Guest viewing is limited

TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh....I would start with 3-4 prunes. If you don't get results by later in the day, I would try another couple of them in the evening. You do need to be a little careful (as in, don't eat the whole bag at once) because it can cause a rather "explosive" experience. You won't hurt yourself by eating too many....you just might need to be near the bathroom for a while.

Once you begin to get regular again, you can search for that right number to eat each morning. Stay on them as long as you're on the prescription pain meds. You might even want to continue them when using NSAIDs, as they also can cause some constipation.
 
I'm not a big fan of prunes, but I do like those Mediterranean apricots you can buy in the packets. maybe sunmaid brand?

I had a lot of muscle pains for about a month after my tkr. Those made me more uncomfortable than the knee. Probably from all the moving around of the leg they did. I did use a heating pad (not near the knee itself) and that did seem to help relax the muscles.
 
Thanks for the response, I am going to try more water and more moving around. I walked around the block #x today, iced and then fell asleep.
 
eRe: Scared but I made it!!!

Today I had a terrible day let me explain what happened. This morning I started Voltaren. I am not takng celebrex anymore. I have also increased the metamucil to 4 caplets a day per doctor. Today I had terrible cramps and have been in the bathroom most of the day. Not diarrhea, just going alot. Not sure what the cause is, will try to cut the metamucil tomorrow and take the voltaren tmorrow. .one of the worse days I have had since the surgery.
Any help will be appreciated.
I did not take the tramadol today. Just took 1 tylenol every 4 hours and have to say the voltaren did reduce the pain all.
 
eRe: Scared but I made it!!!

It was a typo, I was trying to type on my TABLET, and it got all goofed up, sorry for the post, I tried to delete.
 
Natalie, what on earth does that last post mean?
What is " lvoelol kvoltarinaren"?
And 'due to death'?

:what: :hate-shocked:
 
Has anyone had experience taking VOLTAREN, it's been around for years, cousin to advil and alieve.. take every 12 hours, slow release tablet. They took me off of celebrex, and put me on this pill for inflamation.. yesterday I had TERRIBLE cramping, don't know if it's because of the FOUR metamucil capsules I took (upped it from 2 to 4) to help with constipation. I took myself off of tramadol, and trying just tylenol.
If you have taken VOLTAREN, please let me know, did you have any side effects?
Thank you
 
Natalie, I'm not a fan of prunes either. I bought the orange and cherry ones Jamie suggested and they are better. I also bought prune juice, which I am not at all fond of. I put a glass in the freezer for a few hours then also pour the refrigerated prune juice over ice and drink it down real fast. It is more palatable that way. This has worked real well for me in the past when I needed something.
 
Natalie ~

I took Voltaren for a period of time prior to my PKR. I found it to be more helpful that the other medications that are in the same family of drugs (ibuprofen, Aleve, etc.). I do know that doctors tend not to want a patient to use it long term because of the same types of side effects that the others have such as stomach ulcers, but I used it for about 6 months intermittently and about 3 months regularly without any problem. It's always a good idea to take it with food to lessen the likelihood of any stomach problem.

I would think that the tummy troubles could certainly be from the "plumbing" kicking in with the help of the Metamucil. Hopefully things have "passed" :th_heehee:, and you're feeling better now!
 
I have taken volteran (diclofenac) for years and never had that side effect. I would guess it is the metamucil Natalie.

Hope you feel better soon.
 
You can also mix prune juice with another juice if it's too "pruny" for you. ;)

hope you get on an even keel soon, grabbit.
 
Diclofenac is great and has very little issues re side effects.
 
Diclofenac is great and has very little issues re side effects.

Thanks Jo
I took 4 prunes about an hour ago hoping that it will help me with the plumbing problems. Also have a call in to the doctor.
I took the Voltaren after breakfast on a full stomach...so far OK.....but no potty activity.
Thanks for everyone's input.
 
I feel like the cramping you experienced as well as all the "going" may be the result of having things backed up for a while. I bet it will level out for you here soon. You will need to continue with stool softeners as long as you are on prescription pain meds.
 
I feel like the cramping you experienced as well as all the "going" may be the result of having things backed up for a while. I bet it will level out for you here soon. You will need to continue with stool softeners as long as you are on prescription pain meds.

Yes, I know that I have to continue the stool softener...I did stop the metamucil, have a call in to the doctor, and ate 4 prunes this afternoon.
The only drugs I am taking for pain now are Voltaren and Tylenol.
I am going to try the Ambien again tonight, I take it every night, but the past 3 nights, it's not working, I thrashed around all night last night, 3 hours sleep.. hope the doctor has some suggestions... no sleep is not fun, and I try and lay down, and can't take a nap, this is a first for me, since surgery, I have napped every afternoon, and good sleep at night.
Is it the VOLTAREN???
 
No, it's not likely associated with the Voltaren. Remember sleep problems are quite common following any major surgery and yours was not quite 2 months ago. This can be a problem for some time, but it will resolve itself with time. Try to relax and not worry about it. Nap when you can, but if you can't just spend time lying down and resting. That's almost as good.
 
I am 1 week ahead of you, I think! I still have to take Vicodin before bed and most nights are non-eventful. I still have nights where my leg aches even with meds before bed, especially when I have been more active. I am thinking it has something to do with not moving them around as much. That seems to be when I have leg cramps. Though I'm not on Voltaren at this time, I have taken it in the past and never had sleep issues. Maybe, consider using pain meds at night for a little longer???
 
I am 1 week ahead of you, I think! I still have to take Vicodin before bed and most nights are non-eventful. I still have nights where my leg aches even with meds before bed, especially when I have been more active. I am thinking it has something to do with not moving them around as much. That seems to be when I have leg cramps. Though I'm not on Voltaren at this time, I have taken it in the past and never had sleep issues. Maybe, consider using pain meds at night for a little longer???

I think maybe my non sleep problems might be due to the fact that I am not on Tramadol anymore, which may have made me drousy along with the ambien at night. I am only taking Tylenol 500 mg (2) of them 4x a day, along with the Voltaren 2x a day (morning and evening).. and that is really taking care of any pain I have...SO, could it be that I am not taking PAIN pills persay...no norco, no tramadol, just tylenol which does not make you drowsy, cuz when I was on them I had NO trouble falling asleep (with a whole 10 mg ambien)???
Thanks for replies..
>>>> adding,
I am thinking of trying LUNESTA, the 1 mg pill (comes in 2mg and 3 mg)
Anyone been on this sleeping aid?
thanks
 
I got some Lunesta 2mg from the doctor to try, can't take the not sleeping, now in the 6th night.. I cut the pill in 1/2, taking only 1mg, hoping it will work. The ambien stopped working...when I went off the pain pills.

I had a good day yesterday, but learned the power of overdoing...
I walked around the block 2x, then went to a department store, walked all over the store, then went to Walmart and walked all around that store, got home and realized that even tho I felt well, I overdid it... paid for it ... iced and elevated for an hour...
Took 2 tylenol along with the Voltaren last night.

Today I was a bit sore, didn't do much... had pt at 6:30 and came home and iced/elevated for 30 minutes.

Have a good evening..
 
Wouldn't it be nice if a warning buzzer would go off at the point where we are doing too much? Unfortunately, that does not happen and we do not know that we did too much until later on when we swell and hurt. Ice and elevation are still my friends!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom