Guest viewing is limited

TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^I know it's frustrating to hear, but as I learned, 4 weeks is early in the process. :( Remember that it's not just your bones that are affected by the procedure. I had some weird pains too, but they did gradually go away. Really.
 
Are you taking your pain meds regularly Natalie? Icing and elevating? It is still early days. You are still healing. Have a read in this thread again How long does healing take...

Yes there will be a time when you are pain free. Meanwhile stay ahead of the pain so that you can get more mobile. :thumb:
 
At four weeks, you are still recovering from the surgery---remember what was done to you in the surgical theater. your body is now putting the pieces of the puzzle back together, so you will have intermittent pain in a variety of places as your body goes through the healing process.

Yes, indeed---the pain will subside, but at four weeks, while it seems like a long time---it is still very early in the healing/recovery process. The incision maybe tender for a while---as Josephine says, do not baby it---things will get better.

Patience is necessary---this isn't just a "scope." They sawed off parts of two leg bones and thumped you around pretty darn good while you were under; these things take serious time to heal---four months is the minimum---up to a year for some to feel normal. You are early yet in the voyage to total recovery.
 
I keep forgetting I am just 4 weeks yesterday. I have to be more patient. Yes, I am taking 1 tramadol and 1 500mg tylenol every 4 hours..no more Norco, it caused me to much trouble. I also take a celebrex in the morning, and one in the evening.
Today was not a nice day for my knee, I am icing now.....
 
Take 2 Tylenol and 2 Tramadol every 4 hours. That is the standard dose, you know.
One of each is a very low dose - especially for 4 weeks.
I took 2 Tylenol and 3 Tramadol many times! (with doctor's permission)
 
Take 2 Tylenol and 2 Tramadol every 4 hours. That is the standard dose, you know.
One of each is a very low dose - especially for 4 weeks.
I took 2 Tylenol and 3 Tramadol many times! (with doctor's permission)

I am taking the 500 mg tylenol, and if I took 2 every 4 hours, I would the limit of 4000 mg a day.... I am taking the celebrex morning and evening and that is helping alot...are you talking about the 325mg tylenol? I am glad I cut out the NORCO, I want to drive starting a week from Monday. I also can't wait to get rid of these TED hose... I am not wearing them at night anymore, doc says as long as I am active, don't have to, and to wear them for 5 weeks... I am on the last week, YEAHHHHH!
 
Obviously you take it only 4 times a day, not 5! Or a couple of times just take one. Simple mathematics!!!
 
After TKR it is so normal to have odd aches and pains all over your leg. They may stay in one spot. They may come and go. Mine moved around quite a bit from below the kneecap down to my shin. In my case it was swelling finding whatever place was available to go to.

Just keep up your program of icing, elevating, resting and taking pain meds on a schedule...even over the counter ones can help. It will resolve with some time....
 
Yesterday I had weird pains below my knee cap after PT, I came home and iced just with the pea bag on that spot several times during the day. I also used the ice machine for an hour. After awhile, the pain did go away, but I wound up having to take 2 tramadol and one tylenol, (been taking just 1 of each every 4 hours and it has sufficed)... I took the 2 Tramadol/1tylenol several times yesterday, and today the "aches and pains" seem to be better... I see what you are talking about pains come and go all over the leg, some of mine shoot up the leg into the groin area.. others go down to my ankle at times.
hope in the future, this will all cease and I will be pain free, getting off all these meds...
On an exciting note, I DROVE last night, yeah, I am FREE!!! Don't have to rely on someone anymore..

 
I had the same pains....for quite a while, actually. But they should go away just fine eventually. You handled the situation perfectly! Rest, ice and some pain meds.
 
A small spot on my incision broke open, don't know why...I go to the OS tomorrow for six week checkup. Has anyone had this happen?
Could it be from PT pushing and pulling or from starting to drive or I rode the stationary bike for 5 min yesterday for first time able to get the peddle to go round.
 
Natalie, this happens sometimes. Is there any drainage? Please don't worry about it. It's good your OS can have a look tomorrow.
 
Good for you! Just like the others said, rest and sleep whenever you can and it helps with your healing. Your recovery has now begun and you can be glad of that! Martha
 
grabbit97 ~

I had surgery on day after you, and am experiencing some of the same pains. Sometimes more after PT, with all of the stretching and bending that we do. I too, ice and elevate.

I'm glad you're going to your OS and he can check on your incision opening. My 6 week visit is tomorrow as well! I'm wondering if they'll x-ray to see how the "bionic" parts look. I'd like to see what's in there now! :wink1:

Hoping for good things coming - incision being okay - less pain - and someday NO PAIN!!! :yahoo:
 
Yes, hoping that the incision passes mustard.. it's scabed again./
I am hoping sooner than later this pain stops, today I had stabbing pains below my knee and doubled the tramadol with one tylenol every 4 hours, iced for almost an hour (elevated too)...
I am just getting tired of the pain... very tired...
I am only having PT 2x this week, instead of 3x.

 
Those stabbing pains will go away---all part of what is to be expected after such surgical trauma. Many of us had those or "zingers"---the body is healing and the soft tissue is re-connecting, and the nerves are regrouping, too.
 
Hi Grabbit,

You are so early in the process, and I am afraid that the pain comes and goes through the journey you have to make.

I was the opposite, had next to nothing happen for the first 4.5 months, and then all hell broke loose and I had problems with tightness, stiffness, pain, you name it. It is such a different recovery for any one of us, some sail through, and some have continuous problems, but I am a year after TKR now, and life is good.

It takes a while, but it is certainly worth the ride, even though you feel like crying now, it will pass, and you will be back on track in no time. Its such major surgery that our expectations are not set correctly before the op, and sleep seems to be one of the biggest problems after, so hang in there, keep reading and posting, icing and elevating, and we will all be there to try to reassure you and cheer you up, having all been down the same road, but it definitely does lead to a better and painfree life somewhere down the line :yes 4:
The biggest thing to learn is "PATIENCE"!!
 
Congrats on driving! Independence is such a good feeling. Week 4 was frustrating for me but 3 weeks later I can say it does improve. Hang in there. I still have odd pains now and then and some days I have more swelling then other days. Hang in there! You'll start seeing things change very soon!
 
Saw the OS today, 6 week check....golly, has it been 6 weeks, where does time go?? He said all was great, incision looks good, and said the little area that split is nothing to worry about. SaidI could start golfing again, my knee will determine how much to do. Said I could start rubbing lotion, vitamin e into incision....(WHICH ONE DO YOU USE???)
Said all looks great....That made me happy!!!
 
Natalie....so glad you had a good report. However, I don't agree about the Vitamin E oil and lotion. You should not be using either until your incision is completely healed. And frankly, neither is required to help the scar heal better.....your body takes care of that on its own.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom