TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said to rub the vit e or lotion along the sides of the incision, not ON the incision, said it would help it disappear (more invisible)... when it heals, then I should rum ON it??
Still have a few scabs.
 
No, actually you don't need to rub the oil on the incision at all. I would wait to do any of it, even near the incision until you are fully healed. At that point, it won't hurt anything. Lots of people feel like the oil or lotion helps the scar heal so that it's not so noticeable. But just as many or more who use no oil or lotion find their scar heals beautifully also. It's more of a personal preference....but do wait until everything is all healed and scabs are gone.
 
grabbit97 ~

Congrats on the great report from your doctor! I'm glad that the healing is going well, and the open part of the incision isn't anything to be too concerned about.


I have been using Vitamin E - just poking a hole in one of the capsules and squeezing the oil out onto the healed incision. I rub it in pretty well, and what I like about using it, is that I can then massage the areas around my knees, and the muscles that feel tight. I use several capsules at a time to get enough oil! I massage my calves and thighs as well. I think it has helped lessen my pain. Plus, I'm hoping for the added benefit of beautifully healed incisions! :yes 4:

My 6 week OS visit was yesterday, and he said I'm the "poster child" for BTKR! Go figure... :wink1:
 
grabbit97 ~

I have been using Vitamin E - just poking a hole in one of the capsules and squeezing the oil out onto the healed incision. I rub it in pretty well, and what I like about using it, is that I can then massage the areas around my knees, and the muscles that feel tight. I use several capsules at a time to get enough oil! I massage my calves and thighs as well. I think it has helped lessen my pain. Plus, I'm hoping for the added benefit of beautifully healed incisions! :yes 4:

I know my sister said they told her vit E lotion would help her C-section scar but it didn't. I'd think as long as the incision is healed it can't hurt anything. And if it feels good, what the hey? ;)

My 6 week OS visit was yesterday, and he said I'm the "poster child" for BTKR! Go figure... :wink1:

Curve wrecker! :hissyfit::hysterical: Great news.:yes 4:
 
grabbit97

I have been using Vitamin E - just poking a hole in one of the capsules and squeezing the oil out onto the healed incision. I rub it in pretty well, and what I like about using it, is that I can then massage the areas around my knees, and the muscles that feel tight. I use several capsules at a time to get enough oil! I massage my calves and thighs as well. I think it has helped lessen my pain. Plus, I'm hoping for the added benefit of beautifully healed incisions! :yes 4:

My 6 week OS visit was yesterday, and he said I'm the "poster child" for BTKR! Go figure... :wink1:

Good for you, poster child is a good thing!! I will wait to use the vit. E until all my scabs are gone, most of them are, I imagine another week. I see the OS one more time, on Oct 4, before I go to AZ for the winter.. looking forward to GOLF!
I was at PT yesterday, and am hurting today, so will just ice and elevate, take it easy with the home exercises for today...
I did ride the recumbant bike at PT for 5 minutes, was able to make the pedals go around... yeahhhh.
 
You lucky thing - AZ! I wish we could go to Arizona for the winter - I love warm weather, and hate the cold Wisconsin winters!

Congrats on your bike success! It feels so great to finally get the pedals going around! And you're doing the right thing by icing and elevating today. Keep it up! :thumb:
 
grabbit, I would really urge you to try one Tramadol and two Tylenol instead of the other way around.
It will probably be every bit as effective.
 
Jo, I am taking the 2 tramadol and 1 500mg tylenol because I am taking meds every four hours, and tyleno limit is 4000 mg so I would have to do it every hours and would be in pain.

How come my knee is hurting so much?? All under my knee and up above knee by thigh..I was thinking by 6 1/2 weeks some of the pain would start subsiding???

Thanks
 
Natalie,
At 61/2 weeks I was despairing that I would ever be pain free but 2 weeks later I know I will! Hang in there, rest rat rest, ice and elevate, it will pay off.
 
Well, it's simple math not rocket science! 4,000mg means you can take 8 tablets every day but you are only taking about 5 - yes? That means that at three times you can take two Tylenol with the Tramadol.
 
Hi you guys, you are all so early in the recovery process and what you really need to learn is PATIENCE!

Its not a fast recovery, everyone is different, and the pain almost always comes and goes. We have all had pity parties at some stage or other, but you need to just take it in your stride and realise that its a long road sometimes, and for me, at a year on, I am still getting some stiffness, but the pain has gone, my flexion continues to get better and it was so worth it. Please take care, and remember the basics everyday in the early stages, ICE, ELEVATE and REST. You know it makes sense!!:thumb:
 
grabbit97 ~

Congrats on the great report from your doctor! I'm glad that the healing is going well, and the open part of the incision isn't anything to be too concerned about.


I have been using Vitamin E - just poking a hole in one of the capsules and squeezing the oil out onto the healed incision. I rub it in pretty well, and what I like about using it, is that I can then massage the areas around my knees, and the muscles that feel tight. I use several capsules at a time to get enough oil! I massage my calves and thighs as well. I think it has helped lessen my pain. Plus, I'm hoping for the added benefit of beautifully healed incisions! :yes 4:

My 6 week OS visit was yesterday, and he said I'm the "poster child" for BTKR! Go figure... :wink1:
But, I wanted to be the poster child, Kneed! I lobbied for it and everything!
 
Thanks for the update, I need to be patient, but I am in constant pain of some kind... mostly below the knee, and shooting pains up to my groin area.. don't know what that is, does ANYONE have that experience?
 
Natalie, it's sometimes pretty difficult to say exactly WHY something hurts when you are recovering from a TKR. You just need to expect a variety of soft tissue pains. They may come and go. Some may be more irritating than others. Be sure you are medicating so that you're comfortable. It's just part of recovery and it will lessen with time. You are still VERY early in the recovery timeline.
 
I thank you Jamie for your input, I do appreciate everyone's input.

Last night was HORRIBLE. I was in pain all night, could not sleep, and had terrible abdominal pains from not going to bathroom. I finally went this morning after terrible pains again...nothing left in me.

This has been going on, so first called the OS, and they took me off celebrex, and put me on VOLTAREN, anyone been on this???? They are trying another type of anti-inflamatory. She feels celebrex is not working.

Also called internist regarding plumbing problems and not going potty. I am taking @ colace am n pm. Also metamucil in am.

Anyone got this problem..I am also on tramadol n tylenol.

Thakß
 
Constipation can be quite a problem after surgery. The anesthetic itself slows things down plus it is a side effect of pain medication. So be sure you continue with your colace and metamucil. You can also add in some prunes and/or prune juice to further help. You know, they even make flavored prunes in lemon, orange or cherry that taste pretty much like candy. They are available in most grocery stores in the dried fruit aisle and I highly recommend them for constipation problems.

This won't last forever, so try to be patient.

You mentioned abdominal pain, but how is the pain in your knee???
 
I thank you Jamie for your input, I do appreciate everyone's input.

Last night was HORRIBLE. I was in pain all night, could not sleep, and had terrible abdominal pains from not going to bathroom. I finally went this morning after terrible pains again...nothing left in me.

This has been going on, so first called the OS, and they took me off celebrex, and put me on VOLTAREN, anyone been on this???? They are trying another type of anti-inflamatory. She feels celebrex is not working.

Also called internist regarding plumbing problems and not going potty. I am taking @ colace am n pm. Also metamucil in am.

Anyone got this problem..I am also on tramadol n tylenol.

Thakß
I think that you will find that most people on here, at least those still on pain meds, are very familiar with your problem. Narcotics especially have a clogging effect. I'm two weeks out from BTKR and struggling mightily with the plumbing. I have been taking softeners twice a day, Milk of Magnesia once a day, and My bowels have still been asleep. Finally, I resorted to suppositories, which work like a charm. It's important to keep things moving just to keep you feeling energetic at all. Try to really bulk up on legumes (we love split pea soup), raw fruits and veggies, and whole grains.

Celebrex gave me stomach aches too.
 
Hang on - are you taking just Voltarol (diclofenac) for your pain? Remind me - do you have problems with prescription pain meds? I wouldn't imagine that diclofenac is even remotely adequate at 6 weeks. No wonder you are in pain all the time.
 
Constipation can be quite a problem after surgery. The anesthetic itself slows things down plus it is a side effect of pain medication. So be sure you continue with your colace and metamucil. You can also add in some prunes and/or prune juice to further help. You know, they even make flavored prunes in lemon, orange or cherry that taste pretty much like candy. They are available in most grocery stores in the dried fruit aisle and I highly recommend them for constipation problems.

This won't last forever, so try to be patient.

You mentioned abdominal pain, but how is the pain in your knee???

Pain in my knee is not good either, that is why they switched me from Celebrex to Voltaren... so tomorrow I start on the Voltaren, I am hoping that it takes the bite out of the pain I am having.....I had a call from the internist, and they said to continue with the metamucil, and the colace, and drink MORE water, and move around more...which I have increased both.

How many PRUNES should I eat in the morning?

Thank you
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom