TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do read the thread Jo gave you on the IT Band. It will explain a lot and provide some excellent stretches for you to do. It can take a while for this to resolve itself....so be prepared for that. And don't worry....you didn't DO anything to cause the problem. It just happens sometimes.
 
Natalie,

I had bad pain from the IT band and my PT did the ultrasound treatments at 3 visits and that fixed it right up. And the Ultrasound feels really good.
 
PT did do ultrasound 2x in 2 days, and YES it has helped. The pain under my knee has gone way down. I also borrowed a Homedics massager (electric) and ran it up and down my leg 1/2 way where the IT band really was tight, she even told me to use a ROLLING PIN to run it up and down my leg, but this massager that I borrowed is really doing the trick, I put heat on the area first with a rice bag (heat in microwave) and then massage with the electric thing.
I did do a stretching exercise too.
I sure hope this works, because I was miserable, pain below the knee was getting worse.
 
Anyone ever use these massagers, think you can buy them at Bed Bath and Beyond in the states.????
 
You can use rolling pins, hard-to-semisoft balls even balls with knobs on!
There are also wooden rollers with nobbles on.
There are any number of devices - just do a Google search in images.

[Bonesmart.org] Scared but I made it!!!

[Bonesmart.org] Scared but I made it!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Scared but I made it!!!

[Bonesmart.org] Scared but I made it!!!

[Bonesmart.org] Scared but I made it!!!
 
I have a quick question. I have been working on my IT BAND on my right leg, the one that had the knee replacement.
UNDER my knee, the area is very stiff and achey. I ice, and elevate, been riding the stationary bike, (20 min), 10 weeks out from surgery today.
When will this achy feeling cease, I look so forward to being pain free...

Thanks
 
All day today, the knee ached, I am in AZ now, got here Monday for the winter. We live in ILL for the summer. It was 100 here, nice.
I am still taking tylenol, every 6 hours, still have pains running up my knee to my thigh... maybe I overdid, riding the stationary bike for 20 mintues yesterday, today I have done nothing.. will try to put some heat on it, (Rice bag)...
 
I also have had terrible leg cramps, anyone have any idea what they are from or what may be causing them?
 
grabbit97 ~

I'm sorry you are having such bad leg pain! I have it sometimes, and it can be related to exercise. I'm doing 10 minutes on the bike, which seems to be pretty good. In the morning, I try to massage my legs, especially where those pains appear. I use Vitamin E oil, and massage around the kneecap, behind the knee, and down my calves. It really seems to help with the pain.

I'm jealous that you are in AZ! Where? I live in Wisconsin, so am not looking forward to the winter AT ALL! My husband and I would move to AZ in a minute - love the heat, sun and lower humidity! I despise winter, and yesterday, someone told me that the metal part of the knee makes one colder during the winter if you live somewhere cold. I hope that's not true, because I'm cold all of the time! When I need my AZ fix, I'll have to message you!!!

I hope your pain goes away, or at least lessens... :friends:
 
How much Tylenol are you taking every 6 hours?

And have you tried taking 400mgs of ibuprofen 3 times a day as well?
 
How much Tylenol are you taking every 6 hours?

And have you tried taking 400mgs of ibuprofen 3 times a day as well?

I was taking a celebrex 200 mg in morning, and one in the evening, plus 1000 mg of tylenol every 6 hours, I wonder if the CELEBREX is causing my cramping, which goes from my buttt, down my legs in the back, and it HURTS, so I am wondering if celebrex is the cause, I stopped it today, took 2 advil 5 hours after the tylenol, I will try the advil, for a couple of days and see if that will get rid of my cramping, it hurts so bad, and I am drinking lots of water, which I also read can cause cramping, if you are not drinking enough...
THOUGHTS?
 
grabbit97 ~

I'm sorry you are having such bad leg pain! I have it sometimes, and it can be related to exercise. I'm doing 10 minutes on the bike, which seems to be pretty good. In the morning, I try to massage my legs, especially where those pains appear. I use Vitamin E oil, and massage around the kneecap, behind the knee, and down my calves. It really seems to help with the pain.

I'm jealous that you are in AZ! Where? I live in Wisconsin, so am not looking forward to the winter AT ALL! My husband and I would move to AZ in a minute - love the heat, sun and lower humidity! I despise winter, and yesterday, someone told me that the metal part of the knee makes one colder during the winter if you live somewhere cold. I hope that's not true, because I'm cold all of the time! When I need my AZ fix, I'll have to message you!!!

I hope your pain goes away, or at least lessens... :friends:


We winter in AZ .... getting here on Oct 11 until April 24, so it's nice to not have to go thru the Chicago winters... we go back and visit the grandkids, but mainly here.

I am trying what Jo recommended, Tylenol every 6 hours, with advil 400 mg 3x a day.

I sure hope these cramps go away, they hurt worse than the surgery, also drinking more water because I have read that can causing cramping if you are dehydrated??

Thanks
 
Natalie,

Cramping can be caused by a low potassium level. I had leg cramping problems before my surgery, my GP told me to eat fruit especially bananas and oranges. They are high in potassium and that seemed to do the job.
 
Natalie, you don't say what else you're doing other than 20 minutes a day on the bicycle. It may be that you need to slow up on your activity also. What you're experiencing is pain that is manifesting itself as cramps, stiffness, and aching.

If you're taking 200mg of Celebrex both morning and evening, that is a very high dosage. Normal dose is 200 mg once a day. Since both Celebrex and Advil are NSAIDs, you probably should not take both at the same time. Cramping is not considered to be a side effect of Celebrex, so you don't need to worry about that.
 
Jamie, she stopped the Celebrex
so I am wondering if celebrex is the cause, I stopped it today, took 2 advil 5 hours after the tylenol

Natalie, I think you should take three of the Tylenol doses 4 hrs apart though that means you would have to miss a spot sometime during the day. But Tylenol is only fully active for about 4 hours.
 
I am trying the advil again with the tylenol. I am doing 20 minutes 3x a week on the stationary bike, PT 2x a week, and taking it easy, just doing stretches during the day, heel pumps, heel slides on the bed..stretches on the steps..
I have taken 2 tylenol this morning at 5 am (it's now 4:00 PM), I took 2 advil at 9:30 AM, and took 2 tylenol at 3:00 PM, so I will try and take 2 more advil at about 6:00 PM, and 2 tylenol before bed. I don't take anything over night, don't wake up to take anything unless I am really hurting, I increased my water today, hoping that would help the cramps, need to buy some bananas too.
 
I am not taking celebrex AND advil together, I stopped the celebrex, and am trying just the advil and tylenol, alternating if needed... the CRAMPING is what is driving me crazy right now...
 
I am not taking celebrex AND advil together, I stopped the celebrex, and am trying just the advil and tylenol, alternating if needed... the CRAMPING is what is driving me crazy right now...

Natalie, have you tried a hot bath? I also have two hot pads in my bed. Heat seems to be my best pain reliever!
 
Jamie, she stopped the Celebrex

Oops.....missed that! Sorry.

I think the Tylenol and Advil work best if you take them at the same time....not spaced out like you're doing. You might try that. Heidi's suggestion about moist heat is good also. Your activity level doesn't sound to me like you're overdoing it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom