Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sharon’s second knee recovery!

I hardly did any exercises at home, only at PT which was 3 times a week the first month. I stopped going to PT at just under 8 weeks post op, and the last 4 weeks I only went twice, because they totally overworked me in the pool at 4 weeks post op.
 
@Sks1997, I'm glad you're having a light fight with covid. I pray for the healing of your loved ones who are struggling.

At nearly 4 months, I continue to do my extension and flexion exercises. I have never been obsessive with any of the exercises. In the morning, I still do the 5s from another Bonesmartie - 5 ankle pumps, 5 quad sets, 5 heel slides, 5 leg lifts and 5 glute sets. These simple exercises help me understand how The Knee is feeling in the morning. If it's relatively pain-free, I continue onto my short yoga practice or my strengthening routine for both legs. If it's gonna be one of those tough knee days, I rest but may do a ride on the stay bike later in the day or even take a walk. Both of those activities feel pretty good even on a bad day. For extension, I like the one where I lie on my stomach and let the knee hang off the bed a bit. For flexion, I like the sitting heel slides. Some days my ROM is not as good as the day before and that's cool because it's a rollercoaster babeeeee!
 
How are you feeling today ? Hopefully your symptoms have passed and you can concentrate on your knee recovery xx
 
@Sara61 hello! I’ve been MIA for a few days. I only have a lingering cough now from the Covid and just very weak. I am sleeping late every morning which isn’t like me. We broke out of the house yesterday to go visit our two young grandkids. We hadn’t seen them in 2 wks and I hadn’t been out of my house in 10 days. It was so fun to see them!
Loved the pic of your porch and gardens! How beautiful and inviting! My husband built us a beautiful screened in porch this fall that looks right into our woods! Didn’t get to enjoy it this year but come Spring, we will be out there a lot! Can’t wait to sit out there in the mornings drinking my coffee and enjoying the sounds of nature.
I’ve started back very slowly on my recumbent bike.
My daughter is having a time recovering. She got put on a new inhaler and different antibiotics a couple days ago. Her second son now has Covid! Her other son tested positive but had no symptoms. This new variant is spreading like wildfire in this area.
 
Last edited:
@Sks1997 It is good to hear you are recovering but remember to take it slowly. Sleeping late every morning, I am so jealous :sleep:- it is good for you and will help you heal from Covid.
The current variant is highly infectious- the doctors practice I attend had to close completely due to it! I hope your daughter and both grandsons recover soon.
 
Happy to read you are feeling a bit better, hopefully in a few days you will recover your strength, sorry yo hear your daughter still has ongoing issues, Covid seems to be rife worldwide, now many people are getting the flu, my daughter was diagnosed with Fluorona (flu & corona) symptoms are a chesty cough and the usual fluey aches and pains, practically in London everybody has had something, I suppose living where I live, I'm fairly protected my husband takes caution and wears a mask all day whilst out at work.
Today, I decided to paint once more, my knee behaved perfectly, I sit down at the table with my knees bent, I didn't push it, and as soon as it started to twinge I stopped, I'm thrilled I am able to fo this once more, I do painting by numbers, nowadays they are so advanced and I have a home full of lovely picture, I'll attach one so you can see the quality of them.
Wishing you a continuous recovery and that hopefully you will be fit as a fiddle soon xxx
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Sharon’s second knee recovery!
    20210505_131422_copy_600x800.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Wow, that's really pretty, @Sara61 ! My daughter and I ordered a few paint by numbers back when the pandemic first took hold, almost 2 years ago now, and they took over 6 months to arrive! By then we were working on puzzles and past the painting stage. I've still got them and should try it one day. I've got a puzzle waiting for me to start as soon as I get my Christmas Decorations put away. Ugh....
 
I am irritated that walking is still so uncomfortable for me. The popping/clicking is some improved. And it doesn’t help that I don’t have my energy back from COVID. I tire out so easily doing basic housework. I guess I just need to give myself some grace! I am still early in the healing process at almost 5 months and Covid has probably set me back a little.
We are going to babysit for the first time since mid Dec. I need lots of energy tomorrow, LOL!
Hope everyone is doing well!
 
@Sks1997 You are doing great considering you have just recovered from Covid! The walking will come with time, slow and steady will do it, if it starts hurting just stop, remember your recovery isn’t a sprint its a marathon and it will take time. What helps me when walking is repeating ‘heel , toe’ it helps me focus on my foot placement and gait. I also use music to distract me from the length of time I am walking, it helps me go further.
Rest when you can and hug your grandchildren tighty:friends:
 
@Sks1997 The clicking will ease with time, my left knee was very noisy and uncomfortable at the beginning, try and focus your mind on something else, once I came to terms and actually thought of my click as my knee talking to me, I stopped noticing it, now fast forward 2 years it's still there, but only notice it with certain movements, it may ease with time or not, but gives no pain.
Covid takes a lot out of our system and leaves one feeling exhausted, let yourself heal properly. The knee will improve on its own with time, seriously I don't push myself, I rarely do any of the exercises, I'm told too, and both my knees are doing fine, importanty get yourself better xx
 
Just now reading your past few posts, and so sorry you’ve had Covid. But glad to see you are getting better. I’m not surprised that it has set you back some. Your body most likely needs that extra rest - don’t fight it. That’s one of the biggest lessons I learned from my infection & cleanout surgery. In your case and mine, our bodies were already stressed from the TKR, & then got hit again. You’re just barely getting over the Covid, so give yourself plenty of time. It’s taken a while for me, but, the past week or so, it’s much better. Do be patient with yourself. Do give yourself some grace.. And enjoy that babysitting tomorrow! .. oops! Just re-read... that would be Today! Hope it was fun. Now, rest, and enjoy your time in warm Florida. I’m keeping your family & your friends in my prayers.
 
Yes, please give yourself some grace, Sharon! Enjoy your babysitting tomorrow and please give yourself some breaks during the day.
 
This is what I've been working on today. I picked up my watercolors when recovering from my first tkr. I mostly make cards for holidays but with so much down with this revision I'm doing more. This elephant was taken from a pinterest post, not an original. Arts, crafts has always been my hobbies. I also made a potholder today with my Christmas loom I received.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Sharon’s second knee recovery!
    20220111_211611.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 134
Back home after our time with grand babies last evening and today! Loved being with them both and laughing so much at the 3 yr old. To see the world thru a 3 yr olds eyes is pretty amazing and funny! And giving the 9 mon old his bottle and watching him drift off to sleep was just priceless. What wonderful gifts from God they are!
My knee is rebelling but it will be fine tomorrow. I had one scary time when I was carrying the baby up the stairs today. I don’t even normally carry him because he is a really big baby but my husband was busy outside and I thought that I could manage. I still struggle with stairs anyway and about half way up I was wondering what the heck am I doing. I managed to make it up with him but it was hard and scary on those last few steps. Live and learn, LOL!
I am happy to be back in my own bed tonight!
I took Tylenol, Aleve and pickle juice for muscle cramps before coming to bed. I haven’t been taking many meds lately!
SLEEP TIGHT!
 
How wonderful to spend time with your grandchildren, cherish those moments - I'm sure after all your activity today - you should get a good nights sleep xx
 
Wow I am new to your thread. What a rollercoaster. I especially identify with your exhaustion re. babysitting. Three years ago my 40 year old daughter chose to have a baby by herself and, as she had just survived life threatening brain surgery, we happily supported her choice. The first year was great: she was off work and her wonderful ‘village’ and my husband and I were around to lend a hand. Luckily when Covid struck she had sold her home so they were able to move in with us. It was exhausting but the best experience. Later that year, prior to returning to work, she bought an apartment 10 minutes away from us and found a great daycare. She is a counsellor in the mental health field, so mostly works with clients online. Until Omicron they were seeing friends again and she was back teaching in-person classes at her office. Now all bets are off. Our grandson, almost 3, has upper airway issues and is prone to severe croup so she keeps a hospital bag at the ready. Both the two of them and my husband and I have been coping with constant coughs and colds acquired at daycare. She worries about infecting us if they get sick so they are currently pretty isolated as everyone is back hunkering down. And my mother is 97 and still lives independently, so we have to protect her. Our wee boy is super energetic so we do our best but we just can’t handle him for a full day: especially since my knee surgery on Dec 3. I feel so guilty that I had the surgery at this particular point in time but it was either do it now or go to the back of the line. My husband is a saint and is doing so much for me while also helping my daughter get the odd break, to do some shopping or domestics. All this means I have placed added pressure on myself to make a speedy recovery. That sort of thinking led to a painful setback from which I am only just recovering at 6 weeks. I aced a hip replacement six years ago and thought the knee might not be that bad. Huge mistake! Am slowing down and learning a lot from reading your recovery story. Thanks so much for posting.
 
@Vida. Thanks for the kind words! Those grand babies give us a run for our money for sure! Being a grandma is one of the greatest gifts of my life!

I hope my recovery story didn’t scare you to death, LOL! I have had to learn that slow and steady wins the race! And that more than once when I’ve been so discouraged and just plain tired of this recovery, that I MUST give myself grace.

It is the fine men and women on this group who keep me from becoming anxious and/or depressed while going through all the many symptoms, pain and stages of this recovery.
 
Back
Top Bottom