinkette, I am so sorry you are having a rough time. I will keeping up with your posts. Please don't lose hope yet. It is still very early in your recovery and a lot can change for you. Sending loving thoughts and prayers your way. Judy
 
I've had ankles elevated from beginning. Remembered this from TKR.

Norco is hardly touching pain. What happens is all of a sudden left foot explodes in terrible painful numbness. Head doc is being contacted for something stronger, but nurse tried to tell me I have the pain because its been 4.5 hours since last one. I told her its breakthrough & I shouldn't have to tolerate this! After all I've read here about pain, I'm pretty sure of that, right? She says maybe I don't need PAIN meds, but something else. ???

Apparently my husband just called & raised some hell. They're moving -- don't know what yet. I gt him all upset because I was crying. We're trying ice on it now -- first time. Nurse said to try to keep it moving.
 
Said numbness is more from surgical process than spinal.
Yes, in the area of the incision it is, because small superficial nerves were cut. That usually dissipates over a few weeks or months.
We're trying ice on it now -- first time.
You're joking! And all those things they are making you do - at 4 DAYS out?!! Give me break! The first week should be committed to nothing but rest! And you shouldn't need 'break through' meds either. Break through just means the medications you are being given are inadequate.
 
@Josephine Incision numbness or pain not terrible unless I'm forced to roll onto it while using bedpan. Thigh is somewhat swollen, but Is the numbness in foot that's making me nuts unable to take a step with that foot. That's what they're trying to get back. Fortunately, PT told me to be sure & tell them if something they're dong, hurts.
 
Oh, Shrinkette -- I am just SO sorry you are having all this trouble. Mine was a walk in the park compared to what you are going through.

You DO need better pain meds. If you are hurting, you need pain meds. Is Norco all you are taking? I had oxy in the beginning and also gabapentin while in hospital, and whatever else they gave me in the IV. Scream your head off for better pain control!! They need to take it very seriously,

You are, as always, in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Milli
 
@shrinkette!!!! Oh please don't feel sad. I feel for you so:boohoo:. I think you must.... must... Remind yourself you had Major surgery. I am in no way a Doctor but have worked in the orthopedic field for years and have talked to hundreds of patients throughout their recovery. Everyone has their own recovery story. I had a man today call the office so upset saying his wife was having such a hard time, He was almost crying with fear that she wasn't doing well. But she was!!!! She was only 10 days out of surgery! He talked to the doctor and his mind was put at ease. I could tell you hundreds of stories. There is pain with this surgery..I refill scripts constantly but you will work through this. Being wiped out, nerve pain, low blood..all of that I hear on a daily basis. But you know what? By the time I see these people coming in for their follow ups they are smiling Ellen. Its hard and it will take all you have to climb this mountain, believe me you will get there, and look you are talking to someone who's scared to death of this surgery!!!! But you did it!!!! You have to rely on others now an accept that you can't do everything for yourself now. Do what you can. You will see a difference in 2 weeks trust me you will. I always keep a log of the patients who had surgery ...Its so wonderful when they come in and in the doctors dictation the first sentence always reads like this....Patient is thrilled with the results, and is so happy they had the surgery. You will be saying that soon..you'll see.:kittykiss:...thinking of you...feel better...this is the hard part...it will pass...:SUNsmile:
 
Hi Ellen, @shrinkette, I am so surprised.. are you only starting with the ice packs now? Ice is a natural pain relief in itself and Jo is so, so right they need to reevaluate your pain meds if you are getting breakthrough pain.. It certainly means you are not getting adequate pain control... Insist honey! .. Hugs from down under xx
 
But doesn't everybody understand??!!i can't walk on left foot. It won't take a step!
 
Hi Ellen, @shrinkette, glad to hear you are using ice. I have read your posts and I do understand you are having foot problems. I am so sorry you are having such a rough time of it. We are here for your Ellen and wish we could fix your foot problem - stay with us honey.. Hugs from Australia! Xx
 
@shrinkette I have just finished reading all 10 pages of your post-op, it has been like a roller coaster ride.

I am so sorry for the foot issues and pain. I know it is difficult to deal with being dependent and not having your body do what you want it to do. I am still awaiting my BTHR in March and even though you are having these issues it is not deterring me from following through. Just think back to the pain you were in before, and even know little by little, no matter how tiny they are you are making progress! It is difficult, because you have been so very supportive to everyone on this forum, you are a rock for us.

I am feeling your frustration, your left foot isn't working like you want it to or it is supposed to right now, but with the message that @chaseyboy wrote a little bit ago, it sounds like you just have to find the patience to make it through another day. Our bodies didn't break down on us over night. I wish that we could all be like @Freaky freak, really she sounds like Wonder Woman, but sometimes we have to heal differently in our own time line, your body knows best, you have/had a great OS and it sounds like you are doing everything right.

Please know that I hope tomorrow is a much better day and maybe rest is the most important thing your body needs. You are in my thoughts, try to get some sleep and if not scream your lungs out till some comes and eases your pain. Or keep messaging until your the drugs kick in, all typos are welcomed!
 
Hi, @shrinkette : Seems pretty terrible for you. Sorry. I'm certain nothing I can say will make anything different.
I can only offer to keep my thoughts with you.
Many have given you advice and most sounds reasonable. Most of the actions that you have taken also seem reasonable.
I patiently, and with hope, await a post from you which portrays a step in the right direction.
Good luck. We are all rooting for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom