TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natalie:

My leg did not swell up until almost one week post surgery and then, WOW, did it swell (see attached photos of the discoloration). I gained ten pounds due to all of the liquid my body was retaining as a result of the swelling (I have since lost it). By all means keep icing AND elevating, you will stay ahead of the game that way. I have had to wait for the swelling to subside before really being able to work range of motion.

It sounds like you are doing great! Even "big chickens" get through this just fine. You are well on your way. :thumb:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Scared but I made it!!!
    knee.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 208
  • [Bonesmart.org] Scared but I made it!!!
    thigh.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 205
The knee is doing good. I am icing after Pt and in the evening. PT is at 9 and 1, then I ice. No swelling to speak of, main problem is constipation. They just gave me miralax and milk o magnesia. Hopefully this will help. Its from the Norco every 4 hours, taking 2 Norco. Also on 1 celebrex in the morning.
Trying to figure out a combo to get off some of the Norco.
Natalie
 
Extension and Flexion

My last day of rehab was today, in house PT 2x a day has come to an end. I go home from rehab tomorrow, and wanted to now about ROM and Extension.
They measured me and said that ROM was 96, and extension was -3.
Is this good after. 13 days out from surgery (Aug 4)?
Thanks
 
Re: Extension and Flexion

Yes, Natalie....that is excellent. You're doing very well.
 
Indeed you are.


Natalie, I have added these posts to your original recovery thread. Please don't keep starting new threads as it's then difficult for us to keep track of what's gone before. Thanks.
 
I am home from rehab..and glad to be home. I look forward to outpatient therapy starting tomorrow. I iced the knee this morning, and am icing it now while I type this note. I took the day off from exercises as I was on my feet all and didn't want to overdo it. I had an experience this morning before going home.
The nurse forgot to give me my Norco at 8:00 am and by 9:00 I was in such pain...I did not realize how much pain there was and how much I need the pain meds probably for some time to come. Yikes!!!!!
I will make sure that I take my pain meds before PT.
 
Sorry you had to hurt, but I guess we won't be worried about you trying to get off your pain meds too soon!:th_heehee:

Proper pain management really does make a difference with recovery, so I htink you are very wise. You're going to do just fine.
 
Welcome home Natalie.

Your experience with the pain meds highlights why we always suggest staying ahead of the pain. By the time you start hurting it's actually too late. Keep taking the meds regularly for now. It will help you increase your mobility.
 
I have a question about pain.. I seem to be having alot of shooting pains from the knee to my groin area.. is this normal, or abnormal, or can be expected...I am trying to wean off Norco, but still find it necessary before PT, and at night with the ambien to sleep..
The knee seems to be numb in spots, like a band around it, numb.. is this too expected or "normal".. thanks ..
 
I am trying to wean off Norco, but still find it necessary before PT, and at night with the ambien to sleep..


You have answered your own question Natalie. Please reread my post from August 18th. It is important to stay ahead of the pain so that you can get mobile. You are just out of major surgery. Don't worry about taking pain meds yet.

The knee seems to be numb in spots, like a band around it, numb.. is this too expected or "normal"..

Lots of knee Smarties report this same feeling. Early days yet. Just give it some time and add ice, elevation and rest.
 
I am due to get my staples out in 2 hours, does it hurt? I am such a whimp when it comes to pain.. guess I will take some norco before I go...
Thanks for all the help.
 
Didn't hurt me at all. Just a couple of tugging sensations.

Staples out = major milestone! :dancy:
 
Mine was just a bit pinchy, but I wouldn't say actual pain.
 
After 5 1/2 weeks my knee is still numb. Don't seem to be having the shooting pains but more like aching in my legs as if they're really tired! Good luck. x
 
ok, got the staples out....not so bad, pinched a bit, stung for about 10 minutes, but that went away.....all in all, not bad. They put stairy strips all down the incision, covered the whoe thing, some already came off or are loose because of my pants. Guess when they are completely off, I am done covering it.
When can I start rubbing lotion on the incision?
 
The nurse forgot to give me my Norco at 8:00 am and by 9:00 I was in such pain...I did not realize how much pain there was and how much I need the pain meds probably for some time to come. Yikes!!!!!
I will make sure that I take my pain meds before PT.

Yes, please do not try to be a hero and do without the pain meds. That is what they are there for...use them.

That numbness will hang around for a while. My knees now have lost that numbness, but they were "sleepy" all over for a while---they had no sense of feeling when you touched them with something. Many people have also reported something a like a band around the knee, too.

As for rubbing lotion on the knee, I would not do that until the entire incision is closed up---better to wait and not rush things rather than risk an infection.
 
Tim is soooo right! Hold off on that lotion for quite a while. It's not necessary and could cause you problems if you apply it too soon.

You do still need to continue your pain meds or you will be very uncomfortable as you go forward in recovery. Don't even think about cutting back. It will happen naturally when your body is ready. If your surgeon starts talking about stopping the refills, go to your GP and discuss pain management. They always seem to understand this process so much better than the OS's out there....
 
My handout from the OS said to wait a week or so (which was about how long the strips take to naturally come off I think and the incision is closed) before starting with the scar massage.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom