I kept saying it hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loz

member
Joined
Dec 29, 2010
Messages
158
Age
62
Location
uk
Gender
Male
Well after the good news in the morning, just to put my mind at rest I was told to have a scan on my calf, "just to put my mind at rest"
So I went down at 6 lat night, and by 7 was in bed after being admitted straight away, I could not even go home and get my PJs. About 30 seconds into the scan I new something was wrong! I have a clot (DVT) from my Calf to just below my groin!
I was weighed put to bed and had the injection in the stomoch before I knew what was happening!!
This was my 3rd time to 2 different hospitols, niether spotted it because there was no redness, no swelling, no hardness and no pain unless I stod up and walked.

As the late great Spike Millagan has on his grave "I told you I was ill)

So I am laying here with my stocking on being told to bed rest! And I was doing so well with my walking!!!

This has been writing by me on my Blackberry so sorry about the spelling.
 
Hi Loz,
What a bummer. You were doing so well. How long will you have to stay in? I have been giving myself those jabs in the tummy since I came home. Its so strange how different consultants have such different ways of treating us!! How are you feeling? Has the pain got any better? Glad you went to put your mind at rest.
Cathy
 
Cheers Mrsgibbo, about 3 days. It is weird how they are all so different, all I had was the Injections while in hospitol and then nothing? I even asked the consualtent and he said at the time, it was not nesasary.
But that's the thing it was actully feeling a bit better even when walking! It fine while I sit or lie down?
 
Yes, it is confusing. I went to hospital one night with a chest pain which I eventually realised was muscle strain from heavy digging, preparing my garden for planting. No matter how I protested, they kept me in overnight on a warfarin drip and the next day the consultant said he wanted to keep me in for another 24hrs on the drip even though all the blood tests and ECGs were perfectly normal. In the end, I took my own discharge!

Have you talked to your GP? Perhaps he could give you the low down on this treatment.
 
Loz....I hope you can get everything sorted out. In the meantime, it is better to be safe and under care until you get all the answers. Please continue to let us know how you're doing!!!:th_console:
 
I'm glad they found it. My sister had blood clots from her chemo port that could have killed her - it was quite frightening. Good for you for speaking up and persevering until you got attention.
 
Hi Loz!
I'm glad you are under care and close watch. Definitely better to be safe! You're right, you did tell us you were sore! Let us know how you make out and enjoy the little rest while you can. Kim
 
Wow Loz, I do hope you are feeling better! These things are very scary. I am sure all your moving around helped but please rest easy now.

Please keep us updated!
 
TBH I feel fine, the leg has never been painful while resting?
My arm and tummy are a bit sore because of the injections and the top of my leg feels a bit bruised? But that might be because it has been proded and squeezed over the last few days.
But over all just glad it has been spoted and delt with. Just a bit bored now.

Thank you all for your concern xx
 
That's good. Amazing what these clever drugs can do nowadays. Even a simple aspirin can do it.

Did you know that emergency services recommend you always keep one aspirin ready to hand if you're an 'at risk' type and any hint of worrying chest pain, take it at once. It won't do any harm if it's a false alarm but could save your life if it's a heart attack! I have one on the mantelpiece and another on my bedside table!
 
I have been told I can go home tomorrow morning. I have to take 3mg of anticoagulant daily. But as soon as I am out I can go back to exercising as normal.
 
Yahooooo! How long do you have to take the meds? Glad you are over this little bump in the recovery road!
 
It looks like at least 3 months! One of the good/bad things I enjoy a smoke! About 2 or 3 a day sometimes none! But it does look like those days are gone now, I also like a pint or 2 or 3 at football or cricket looks like that has come to a end too!
But a couple of life style changes for the better I supose.
 
Oh Loz I empathize with you the changes you will need to enact will not be easy. Yes everyone will tell you it's for the best and you certainly already knew that, but that doesn't change the fact that they are ingrained habits you have to work to get rid of.
The good news, from my husband's and my experience, is that when you are undergoing a health challenge can be a great time to make those changes because things aren't per usual anyway. The motivation is high and it can be part of the new life you are building. Best of luck.

Jo, I agree with the advice you dispensed about keeping aspirin handy and I hope people took note of it. I have kept a bottle of aspirin around the house "just in case" for years. In fact I should probably check to see if it's still good. And aspirin was the anti-coagulant I was told to take post surgery, not considered to be at high risk for problems.
 
Just had aearly morning visit from my consultent, Iam going home!!!
I have allways taken asprin as a pain killer, BUT reading my yellow book on anticoagulant, Asprin is a no no while taking them.
So now off to start this new pure living life ;-) well for 3 months anyway!!
 
Just looked back at this thread as I am now home. I must apolagies, my spelling is truly shocking. I blame poor eyesite and a small Blackberry.

I feel I am now behind on where I wanted to be, but I wont push it!!
 
Aspirin has anti-coagulant properties so cannot be taken alongside coumadin else you'd be doubling up on it! As for can you start back in with your exercises - that's a question for your doctors.
 
I did ask, have a easy weekend and concentrate on my exercises, not so much walking! But from Monday I can ramp up the walking as long as my leg is not swollon or too sore.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom