Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sharon’s second knee recovery!

So sorry about your friend's passing.... :sad: Yes, have your daughter go to the doctor. Supposedly they have therapeutics now that will help when one has had Covid. My hubby still has a lingering cough after 3-4 weeks and he is a relatively healthy person and only had a mild case. Glad you got to spend time with your grandkids. You are a hero for getting up and down off the floor, that's still not easy for me at all!
 
If y’all would see me get up from the floor, you would have a good laugh for sure. Man, I am paying today, my quad muscle that bothered me for so long is screaming today!
Thanks for all the prayers! I treasure them!
 
cost of getting on the floor - alot
cost of getting up off the floor - too much
cost of spending time with grandkids on their level - priceless
:happydance:
@Sks1997, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you find comfort in sharing happy memories of Brian with others.
 
@hawk2go You are soooooo right! We know how fast this time flies by when they are little and we also know that we are both older and need to spend as much time as we can with them all while we are able. That was one of my biggest reasons for having my TKA, so that I could be active and involved in my kids and grandkids lives and also so that I can enjoy time with my husband camping, hiking and traveling! Looking so forward to summer this year as we didn’t get to camp much last year because of my knee.
 
So sorry to hear about Brian. I’ll be praying. :console2::prayer:
 
Looking so forward to summer this year as we didn’t get to camp much last year because of my knee.

You want to hear how crazy I was? I went camping at 6 weeks post-op after my first TKR. :flabber: TENT camping..... Everyone on here thought I was crazy to do it. :rotfl: It was a very short walk to the bathroom with flush toilets and I spent most of the time sitting on my camp chair with my leg propped up with my disposable ice packs. I survived! I could NEVER imagine doing that this time. I think I had youth (I was 42) and hubris on my side then.
 
Last edited:
Susie, that was funny and I can’t believe you tent camped that early in recovery. Last summer I camped 4 times and all I did was sit around in camp chairs. There was only 4 steps up into our camper and that was a challenge for me.

I have another sad Covid story. A nurse that I used to work with for several years, her husband is in hospital on vent and Drs not expecting him to make it and he isn’t even 40.
I don’t know any medical history on him or if he was vaccinated. Please pray for him and my friend and their two teenage sons.

My daughter’s Dr thinks she has “vocal cord dysfunction” which can be caused by irritants to the vocal cord or a virus (Covid). I have never heard of anyone with Covid having it. It has caused the coughing and wheezing episodes but doesn’t cause her 02 sats to go down. Nothing to do with her lungs. Constant clearing of throat also makes it worse.

praying for good sleep for all!
 
I'm sorry about your former co-worker's husband :sorry: and your daughter.......

I would have had a hard time with a camper, having to go up those steps. Everything around our camp was level and our airbed was double-high so no having to get down on the ground to sleep. That really helped.....
 
Tomorrow will be 5 months post op for me. This has been a very difficult month with so much going on in my life besides this recovery. But there have also been good things of course. I will focus on the good things related to my recovery!

1). Love that I am having periods of NOT thinking about my knee
2). Love that the popping and clicking have decreased and I actually feel like I walk normal at times. This has been major to me as the popping was causing me so much pain as the day went on. When it does pop now, I would only call it uncomfortable.
3). Love that when I rise from a chair, it isn’t excruciating any more.
4). Love that I can reposition in bed without any pain or problem with my knee/leg
5). Love that I stopped most exercises and only do my normal activities along with my recumbent bike.
6). Love that I can bend my knees up in bed without feeling like my knee will explode! That has only been in this past month.
7). Still having quad pain but not nearly as bad or often. I had it pretty bad the other day after being at my sons for 2 days.

Looking so forward to this summer and resuming our normal camping season. We tent camped for many years while raising our kids and got fed up with it after our kids were grown and now have a 35 ft glamper (my word for having all the comforts of home in my camper). Also looking forward to hiking with my husband. He hiked alone a lot last summer which isn’t safe as he is a type 1 Diabetic and goes low a lot with strenuous activity. Our kids love to camp but the older grand boys are so involved with sports that it is hard for them to make many trips now. The 3 yr old will turn 4 soon and she is looking forward to camping this summer. Her momma is a teacher so will be off for the summer and we will probably camp with them a lot.

Have a great weekend all!! Keep my daughter in your prayers as she goes to Cleveland Clinic on Monday for her MRI.
 
Last edited:
@Sks1997, I again seem to be having the same experiences as you! (I went down your list agreeing with everything you’ve written.) When you attributed your quad pain to time spent at your son’s, I could really identify. When I am on the floor with my granddaughter, it always triggers quad pain. Yesterday while sitting on the floor cleaning out cabinets in my bathroom, I got the same pain. I am assuming that my quads are weak as a result of inactivity and lack of exercise (due to bone-on-bone arthritis and then the TKR). I look forward to eventually getting back to the gym so I can strengthen them.

Your “glamping” sounds like fun! We spend time almost every summer in Colorado at my daughter and son-in-law’s cabin and I can’t wait to get back there. After skipping the 2020 trip (because of Covid) I was cabin-bound last summer due to knee pain. I’m looking forward to enjoying hikes and shopping expeditions this summer on my new knees!

You and your family have faced a lot of obstacles lately. I’m sending prayers that the future will be brighter for all of you. Fingers crossed that your daughter’s MRI looks good.
 
What a great report! I'm remembering when I first "met" you on here and you seemed to be having a lot more difficulties and pain. Things seemed to have really smoothed out for you, knee-wise.

Our last camping trip was when our old lab was still alive so probably 2018 as he died in 2019. We threw our tent away with the idea of buying a new one but with Covid in 2020 and last year planning (and paying for after with my knee) my father in law's 90th birthday party, camping was out of the question. We've got all our usual supplies, just no tent. It will be fun to take Daisy, especially if we go where there's a river and she can swim. Our old dog hated the water.

Praying that things continue to improve for you and your daughter. :praying:
 
I was just about your age Susie when we bought our first camper! We typically camp twice a monthAnd now that we are retired it is great to camp during the middle of week. After Covid happened there was a huge increase in people buying campers and camping and it is harder now to get weekend reservations.

My son does “extreme” camping, he and a buddy from Wisconsin backpack in different sections of the Appalachian Trail once a year. They usually only have a week to 10 days. That’s NOT my kind of camping for sure! My husband used to backpack and got my son started when he was just 5-6.

Yes, I have made progress thank goodness. My walking is still uncomfortable but way better than it used to be. I rarely take anything for pain now. Hoping I can walk on the beach next month when we head to FL.
I know I can walk just don’t know how long.

You have had a great recovery and you and I had our surgeries a week apart. Of course you were the one that I compared myself to when I did that.

Have a good day! Hope you get a tent and do some camping this year! Our kids have such wonderful memories from camping and now our grandkids will
 
Oh, you shouldn't compare yourself to anyone! Everyone is different, as we all know.

We really regret not getting at least a tent-trailer when our kids were younger. Our old house had a gravel parking strip and we could have parked it there and not blocked our driveway. We never did. When we were young we thought we were camping "the right way" by using a tent. As we've gotten older we realize the folly of our ways and wish we had gone the way of a tent trailer or camper. Where we live now we have HOA rules and could never park anything in the driveway and would have to pay to store it somewhere. When our kids were young our vacations were our camping trips. We'd usually go twice a summer and found the best times were Sun-Wed as weekends were hard to reserve and usually busy. Our camping turned to more "glamping" as we'd bring every luxury we could fit in our two cars. Yes, with two kids and a dog we ended up taking two cars to fit all our stuff and sometimes we'd be bringing one of the kid's friends. With our kids now grown I'm not sure how many more camping trips we will take with both of them. Our daughter still goes camping with friends and even has her own tent. Will we keep going? Only time will tell! :shrug:
 
Susie! I quit comparing after the first couple months. Didn’t need any more stress, LOL!

you mentioned one of the very things that I grew to really dislike about tent camping, the amount of “stuff” you had to take. And if you happened to have rain, you had to dry out the tent and everything inside after you got home. But once again, my kids have such great memories from all those camping trips!
 
Yes, the amount of stuff that has to be first found in the garage and then packed in the cars, unpacked, set up, repacked and cleaned up and put away! It's SO much work! And yes, if it rains the work is even more when you get home. We sure had great memories camping too. I've done so many scrapbooking pages in the kids' books!! We had an especially memorable time the last time we went. Both kids were of drinking age so we spent one whole afternoon and evening just playing games, listening to music and relaxing.
 
I hope you’re doing well! Just read your post and I understand some of the “faking pain” attitude people can have. I have some who expect me to be completely pain-free and others who assume just looking at my knee will cause me pain.
I have been frustrated with my new pharmacy (my beloved small pharmacy owners retired and sold, so I’m at a national chain now with more volume and far less staff). They don’t do “patient education” about what not to take with the Rx and/or over the counter things that must be avoided at all costs. One is that Norco contains acetaminophen (Tylenol) so when that was a pain Rx I only knew because of past instructions from my old pharmacy that one has to be careful not to take what would be an acceptable daily dose of the over the counter acetaminophen or it can cause liver damage. I’m hoping you’re safe and knew that but my conscience is making me type this out in case others read and are thinking adding full dose acetaminophen plus Norco is safe.
 
Just wanted to stop in and tell everyone that my daughter’s MRI was clear! Thanks to the Lord! We can all breathe now! And she doesn’t go back for a year which is great. She had been going every six months for a long time.
So very thankful for all your prayers!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom