TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no - most good surgeons can tell when they lay hands on the knee and attempt to flex it. If it's adhesions there is a dead stop at one point but sometimes it's subtle and takes a trained eye/hand to tell.
 
I still have stiff stiff stiff below the knee, and these pains that go up the front of the leg to the groin from the knee in front...
I did walk alot in vegas, did ice when i got back to the room.
I also sat in a car for 5 hours, getting out one time to stretch. I bent my knee in the car and alot of the pain kinda went away, don't know if I broke up some of that muscle or whatever inside, there was some popping when I stretched... I was in the front passenger seat, leaned forward and to the right and stretched, and this popping occured...
Go to PT on Monday again, we shall see, waiting for this new knee to turn the corner with this pain, alot of which is in the upper thigh above the new knee, kinda by the IT BAND, which I continue to kneed and stretch.
 
Not all popping is 'scar tissue' being broken, just swelling and stiffness giving way. You seem to have survived your hike round Vegas. Well done you! :thumb: I think you should be really proud of yourself!
 
Well, after walking quite a bit, yes, I guess I did survive and did ok.
I still have alot of numbness, pain (achey) below the knee and up the leg to the groin, walked alot around scottsdale today, friends here from FLA visiting us in Arizona (same people we picked up in Las Vegas and spent 3 days with them)...
Will this achey, painy feeling in the leg ever go away? It's not really the knee, but must come from the knee and the operation???? Causing the shoooting pains in the leg up to the groin? Also lots of cramping in my lower legs, espeically in the morning (eating a banana hoping that helps)... all these aches, sheeeez... never had them before, other than the piercing pain in my leg from my knee before surgery... but never had the stomach pains, lower abdomen, lots of trapped gas, causing the pains, and the shooting pains up my leg, WOW and I complaining.....
 
Natalie.....you are only a couple of months out from your surgery. You must keep this in mind when you feel like you are still not back to normal. Most people don't feel they are "normal" again until around the 6-month mark. I know that may not be what you want to hear, but it does tend to be true in most cases.

If you want to resume the level of activity you are describing (lots of walking), you're going to need to expect some of these aches and pains. The best you can do to ease them is to continue to ice and elevate as much as possible, rest when you can, and take something (even over-the counter meds) for pain and inflammation.

When I was at your stage, for example....I was still pretty much at home except for VERY short trips out maybe once a week. And....I was still on my prescription pain meds! So....patience, patience and more patience is important!
 
Sounds like you just did too much Natalie. Hope you can get some rest and get that icing done. I know it's hard to be patient - especially when you want to do things with friends. But all this just takes time.
 
Thank you all for your input. I am frustrated...
I am going to try and golf today, won't do 18 holes, will sit out some, but want to try..
I am still taking 1 tylenol and 1 advil every 3 hours (instead of 2 of each every 6), this seems to be working ok for me.
I have not taken the celebrex in a week, think the advil/tylenol thing is working better for me, not exceeding the 4000 mg limit of course per day.
 
I golfed 18 holes today, it was a par 3 type exec course, some 360 yard holes, par 4's, but I did it, it felt good to do the golf thing again, now I just have to get back on my bike outside, and I will have come full circuit.
the knee is SORE tonight, I iced, and elevated several times, and will take 2 tylenol and 2 advil before bed.
Now if this achey numby pain would stop, we would all (me and the knee) be happy!!!
 
Congratulations on getting out there and golfing! It sounds as if you did pretty well, even if your knee is sore now. That's usually how it is - do too much = pain! But it does get better and better as time goes on.

Now on to biking.... !
 
Re: Greda's PKR recovery

Has anyone had CRAMPING in the morning? I have it in both of my legs, terrible, until I get moving, mid morning... they have suggested drinking more water, magnesium oxide pills, eating a banana... anyone have this problem?
ALSO
Shooting pains from top of knee up my thigh in front to groin, seems I have gas pains, don't know why....
Problems did not exist before surgery..


 
Natalie, I moved your post to your recovery thread so that any responses would not derail Greda's.

What you are feeling is a form of pain that comes when you are still early in recovery like you are. When you stay in one place for an extended period of time at night, it's common to feel this way when you get up.

You can try taking some pain medication in the morning, using ice while you sleep, or just keep doing what you're doing and give yourself time for it to resolve itself. It will.

Are you taking any NSAIDs? They can cause stomach discomfort sometimes.
 
Yes, I am taking ADVIL every 3 hours, (1), and 2 at bedtime to total 800 mg a day, along with 1 tylenol every 3 hours, and 2 at bedtime.
I am posting IN MY THREAD, I think, thought this was mine, in the recovery area, now I am confused, where do I post? Should I start a new thread?
 
This IS your thread and it's where you should post questions and updates. Your post above ended up in Greda's recovery thread and I moved it here for you. Don't worry.....that happens sometimes.

If the stomach discomfort continues, you could try switching to 2 Aleve a day plus the Tylenol to see if it makes any difference. Be sure you are taking the Advil or whatever you take with a little bit of food....a cracker or two is good enough.
 
Wondering if I should go back to celebrex. I have been having terrible gas and abdominal pain. Alieve did nothing for me when I took it before. I suppose I could try it again along with one tylenol every 3 hours. I would have to take 2 more alieve at night about 10 hours after first dose. I still have alot of discomfort....pains in my thigh, alot of gas...does advil cause gas??????
 
With Aleve, you are only supposed to take one pill every 12 hours. The only time you should take 2 is with the initial dose when you first start taking it.

Advil can cause constipation, so it could contribute to a "gassy" feeling. How are your bowel movements? Maybe you need to up your fiber and water a bit.
 
I have taken 2 before ....I took advil at 5:00. Can I take alieve 5 hours later????
 
I can take 2 alieve, one does nothing for me...I don't know what to do about these pains..worse than the knee...but still need pain pills for awhile
I really think the advil is causing severe abdominal cramps.
Gas abound.
 
Natalie.....the Advil is good for about 4 hours, so it is okay to take Aleve five hours after. But....taking two Aleve twice a day is not a recommended dose and you should not do that without discussing it with your doctor. NSAIDs (that includes both Aleve and Advil) can cause severe stomach problems if overdone and you need to be careful.

NSAIDs are not really adequate for pain medication anyway. That is what Tylenol (a 1000mg dose) is for.
 
Natalie, reading back over your posts for the last couple of days, I'm thinking you may be doing too much activity for just a little over 2 months out. Plus, you also may be undermedicated for pain.

I suggest that you take about 5 days and greatly reduce your activity. Ice, and elevate as you rest. Go back to your prescription pain meds and see if that helps. If you don't want to use prescription pain meds, take 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000mg) and 400mg of Advil every 4-6 hours. You can take up to 4 doses of this Tylenol and Advil in a 24 hour period, so space them according to your needs throughout the day and night.

If at the end of the five day period, things haven't settled, I will be really surprised.
 
I went back to celebrex today, trying that with 1 tylenol every 3 hours. I had severe cramps in my calves again this morning and terrible shooting pains in my TKR leg from the knee up the front to the groin again.
I am not really doing that much activity. Yesterday I had PT in the morning, at the end of the session, he put the tens on and iced for 15 min.
I sat and played bridge in the afternoon, no other activity, terrible cramping in my abdomen, so STOPPED advil yesterday, took 2 tylenol last night with my ambien.
These cramps in my calves in the morning are terrible, I wonder if I should start taking vitamin E and the magnesium oxide again (doctor prescribed 2, 1 am and 1 pm (magox is the over the counter name).. I stopped taking them, didn't think they were doing anything.
I am so puzzled, more pain from the cramping, and shooting pains up the thigh to the groin than pain from my knee.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom