TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to ask the PA. About the lotion on the incision. I go again in # weeks.
Golly, sure feels better with the staples out, much less pain. Am I imagining or is this real after getting staples out?
 
It's real. And it's Steristrips, not "stairy strips" :snork:

And you really don't need to rub any lotions or potions on your wound. It will heal just fine all on its own.
This is a recent fad which is totally unnecessary.
 
Josephine,
Thanks for the spelling correction... steristrip does look better than stairy (oops)...
So it's a fad?? She sure worked hard to make sure the whole incision was covered and now they are peeling off so I am kinda taping them back on with paper tape for a couple of days.. or I don't need to do that? took my first shower with them on this morning.. but my pants rub and they are starting to come off because of that..

 
Nooo, no.....Jo meant the "rubbing lotion on a scar" was a bit of a fad for some time. The Steristrips are an excellent way to hold a wound together. But don't worry about them if they pop off. It's not like your incision is going to pop open without them on. They just protect it for a while.
 
I edited my post to make it clearer. It was very open to misinterpretation. Sorry about that, Natalie!

(but I knew what I meant! :wink1: :snork:)
 
Here in Illinois we are going to have a gorgeous weekend because of the effects of IRENE, I hope that all of you that are on the east coast take care, and are not harmed by this awful hurricane.
I am still the same weight, for the most part...I am eating carbs, but usually not for dinner, just for breakfast and lunch, sometimes not for lunch.. but I would like to lose another 10 pounds, right now focusing more on my recovery from the knee surgery... I have lost 26 pounds since March.. hoping that would help the knee surgery.
I walked around the block with just the cane last night, it worked great, altho had hubby with me, just in case, did not want to do it by myself..
I will wait on the LOTION until the steristrips fall off... I guess you are suppose to find some lotion with E in it?
I have been taping the steristrips with paper tape, as I didn't want them to fall off right after she put them on... my capris kinda rub them, and I am not a shorts person!
 
Cocoa Butter with vitamin E was suggested to me. I found a jar of Palmer's brand at my Walgreens. whether it helps with the scar or not, it is moisturizing and since I have pretty dry skin I figure it couldn't hurt.:wink1: I think the theory with the massage is that it helps the scar (particularly on the quad area) from staying kind of raised after it heals.
 
Another question, after the steri strips fall off, it's sensitive, the incision, what can I use to cover it lightly so my pants/capri's won't rub against it while it's healing? I have some ABD pads, can I cut them into strips, and lightly tape them??
Thanks
 
Thanks for the input... the steristrips are falling off, I keep taping them!!!
 
Hi Natalie, what you are feeling is perfectly normal, once the meds wear off a bit, the pain steps up a bit, but as I was told by the gurus on this site, you should never need to be in pain, just need to get the pain meds sorted and taken regularly enough to prevent it.

You may find that sleep becomes a problem too, its a very common element of this recovery, and if you read the threads on here something that most of us have gone through. Thats why this site is so important to the likes of you and I, at least in the middle of the night when sleep is not an option, come on to BS and there is always someone about to chat to, to catch up with others in the same situation, or just to vent steam and have someone commiserate with you. We have all been there, done that, and come through, you will too.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, and don't forget to rest, ice and elevate.:thumb:
 
I noticed that the incision (now that I have the staples out) is tender to the touch, is this normal? There are a couple of spots that are real tender.. no weeping or oozing.. just real tender? Anything I can do?
 
Welcome Natalie. It will get better each day.:sleepz: Try to rest.
Actually I am not new here, this is the thread that I started after surgery "on the other side"!!!
Thanks
 
Of course it will be tender to the touch---any incision that is that deep is going to be "ouchie" for a while.

Not really much you can do other than leave it alone and don't bump it. It is all part of your body's healing process.

Relax and let your body do its stuff.
 
Tim is right!!! It's expected that your knee area is going to have some "tender moments" for quite a while. Very, very normal.
 
the steristrips are falling off, I keep taping them!!!
Don't tape them back, take them off!
I noticed that the incision (now that I have the staples out) is tender to the touch, is this normal? There are a couple of spots that are real tender.. no weeping or oozing.. just real tender? Anything I can do?
Not a lot. They will acclimatise in time. Try not to 'baby' them.
 
Had a bad day yesterday, lots of back pains and abdominal, don't know whether it was gas, or constipation, not good, I was up until about 3 am, then I guess I fell asleep and I did not wake up until 6:30, when I took my pain meds, so I went from 11:30 last night until 6:30 in the morning with out taking pills, perhaps I took to many, I don't know.

I walked over to the clubhouse yesterday, rode the nustep (kinda like a stepper recumbant bike), for 20 mintues, then walked back to the house.. perhaps I overdid? Who knows..

Anyway, weighed in this morning, same weight I have been, no loss no gain, will have to start trying again when I am feeling a bit better..

So you got lots of rain on the east coast? Hope no flooding...
 
I have a question that I am sure has been asked a million times, I am four weeks out post op, and still seem to have pain, in all different places on the surgery leg... inner thigh 2 days ago, today bad pains in my shin and above the knee in the thigh area...(quads).. I had to take an extra tramadol & tylenol.
How long does this go on... is there a time when I will be pain free, sometimes having shooting pains up to the groin area.. weird places...
Thank you....
 
Look at this chart - perhaps it will help Chart representation of TKR recovery

But this is still such very early days! Gosh, you didn't really expect it to be pain free by now, did you?
And I was taking pain meds for 3 full months as were a lot of other people on here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom