TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have these RICE BAGS that you put in the microwave, I have been putting that ON MY KNEE when it hurts, seems to work better than the ice.

Take tylenol AND advil at the same time? Should I take ONE of each every 4 hours?

A thought..... I need to get some bananas for the leg cramping too, but wish that this numbing aching in my knee would go away,
 
Yes....take the Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Advil (ibuprofen) at the same time. It's the two together that work exceptionally well. The tylenol is primarily for pain and the Advil is primarily for inflammation. Each lasts about 4 hours, so when you take them at different times, you don't get the benefit of them working together.

Just be sure that you don't go over the maximum dosage in a 24-hour period.....4000mg of the Tylenol and 3200mg of the Advil.
 
Another thought, Natalie.....if your knee still has a constant ache, that is pain. If the Tylenol/Advil combination doesn't work, you need to take something stronger and probably should consider going back on prescription pain meds for a while.

It is not unusual to take prescription pain meds for 3 months or more. I took mine for just about 3 months following my TKR (hydrocodone and then Darvoset).
 
Yes....take the Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Advil (ibuprofen) at the same time. It's the two together that work exceptionally well. The tylenol is primarily for pain and the Advil is primarily for inflammation. Each lasts about 4 hours, so when you take them at different times, you don't get the benefit of them working together.

Just be sure that you don't go over the maximum dosage in a 24-hour period.....4000mg of the Tylenol and 3200mg of the Advil.

OK, tomorrow I will try to take 1 of each every 4 hours.. and see how that does... if not, I'll try going back on the celebrex, with the tylenol, so TOMORROW is 1 of each every for hours...
GOT IT,
Terrible pains tonight running along outer leg, probably IT BAND, I start PT again out here in AZ tomorrow, maybe they have some suggestions.

Thanks
 
.... so TOMORROW is 1 of each every for hours...
GOT IT,

Actually, each dose would be TWO Extra Strength Tylenol (500mg each for a total of 1000mg) plus 400-800mg of Advil (or any ibuprofen product). You can safely take FOUR of these dosages in any 24 hour period. Just wanted to be sure you are clear on the dosage. I do hope it helps you. If not, then I think you're right to go back to the Celebrex and Tylenol....especially if it works! You need to find a solution for thie pain....but YOU know that!
 
Yes, a proper dose of Tylenol is 1,000mg. To take less is a waste of time.
The ibuprofen you can take from 200-800mgs per dose but watch that daily maximum.
Have your calculator on hand! :snork:
 
ok, in 1/2 hour I am going to take 2 tylenol and 2 advil...
Will take again at 7 pm, and again before I go to bed.
Will try that, or I will go back to the celebrex tomorrow.

Thank you
 
Natalie.....I do think you need to give it more than one day to turn the tide for you. Two or three days would be better.
 
Natalie.....I do think you need to give it more than one day to turn the tide for you. Two or three days would be better.

Will try for a couple of days to see if it helps. Went to a new PT today out in AZ and he massage and manipulated the actual knee to loosen the muscles, he measured before warmed up, 103, I was 110 when I left ILLINOIS, but that was after warm up. He told me to keep riding the stationary bike and doing stretches til I see him again. They did ultrasound, and then put the TENS on with ice after for 15 mintues, will see how it is tonight, just took 2 tylenol and 2 advil.
 
I have been taking the advil and tylenol every 6 hours, and it seems to do the trick.

My question this time, I have been having shooting pains from my knee to my groin area in front. This along with very numb achey feelings all below my knee are becoming very annoying, how long does this go on? Will this ever stop...

I go to PT again today, he massaged the whole knee, around the knee cap,, says I have lots of tissue that is tight????

Anyone exerience these feelings?
 
I'm glad to know the Tylenol and Advil combination is working for you. As for the pain you're having, it's pretty common to have this type of thing for months after your surgery. At slightly more than 2 months out, you are still in the early stages of recovery. Most people don't report that they start to feel normal again until about 6 months out. Be sure you are not doing more activity than you should right now, ice and elevate frequently along with taking those pain meds on your current schedule.

Your PT's reference to "tight tissue" means you have swelling. Ice, elevation, and pain meds will help with that....as will not overdoing your activity.
 
Going to Las Vegas on Wednesday, guess I will have to take it easy with the walking... will try and sit where I can.

I am taking along some exercises that the PT gave me that I can do in the hotel room, along with my tennis ball that I am rolling along the IT band. Will also take my portable ice bag, it's rubber, and the hotel has ice, I can fill the bag and ice the knee.

Thanks for the feedback, it's just so frustrating, I want this pain to go away, so I can get on with my life....
 
Have fun in Las Vegas! The casinos provide plenty of places to sit. I bet you could elevate your leg in the space between slot machines and they would probably fill your ice bag for you if you play! Good luck!
 
Hey that is a good idea Heidi, elevate and ice while I WIN big at the casinos!!!
I am going to wear my gym shoes, and try to do some walking while we are there.. probably drive to most places.
I am also going to try and golf on Sunday for the first time since June 26. Exciting week.

Pain is a bit less today, PT yesterday they slammed my knee, the guy manipulated, and pushed and pulled, claimed the knee had alot of tissue that was scarring, and needed loosening.
 
Well, I always wondered who it was that won at the casinos. Now I know it's you! Have fun! The idea of golf is scary to me. That whole torque thing with the swing seems like it might hurt. I've heard of a lot of people golfing after TKR, though. Let us know how it went.
 
Actually, it felt a bit better today. After all that pushing and pulling, poor knee, it hurt so bad when he was doing it, I screamed STOP.. but apparently there is some tissue that is starting to scar, and it needed breaking up... he also gave me some exercises to do while I am gone to Las Vegas, we will be walking, so I don't want to overdo...
thanks for concern KneedKnees...
 
Anytime, Natalie!

Make sure you ice, elevate and rest lots while in Las Vegas! It will be easy to overdo, and usually you don't know you are until you're in pain! Don't be afraid to use your pain meds either!

Jamie or Jo ~ Is it true that if there is scar tissue building up, that bending the knee severly will break it up? Or is that something we've "passed on" that is incorrect? I'm thinking it is a truth, since there are MUAs. Isn't that basically what they're doing during that procedure? :feedback:
 
Of course it is true. But it's often difficult for the patient to distinguish between stiffness caused by adhesions and that caused by swelling and pain. The latter can be every bit as pernicious as the former.
 
What is the deciding factor, then? Is there a way to tell if it is scar tissue, or "just" swelling and pain? Is there a way to "diagnose" which it is - medically, or is it just a "guess" on the part of the doctor?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom