TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any answers for you, but want to add that I'm thinking about you, and hope you find answers for the pains soon! I get some cramping, but not as much or as severe as yours sounds. I hope that the med switch helps.
 
I'm going to tag Jo and let her take a look at what has been going on with you. Maybe she will have some additional suggestions. @Josephine:
 
Nope - it's a mystery to me, I'm afraid. So sorry. Looks like you will have to go see your GP again.
 
Any help would be appreciated.... very puzzling....Vitamin E? 1 am and 1 pm?
 
Puzzles me too, but what about this shooting pain from the knee upward to the groin, is that part of the recovery?

The cramps when I wake up in the morning and get out of bed in my CALVES, that is a puzzlement.. I am eating a banana every day, started taking vit. E, and Magnesium Oxide, morning and evening to see if that helps, also stretching toes towards my chest before I get out of bed in the morning.. don't know what else can be done.
 
Natalie, I think you would be wise to take Jo's advice and have a chat with your GP. It might be good to have some blood tests just to rule out any problems that might not be related to your recovery.
 
Called the GP, she will get back to me on Monday, she told me to continue with Magnesium Oxide, and Vitamin E and eating a banana, until she gets back to me.
Don't know what else to do.

 
I want to try and ride my bike outside again, anyone done that at 3 months... I can pedal the stationary bike for about 20 minutes.. (knee is sore tho from 20 .. 10 is better)
 
Well, I certainly wouldn't attempt any new or excessive activity until you get this pain and the cramps resolved. My feeling is you would just make things worse.
 
I am now wondering if it has something to do with the FEMORAL BLOCK that I had. Ever since the surgery, I have had pains in my lower abdomen by the groin, kinda in the area where they gave me the femoral block. I continue to have pains there, lots of gas... lots, and shooting pains periodically from my knee up my thigh... I also have these terrible cramps in my calves (which started abotu 2 weeks ago, and don't think they are related to the other pains), the knee itself is pretty good, just pain under it, not a pain, but a numbness...
 
I wouldn't think so, Natalie. But I'll tag Jo to see what she has to say. @Josephine:
 
Started taking alieve, along with tylenol. (1 every 3 hours), 2 at bedtime, will take one more alieve at about 7 pm ..
See how that works, was getting sick from the advil.
Celebrex wears off in 8 hours, don't want to take another 200 mg one.
 
Natalie ~

I sure hope you get this pain/cramp thing under control. I would echo Jo's suggestion to see your surgeon. I wouldn't think you should be suffering so much yet. The kind of pain I have is definitely just achy stiffness, whereas it sounds as if yours is throbbing, stabbing pain.


Please see your surgeon!
 
The pain I have is NOT coming from my knee surgery, it's going up my thigh to my groin area, and also cramping of my calves... yes I have some numbness below my knee in an arc below it, but I think that is normal, the cramping and the shooting pains up my thigh are not. I am going to call my internist in the morning, and go from there... I am in AZ now, for the winter, the surgeon is in ILL. So... I can talk to the surgeon to see what they think, but it's going to have to ben handled by someone out here..
 
Thank you Jo, I also have called my GP, waiting for a call as far as the cramps in my calves... I think there is some kind of a deficiency (vitamin... potassium, calcium, or magnisium)... where the only way to know is blood tests.. I guess...
 
OK, so here is the story now, the pain from my knee to my groin on top of my thigh has ceased, is that do to the fact that Monday, the PT guy stretched and stretched my leg all which ways? I have no idea... so then the pain went to my knee, right below, in front down my leg on the outer side (if you can picture that), that lasted 2 days, now the pain is in my knee cap... can't figure this one out..
The cramps seem to be better after my GP said to STRETCH before I go to bed, and when I get up in the morning. I rolled a towel up, put my toes on the towel, about 8 or 10 inches from the counter, and leaned INWARD towards the counter, you can FEEL the hamstrings stretch in back below the knee, did this for a count of 20 FOUR times, as the PT told me to do. I think it might be working, (knock on wood), or is it I am now 13 weeks out, passed the magic number of 3 months? I hope this will keep up and the pain, numbness will continue to decrease...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom