TKR Sharon’s second knee recovery!

Catalien here.... I’m just now doing a little catching up, I haven’t been on for a few days. I’m so very sorry to hear of your friend’s husband passing. And also of your nurse friend’s husband. I think they are both very fortunate to have you as their friend.. my prayers have been, and continue for comfort for all.
I’m so happy to hear of your daughter’s good MRI report! That’s wonderful. It sounds like her Dr is keeping a good eye on her, & feels like she is doing well. Sure hope that lingering Covid effect goes away soon.
O I’m so glad you got that time with your grandchildren... I think Hawkie summed it up perfectly. And I totally relate to the getting up! I was so thrilled when my surgeon cleared me for baths rather than showers.... what a Shock when I went to lower myself in for that first bath... I did not realize how weak my legs had become. My therapist worked with me some on that & gave me some exercises to strengthen, and we walk daily now ( except lately when we’ve had snow, and, some black ice). But we’re up to a little over 2 miles a day, in our neighborhood. Our daughter showed us an app that we loaded on my phone, & it gives you a good mileage.
We’re hoping to see our grandson soon. We’d planned a get-together for my Birthday this past Saturday, but 2 of his teachers had been diagnosed with Covid, & several classmates out, so our daughter was concerned he might expose us. Everyone is fine for now, teachers back, so we’re working on a visit soon. I’ve been working on doing some Much- needed cleaning out & organizing. Feels good, and I’m finding some things I’d been looking for!
I enjoyed all the discussions on camping. We did a fair amount when the kids were young, & had a VW camper. What fun! We sometimes took it to a little park near us on a Saturday morning & cook breakfast. Before our daughter was born, we backpacked some in New Mexico in the Pecos Wilderness.....it was Beautiful there. Reading ya’lls posts on camping brought back some happy warm memories. Thanks❤️
Well, I will close this & wish everyone a restful evening & good health. And ever stronger knees each day!
 
We went to our friend’s funeral today. It was very uplifting and a celebration of a life well lived. His daughter got up and spoke and I don’t know how she did it but she did a great job.
My knee was sore today from 2 days with the babies but not too bad! We leave for FL two weeks from tomorrow! It was 5 degrees this morning and I think -5 yesterday morning. We need some heat and sunshine!
@Catalien45 Enjoyed hearing your camping adventures too! I admire that you backpacked! You should see me get in the bathtub. It is about as entertaining as when I get up from the floor.
@Susie-Q I am doing pretty well! We were with grand kids from Sun evening until yesterday afternoon. The older boys are easy compared to the little ones. We cherish our time with the older ones because they are getting to the ages when they want to be with their friends and do their sports. So we jump on every chance to be with them.
I have been enjoying sleeping on my stomach again. I don’t stay on it all night but a good portion of the night. That isn’t really a good position to sleep for our backs or necks but I can sure get comfortable that way!

Hoping for a relaxing and restful sleep for us all!
 
@Sks1997 - that's great that you had time with the grandnuggets. I find that I am just marveling as they each show signs of maturing. My oldest is 15 this year (a bonus from my son's wife)! I have 2 that are 10, 2 that are 7 and 1 more that is 8. My son and daughter were competing sometimes but my duaghter admitted she couldn't keep up with the middle child. :) :-) (:

Be sure to take it easy so that you're in tip top shape for your trip.
 
Glad you got to spend time with your grandkids, that time is special to them as well as to you! :loveshwr:

Not sure if any of you caught it in my journal but last week when I took a bath I couldn't get out!! Everything was too slippery and I couldn't get any purchase with my feet to get them under me. I had to call my husband to come help me out! Next time I won't do a bath bomb AND bubbles and I really need to get a small mat to help my feet get some purchase....

Yes, what @hawk2go said, rest up and take it easy so you're in the best shape for your trip. We are planning a trip to Vegas in Sept with my sis in law and her hubby. That will be a year post-op for me. Last time we went there was lots and lots of walking involved. It will be interesting to see if my new knee can handle as much......
 
Good day all!
Susie, I had to laugh because the same thing nearly happened to me and I was so fearful of my husband having to help me out. I made it out on my own finally!

my knee is really bothering me today. I took Aleve and Tylenol and haven’t done that in a while.
I am on an adventure with my husband looking for him some new hiking boots. I saw this online and I think we’ve all discussed it before but it makes a lot of sense!

The Arthritis Foundation published a study from Tufts University in 2007 that found that every 10-degree drop in temperature corresponded with an incremental increase in arthritis pain. In addition, low temperatures, low barometric pressure, and precipitation can increase pain.

have a good day and good weekend all! I get to have a girlfriend day tomorrow. Going to movie and out to eat! :)
 
Many of our replaced knees act like barometers for a while. I know mine did, but not after the first 6-12 months.
 
Hey gang,
This has been discussed I know. My knee is still warm after 5 months. I’ve heard it said that it means the knee is still healing. It isn’t red or swollen, just warm. I still have so much soreness where the quad muscle meets the knee. I still feel like my quads are weak as i feel it so much when doing stairs! I still try to do my bike every day and just my normal activities around the house. Every time I try to do step ups to strengthen quad, the muscles get so inflamed! I haven’t attempted doing them in quite a while.
hope everyone is doing well! We are bracing for a huge amount of snow this week.
 
I'm no expert, but I thought if it's still warm that there is some inflammation still going on inside. :shrug:

Interesting about the article from the Arthritis Foundation. I'm sure this is why those with arthritis move to warmer climates!
 
My knee is still warm after 5 months. I’ve heard it said that it means the knee is still healing.
That is correct. Warmth is a sign that there's still healing going on in there. As long as it's not red and hot there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Remember, at 5 months you aren't quite 1/2 through this year-long or more healing.
 
I am sure there is inflammation as it is still sore to touch that area! And if there is swelling it is internal.
we had always planned to move south to warmer weather when we retired but after the grandkids came and my daughter got sick, that idea went out the window!
 
Hey gang,
This has been discussed I know. My knee is still warm after 5 months. I’ve heard it said that it means the knee is still healing. It isn’t red or swollen, just warm. I still have so much soreness where the quad muscle meets the knee. I still feel like my quads are weak as i feel it so much when doing stairs! I still try to do my bike every day and just my normal activities around the house. Every time I try to do step ups to strengthen quad, the muscles get so inflamed! I haven’t attempted doing them in quite a while.
hope everyone is doing well! We are bracing for a huge amount of snow this week.

i am at six months and have those identical symptoms, so you have company at least. :-)
 
Hi - sounds like you had fun with those grandkids... they grow up So fast, don’t they?we find it hard to believe our little guy is nearly 6 1/2. We spent yesterday afternoon & evening with him & his Mom for a belated Birhtday celebration... he made me a card, “ all by myself” ( with Daddy nearby to check on his spelling). We’re looking forward to having him for a couple of days/ nights here most weeks this summer.
Your trip sounds exciting... and warm! We keep getting snow about once a week, so our walking has been a bit curtailed lately; the main streets are fine, but when we walk, we often have to cross a street, & in our neighborhood, a lot of those crossings are icy, as nights are pretty cold. Enjoy that time in the sun & warmth, and rest plenty while you’re there.
I got tickled at your and SusieQ’s tub experiences..... I guess that’s when I realized how weak my legs were. But for me, it was the getting Down, not up...I’d come up with a maneuver some time before my TKR....I made sure to drape a wet washcloth over the edge, & push myself up, so I wouldn’t slip. But, boy, that first time lowering Down was a real shock! So many surprises with this recovery.
Well, have a nice trip on your way to Florida, & soak up some of that warmth, & enjoy!!
 
@Catalien45 oh my, I also have trouble getting down into the tub and I do exactly what you do with the rag. I lean my elbow/arm on the side of tub on rag to lower myself in and then also do it to hoist myself back out. It is worth it as that is the only time that my knee/leg feels no discomfort at all (when it is submerged in the hot water!). My fear in the beginning was that I was going to land hard and either break my tailbone or hip.

I am looking forward to our trip, just hoping the weather isn’t crazy. There was a bad storm last year on our way home and we had to stay with my husband’s sister in Kentucky for 2 more days. We are braced for a big storm that could have upwards of 18 inches this Wed/Thurs. just depends what happens between now and then. We could only get ice and sleet which is worse to me than the snow.
we aren’t leaving until the 11th. Will have to wait and see what happens that week with the weather. It’s only a 5 hr drive to his sister’s house and we are stopping for the weekend before heading to Gatlinburg for a couple days and then on to Florida!

6 1/2 is a fun age too! I just love being a grandma! I worked with a girl who hated getting older and she said she NEVER wanted to be a grandma. The Lord had other plans because I’ve heard she has 2 now. Lol! Never say never, LOL!

Going to try and get some things organized in my house tomorrow! Sleep tight all!
 
I visited my kids in Ohio recently. With careful planning I drove home last Monday, between snowstorms. Thankfully I was driving east of the storm coming from the west and then I turned south halfway home, with no snow predicted after that point. It was a little daunting seeing winter weather advisories for later that evening, along my route of the PA turnpike!

While Delaware doesn’t get a lot of snow, we did get about 8-9” in my area from the big storm this weekend. I used to live in Ohio and I left my love of snow at the border of Ohio and Pennsylvania, the day we moved back east!
:snow plough:
 
he made me a card, “ all by myself”
:roseshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr: So sweet!

We don't get much snow here in western WA at all, we're lucky to get it once a year, if that. The snow we had between Christmas and New Year's was good timing for me and my knee, I was recovered enough to be able to walk in it without much trouble. We might get some more this week, possibly a mix on Tues/Wed, but it's been pretty warm and won't stick much. I might have to get my warmer for my hummingbird feeder out again as temps might dip into the 20s.....
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom