Guest viewing is limited

Right TKR scheduled for May 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.
@lovetocookandsew
Thanks. According to the booklet I read, I will not be having home care or home PT. It's hard waiting and not knowing. I originally made the surgery for the first week in June, but my doctor said he could do it the last Friday in May, so I agreed to move it up. Gives me an extra week of recovery time. And even though I don't want general, the booklet says you get general anesthesia. Doesn't look like I'll get the block either, or at least not the long lasting one. And I have the pillow arrangement made, and ice packs to get started with. Now to arrange rides to PT.
 
I agree, the waiting is quite hard, especially for those like me who like to have all their ducks in a row beforehand.
[Bonesmart.org] Right TKR scheduled for May 27th
[Bonesmart.org] Right TKR scheduled for May 27th
[Bonesmart.org] Right TKR scheduled for May 27th


I much prefer a general-the thought of waking and/or hearing any part of the surgery is more than I can handle-I want to be out like a light. I've decided to skip out-patient PT totally, and may or may not do the home PT. I'll let them come over once; if I can get my original PT, I may continue at home for a bit. My OS says having PT or not is totally up to me. But the home nurse will come as long as I need her-that may be one visit or a few. You don't have to do formal PT at all, unless you really want to; I know many here do as well or better without any PT other than following Josephine's advice on the subject.

I don't know if you sew, but I made some covers for my homemade ice packs a couple of weeks ago. They have flannel on one side and fleece on the other so that when the ice is really cold the fleece will protect my skin, and I can flip them over to the flannel side as the ice melts. I used velcro to keep them closed after the pack is inside. I also made a strap with velcro to hold them on my knee as last time the ice packs slipped off all the time. I made some long ice packs to go totally around my knee, and made a long cover to match.
 
@lovetocookandsew
That's me!! All the ducks in a row! Ha!Ha! I do sew. Never thought of covers - I like the flannel/fleece idea. I've been using an ace bandage to keep the ice on after someone at school suggested it. But I do get some funny looks! Course, I'm at the age where I go for comfort over style anyway!

I'm telling myself to be patient and just let things fall into place now. Can't speed up time. It will all come quickly enough. Plus I guess I need to focus on inventory the next two weeks. Not looking forward to the extra pain in the hands and elbows. Last year was awful.

I think I've got everything in place that I can for right now. Just trying to make it all a game to pass the time.
 
Waiting is the hardest part. I thought that they should have it like the "quick lube" places around the country. You go in, get the X-Rays, the MRI, and get diagnosed---and then they move you down the hall and you have the TKR surgery---all in the same time. No waiting, no fuss, no muss!
 
According to the booklet I read, I will not be having home care or home PT.
I believe that, if you need it, you are entitled to have it. Ask before your discharge.
And even though I don't want general, the booklet says you get general anesthesia. Doesn't look like I'll get the block either, or at least not the long lasting one.
As long as there are no medical reasons why one method is contra-indicated, you have the right to choose which type of anaesthetic is used. If you can, express your preference beforehand. It may well be that your surgeon and his anaesthetist have a preference, but your wishes should be considered as well. Just say something like, "If possible, I would prefer to have a spinal anaesthetic and a nerve block." You could even phone your surgeon's rooms and ask, stating your preference. Best to let everyone know of your preference as soon as possible.

Don't forget that this booklet is not the be-all and end-all of information. It is written as a general guide, which gives the most likely protocols. There should be provision for adaptations to suite each individual.
 
I, on the other hand worried myself sick for 7 weeks because I didn't want a spinal with sedation. The pre op nurses arranged a meeting with the anaesthetist the day before my op and it all got sorted to our mutual satisfaction, my preference for a GA and the anaesthetists liking for a femoral nerve block. In the end it was a good combination for me. Lots of people on this forum gave me advice which gave me the confidence to ask for what I wanted. My mum always used to say "if you don't ask you don't get". Celle is absolutely right.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
@Celle @Tabbycat
I'll have to ask when I go in next week. I already don't remember all the medicines I was told would be used. I talked with one of the anesthetists when I went to the class, but I don't think he mentioned specific medication/anesthesia. He did bring up the episode where I didn't wake up quite right and had to be admitted instead of it being an out patient procedure, so he is aware I may have problems. Thing is, when I asked if you could chose the anesthetist, they said no. But maybe since I had a preference and they let me talk to him, I'll get him again.

Having problems with knee not behaving. It's throbbing and hard to walk on; along with the fact that it is swelling again because I'm having difficulty bending it. I don't want to ask for it to be drained again this close to surgery. He may drain it anyway next week. That one little pocket of swelling sure wreaks havoc!

@referee54
Yeah - we should have all this streamlined!
 
Hi tabbycat just stopped by to see how you are feeling.hope your recovery is not to painful.
 
I had epidural and medication to keep me asleep and I woke up great and had no pain until they removed the epidural 2 days later. I loved the epidural. I was able to get out of bed, walk and do gentle pt. Had bilateral knee replacement.
 
@birdwatchr
I couldn't choose my anaesthetist either, I think it depended on who the surgeon liked to work with and who was available on the day. Don't worry though, whoever he is he will know all your medical history, and nothing will happen without your full agreement.
I'm sorry your knee is being so badly behaved at the moment, at least after the surgery you will be making progress towards less and less pain.
Love, Tabbs xxx
 
The booklet I received at the class was not the same thing that my OS did. It also mentioned having a general anaesthesia. You will also see the anaesthetist before your surgery. I know when I have a general I always wake up crying and very upset like I was having a horrible dream. With the spinal, femoral and sedation I wake up like I had a nice nap. I always make sure I get something for nausea every time someone puts me under. This time they used the scopalamine patch which works for three days. You can call your OS office now or wait until you go there and ask what he likes to use.
 
hing is, when I asked if you could chose the anesthetist, they said no.

I couldn't choose my anaesthetist either, I think it depended on who the surgeon liked to work with and who was available on the day.
That is what
I head---the OS nomally works with an anesthesiologist whom he trusts---like a team.

With the spinal, femoral and sedation I wake up like I had a nice nap.
Bingo!!! IT was lights out! Lights back on!
 
He did bring up the episode where I didn't wake up quite right and had to be admitted instead of it being an out patient procedure, so he is aware I may have problems. Thing is, when I asked if you could chose the anesthetist, they said no. But maybe since I had a preference and they let me talk to him, I'll get him again.
Since you already have a a history of a problem after a general anaesthetic, I think that any anaesthetist would be cautious about giving you one again. Make sure that you remind everyone about this. It supports you preference to have a spinal and nerve block.
 
Thanks guys! I guess I'll get whoever. Just as long as it's not the second one I had whose attitude was "this is the way I do it, so shut up". He didn't exactly say that, but that was the impression I got. I'm having quite a bit of pain from that surgery still. I did have one anesthesiologist years ago who didn't believe me and showed it rather openly. All the others have been "thank you for telling us - we need to know that - we'll watch you closely".

Had another scheduling problem with the surgeon's office yesterday. Good thing my PCP knew I was coming in for the pre-op and sort of knew what was needed. However, they still had to call TWICE to get the info faxed over! And they told them I was standing right there waiting for my pre-op! Don't know what that girl's problem is. PCP also ordered the chest x-ray - PCP decided to be proactive about everything so I shouldn't have any delays/surprises/possible cancellation..... Tonight is the dental. Joy. Regular cleaning is due every July, so I made it before surgery even thought it's a little early. Don't know if I'll be driving in July and don't want to risk anything so soon after surgery.

Still showing nervousness. Yesterday I actually had to ask for something to do 'cause I couldn't focus and find it on my own! I NEVER need to ask for work! Just 2 more weeks.
 
Boy, do I understand your nerves. I'm right there with you! I am constantly looking for 'busy work' to help get my mind off of it. Doesn't help too much, does it?
 
@sistersinhim
Nope - it doesn't! But I'm hanging in! My stomach has been topsy turvy for a while. And other joints are starting to hurt more. I've already been advised to stop aspirin, so I did. That's really all I take for the pain. I'm still trying to focus, so I am doing "easy" things where I can sit here.

Knee is swollen again in the pocket where fluid likes to collect. Swelling makes it difficult to bend and it hurts more. The way of life for me, for the past 4-5 years. But.... because I know this before surgery, I'll will probably remember it well after surgery! Just a small amount of swelling will make knee bend hard.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Another setback. Need advice from medical people:
My potassium is 3.3 and I just got told they will not take me to surgery with it that low. Potassium has been 3.whatever for years and I take 4 "horsepills" of potassium every day. What do I do?
 
Ask your PCP for advice.
Bananas are high in potassium.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom