TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
it sure is killing me and I have not had a BM in 3 days..they are giving me a stool softener and milk of magnesia.
 
MAKE SURE they know you are in pain. They can't help you if you don't speak up. You need the pain meds, don't worry about them... Like I said, its not going to much fun for a little while, but it DOES get better.

Its not unusual to be a bit backed up.
 
I have asked for something else...norco TWO them every 4 hours....giving me milk of magnesia''' and stool softners
Still have not gone..they. also have me taking insulin wile in the hospital
 
Natalie, hang in there. Sometimes you have to stay on the nurses/caregivers to help you with what you need, so don't hesitate to do that. It sounds like overall you are doing well, take good care!
 
Hi Natalie,
Congratulations on your new knee! :yes 4:
I also didn't go for a few days. Just remember, you haven't had much to eat either... Don't forget to let the nurses know if you haven't gone BEFORE you leave for rehab tomorrow.
 
My guess is that I won't go before I lve for rehab...at which time they might try a suppository. Yuk.....never had one of those before.
I have been eating since yesterday..solids..first day was just liquids.

My leg feels NUMB..to the left of the incisision. Is that normal.
They gave me some knee high Ted hose..the thigh hi. Killed me, rolling up and cutting off circulation.

Only 3 days out, and I am feeling pretty ggo, swollel leg, numbness, and no potty....are major problems.
Natalie
 
That numbness on the outside "edge" is indeed normal. Mine is still mostly numb. Swelling is going to be with you for quite some time as well. I KNOW I've talked about it. I couldn't leave the hospital until I had a BM, all but hurt myself getting through that...
 
Natalie,
Is seems that lack of a BM haunts many of us! Keep at the nursing staff for more tricks! I still take metamucil morning and night, just in case! It is a common complaint, not eating much (I vomited from the narcotics) not much exercise and all those meds.
Keep reading these posts..they got me through the last couple of difficult weeks but each day gets a little better. Rest, ice and elevate .... I say it to myself every day.
Good luck and well done.
 
No BM yet, but they are releasing me to the rehab facility. I am sure that there will be an explosion soon, taking milk of magnesia and colace.
Woke up this morning feeling good. The knee and surrounding ares were not bad, less numbness.
I am on Norco, TWO of them every four hours for pain and now started on celebrex every 12 hours for swelling...hope that does the trick.

I slept all night, elevated my knee on 2 pillows. Even slept for awhile on my side with pillow between legs.

Natalie
 
I itched like crazy....you can't rest....they gave me benadryl helped some...it stopped when they took the spinal cath out and I couldn't have whatever it was... it was almost immeadately Sharlene
 
Woke up this morning feeling good. The knee and surrounding ares were not bad, less numbness.
I am on Norco, TWO of them every four hours for pain and now started on celebrex every 12 hours for swelling...hope that does the trick.

I slept all night, elevated my knee on 2 pillows. Even slept for awhile on my side with pillow between legs.

Natalie
Sounds good!
 
Natalie....I know you're frustrated, but what you're experiencing is very normal. Everyone is right that you may have to keep after the nurses to try additional things for your constipation. But...you'll get there.

I'm just glad the pain got sorted for you. That IS a problem if you are still in pain. Hang in there....you will start to see improvements soon.
 
Today is day 4 post op. Had PT at 9 and because the pain meds were given at 6 am--the norco was starting to wear out. They gave me ONE 500 mg tylenol to take the edge off until next dose of Norco was due at 10:00 am. It worked, but still am not in sink with PT (9 and 1).
I have to figure out a way to get in sync with PT.
Swelling is minimal, doctor says the stiches look great, no oozing, and sleep is only problem. I will try the ambien again tonight, didn't work last night.
For only four days out, I who was miss chicken ........ is doing fairly well.
 
Good! Hope you get in synch with PT and meds. I hope you continue to do well.
 
Just wanted to pop in to let all know that I am doing fairly well. I have PT 2x a day. Boy were you all correct when you said to make sure you keep ahead of the pain. That Norco that they have me on does work well, 2 every 4 hours. They also put me on celebrex in the morning. As long as I keep taking on time I am fine. The incision is dry, NO swelling, so they said more important to ice, not worry about elevate, sleep without pillow under foot, want me to extend leg to be able to flatten it to the bend, not bend it.
Sleeping is OK, they give me an ambien at midnight.
Natalie
 
Sounds like you are doing just great Natalie. Glad you are icing already - that will also help reduce the pain. Take care and update when you can.
 
they said more important to ice, not worry about elevate
Don't agree with that. There might not be any external swelling but can still be plenty internally. Plus it's still possible to get swelling even though you don't seem to have had any for a while. Better to be safe than sorry, y'know?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom