Guest viewing is limited

TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this keeps working for you. fingers crossed...
 
Just a follow up, had PT on Monday, I told him no more stretching the leg to and fro, literally every angle, I was SO SORE, no more of that.... so he massaged deeply under and around the side of the knee, that is sore today, Tuesday, but I also walked alot in the hospital where I take my therapy dog, Zoey for Pet Therapy, about an hour's worth of standing and walking, a bit of sitting, but not enough, then I went over to gym and rode the recumbant for 20 minutes, probably overdid, cuz I am SORE!
Went to doctor today for the cramps in my calves, he did some bloodwork, which hopefully will be back in a couple of days, one was electrolytes, a1c, panel for calcium, magnesium and other stuff.... I iced today and elevated 1x, this afternoon, but it's hurting tonight, price I pay for being active I guess, and now the OTHER knee is hurting, the one I have had 3 synvisc one shots in. and I can't have another one until dec 8... insurance issue, only can get one every 6 months.
 
Finally did it, gotr on my bike yesterday, and rode it outside, for about 8 minutes, it was not easy, didn't feel good, but I did it.
Today I was sore... went to PT, he stretched me good...
 
Do be careful, Natalie.....you will be using a lot of different muscles to ride a regular bike than you're used to using with other exercises...including an exercise bike. Be sure you are strong enough to catch yourself if you were to get off balance on the bike and that you can slam on the brakes if needed.
 
I second what Jamie said about the bike. While we are all in a hurry to get back into a routine and enjoy activities, take it slow when you think about riding the real bike. I would rather be a little late on the bike than a little too soon.

Please be very careful.
 
Yes, it did hurt in a weird way, as I was not able to get it round easily, but I think I may just do the stationary price for awhile.

I am still having pains up my thigh from my knee on top, and down my shin from my knee. PT stretched and massaged, it hurts tonight, he said some pain to gain?????
 
Just be sure to take things very easy until that pain lessens.
 
I don't know whether to just try a little each day, maybe just in front of the house, while hubby is near, 3 or 4 mintues up and down in front of the house, or just continue to go to the clubhouse to ride the recumbant... how long?
At PT I ride for 10 minutes. At clubhouse, I rode for 20 minutes on the recumbant the other day.. no resistance, and I can set my outside bike to no resistance, lowest gear..???
 
Yes but on the stationary bike you're not responsible for keep the bike balanced and upright. I think you should stick near the house where you can get help should the need arise. And make sure you have your cell phone with you just in case!
 
Yes, GOOD ADVICE... thanks Jo and Jamie.
I am not doing anything today, the PT pushed and pulled and kneaded so hard that I am in pain, said NO PAIN, NO GAIN?
Not sure if I am going to continue with PT...maybe one more week.
 
Natalie, remember our BoneSmartie's mantra is "No pain, more gain!" It sounds as if you could do your own PT at home now and get better results because you won't push yourself to the point of pain! Discomfort is expected, but when it becomes painful, PT has gone too far! Maybe invest in a massage therapist instead for a few treatments? If your OS says you are able to go in the water, you can try some aqua therapy as well. That has always helped me more than traditional PT! It feels so good!!

Be sure to keep us posted! Give your knee some rest now; ice and elevate! Take care! ~Suzie
 
Yes, I am thinking seriously of stopping the PT, this guy knows what he is doing, but I am so sore when I get done with him, I think by riding the recumbant, and I should go in the water, we have an indoor pool here in our community, and a gym that is to die for, and I can do the shuttle (push my feet against it to strenghten my quads)..so tired of pain in this leg, not the knee, it's the leg especially from the knee to the groin up the front of the thigh, which is tight, been using a tennis ball, rolling it on the tight muscles, I know I can stretch the quads, I know the hamstring stretch, been through this whole thing...
 
I think *gentle* massage might help, but this guy sounds like a bit of a brute. :scratch: It's not the same thing, but my sister goes to a massage therapist for her fibromyalgia who believes you shouldn't be in pain after a massage.
 
I am certainly puzzled by the motto, NO PAIN NO GAIN... went thursday afternoon, just now starting to feel a bit better, leg was SORE yesterday (friday) ... still having TERRIBLE cramping in my lower legs, both of them, had blood tests, all normal... so ?????
Going to try drinking SMARTWATER and see if that helps.
Electrolytes, calcium, and magnesium are added to the water.
As far as the pain management from this PT, I am going to stop as of right before Thanksgiving.... that's it, should not need PT anymore, been since August 18. I should be able to do most of the stretching and other things either at home or at the gym here in our community (like a Del Webb) so we have a state of the art facility for our use.
Riding my bike, will try it again outside, just a few minutes, each day, in front of the house, with hubby around, to make sure I am ok. Will build up doing it little by little.
 
Natalie, what exactly is puzzling you about someone saying "No pain, no gain"? It's not accurate when you are dealing with joint replacement surgery.
 
I guess, its self explanatory, he feels I need to have some pain from him pulling and pushing my leg in order to get the muscles loosended up and therefore gain use of my leg without pain... but the Bonesmart Mantra, NO PAIN MORE GAIN makes sense... thanks Jamie!!
 
Okay....that's good! I was afraid you were buying into that "No pain, no gain" stuff. I'm happy you are wiser than that!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom