Guest viewing is limited

Right TKR scheduled for May 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to help. That's what we're here for.
I had so much help from BoneSmart before my surgeries that I decided to stay here and repay the help I had received.
 
Oxycodone can be prescribed by itself and as such it does NOT contain any Tylenol. The way you can tell is if the amount on mg is listed as 5-325 mg or 10-325mg. The 325 indicates the amount of Tylenol. This is true in the US but it may be different in other countries.
 
@newlybionic
Always wondered what the 325 meant. Now I know! Thanks. I usually read side effects of my medicines, just so I can know what to look out for. But I never put the 325 with the tylenol! You really do learn something new every day!
 
Another sleepless night. First, Hubby decided to be a horse. Then he decided we were in a rocking boat on a stormy ocean! I actually thought I would be seasick and started to get queasy. I gave up on sleep. Doubt I'll feel any difference after surgery, with everyone saying they don't get any sleep. I already go through that! LOL

Knee's not behaving too well right now. Legs, feet, and toes keep cramping up.

Question for those in the medical field: Everything I look up about my symptoms, first thing it notes is "possible thyroid problem", even knee arthritis. Yet my thyroid test always come back "normal". So.... if you have an extreme number (just inside the lowest or highest number), is it really "normal"? Especially if you have symptoms? (Like every symptom in the book) Spent so many years trying to get doctors to listen to me, I finally gave up about most things and just live with them. Any ideas/suggestions/opinions?

Also, can lumbar epidural interfere or help with knee surgery/problem?

Having joint class today at 2. Hope I don't get stuck in rush hour traffic coming home. Haven't driven in it for about 20 years and it makes me very nervous now that I am no longer used to it, especially with stiff neck.

Thanks so much for all help.
 
Yet my thyroid test always come back "normal". So.... if you have an extreme number (just inside the lowest or highest number), is it really "normal"?
Yes it is.
Also, can lumbar epidural interfere or help with knee surgery/problem?
Why would you be having the epidural in the first place? I cannot answer when I only have half the story!
 
I had a lot of cramp both before and after TKR. I find that Indian Tonic Water helps a lot. I usually drink it when we are dancing as that can cause toe cramp I find. Tonic water seems to prevent it. After my TKR I drank a small can every day and it stopped the cramps I had been getting in hospital. Best of luck for your op.
 
@Josephine
They have been wanting me to have lumbar epidural for leg pain and numbness for a while now. I didn't know if it would be a helpful or hurtful thing to do before/after surgery. Have pinched nerves in lower back and neck. Numbness in legs/feet and arms/hands. They also said I have carpal tunnel affecting hands.
 
@Majic
That's an idea. I get so tired of cramps waking me up at night and then keeping me awake. Thanks!
 
So I got my first PT appointment set today. I asked why so early and what will they do exactly? It is supposed to be for measuring and going over the treatment plan. Supposed to take an hour. Sure hope that's all!
 
Well, y'know, clinics and such do make very early starts these days! My consultant has clinics that start at 7.30am! :scaredycat:

As for the epidural, it rather depends upon their reasons for doing it. If they are doing it for diagnostic purposes, that's entirely different matter and will prove or disprove the source of your pain. So in that case, do go ahead with it.

But if it's to treat the pain, personally I wouldn't recommend them and I wouldn't have one. I've known a few folk who got benefit from them but I've known scores who haven't!
 
I had two epidural spinal pain locks. Neither worked at all, I agree with Josephine.
 
@Josephine @Majic
It is for pain and I've been super unsure to go ahead with it. So I've put it off each time it's mentioned. Thanks. I think I'll keep putting it off.
 
Boy, do I know about sleepless nights. I wouldn't know what it was like to sleep the night through. This has been going on for years with the knees. And now my hip is making itself known. I had a bladder tack a few years ago, and the doctor told me to not let my bladder become too full. Add that to the knees and hip at night and it's always a broken sleep! Have you tried OTC sleeping aids? I can't say they help too much, but sometimes they do. I tried Benedryl, unfortunately it just made my legs tingly. But, some on here have said it helped them sleep.
 
@sistersinhim
My PCP suggested Benedryl, but I haven't tried it. I feel like I am on too much medicine right now. And he also told me he thinks I have hip problem too. Getting foot checked 2-3 months after knee; don't know when I'll have time to get hips checked, but they said get knee fixed first. I'm off in about an hour for joint class. It's becoming real!
 
It is for pain and I've been super unsure to go ahead with it. So I've put it off each time it's mentioned. Thanks. I think I'll keep putting it off.
Well, so would I! :wink:
And he also told me he thinks I have hip problem too.
You know, it never fails to intrigue me how these chaps can get what I call "tunnel vision mentality" meaning they set their sights on one thing and never seem to be open to consider anything else!
 
Well, had the joint class - it went well; I could ask lots of questions; and I felt comfortable. They told me I would only be doing I think heel slides the first several days. Lots more to do and remember, all on a schedule. Stomach has gotten queasy, but I tell myself it's ok. Then I got home and was confronted with "I can't keep taking off work to take you to PT and appointments". Yeah, well I'll remember that the next time you are dying and demanding that I drop everything and take you to the doctor, yelling how it's my fault you need a doctor the whole time because you ignored the symptoms and pain. And then I'll play dumb and pretend I don't remember it ever happening. Yep, just like old times. Anyway, now I feel like cancelling and just continuing living with the pain. I had told the doctors all along I would not have the support I would need for this.

Anyway, also spoke with anesthesiologist - he said he wasn't trying to discourage me, but I had to understand there was going to be a lot of pain doing it this way, and I was going to have to walk on it. He said they would do what they could to manage the pain, but it will not be like what others have described. I will have general, and he knows about the problem I had with general in the past; a patch to help with nausea; a femur block, but not the kind that makes your leg like a useless piece of firewood; pills for various things before they knock me out; and prescriptions for afterward. The doctor also likes to use xarelto, which is a little expensive on my insurance plan, so they said he might just give me aspirin. YAY! My favorite candy! Not really favoring a Friday AND a holiday surgery, but that's when they do it at the surgery center. They will call me once a day to check up on me, and someone will be around all the time because it is a holiday weekend. Course, my mind is still telling me NOTHING can be as painful as the excruciating pain that wakes me up at 4AM and the cramping around my knees that comes at the same time and has me screaming/crying in pain because it won't go away and I can't move. Mind knows better, but I guess it's still somewhat in denial.

Got a setback, hopefully minor, yesterday in that they now want me to see a cardiologist due to EKG last month not being "quite normal", whatever that means. Tried to get former doctor to fax over previous 2 so they could be compared and golly, gee whiz, guess what? Former doctor has NO record of it, not even that he ordered one! I know there were 2 done. And I went to that doctor for 8 years. And they claim they don't know who did it and therefore, I never had it done.

Next appointment is with PCP next Wed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Many come home to no one at all there to help them. You will do fine with the little bit of a support system you have there. We girls are survivors! It sounds like everyone is trying to scare you and keep you from doing the surgery. I don't understand that. Until someone has knee problems they can't relate to what's happening to us.

About 5 years ago, my then OS whom I had been going to for years, retired. When I went to another doctor in his group for my yearly DB papers to be filled out, low and behold, they had no record of me. All my previous doctor's notes were gone! This man had done 3 of my most recent surgeries and there was no record of me ever being there. No wonder my doctor retired! They can only be as good as their office people can be. I have left good doctors because of record keeping mess ups. Keep your chin up and know you have lots of people here behind you! I pray everything turns out OK.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom