Guest viewing is limited

Right TKR scheduled for May 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sistersinhim
Thank you. I needed to hear some encouragement. I get all the time, "you lived in pain for 30 years, just live with it another 30". I was feeling pretty good about all this. Now, not so much. I always end up doing for myself; and I think I actually do better that way. I do have a daughter in law who will come over if I need her and I just love her! Only thing is, my 5 yr old granddaughter would have to come too, and I'm not sure I would be up to having a little one around.

New PCP is - well, we'll just use this one as baseline and go from here. I'm fine with that. But I am concerned the "blip" might be from the reaction I had with celebrex - it felt like something in my heart burst. It went away, but doctor told me not to take it anymore. Hasn't happened since, either. But no one knows exactly what the pain was.

Just getting cold feet, so to speak, I guess from it becoming more real now. Thanks again for the encouragement.
 
I always end up doing for myself; and I think I actually do better that way. I do have a daughter in law who will come over if I need her and I just love her! Only thing is, my 5 yr old granddaughter would have to come too, and I'm not sure I would be up to having a little one around.
I think you will be OK. I didn't need a lot of help - just someone to lift my operated leg back onto the bed for the first week and to stand close while I had a shower. You should be able to do things like getting out of bed, walking to the bathroom, dressing yourself, managing stairs before you are discharged from hospital.
It would be a good idea to pre-prepare and freeze some meals ahead of time. Hubby might be willing to prepare you a simple breakfast and leave you with a thermos of hot drink before he leaves for work. As long as you can phone someone in an emergency, you could probably then manage on your own at home.

Have you considered not sleeping in the marital bed for a while? Lots of people sleep elsewhere at first. I moved into the spare bedroom - so that I didn't disturb my husband with my sleepless nights and so that he couldn't unconsciously kick or hurt me while he was asleep. set up a littel nest somewhere that you can have everything you will need within easy reach.

I think it would be a good idea if your daughter-in-law could call in for a short while each day. I don't think you need to worry about your granddaughter, as long as she is prepared in advance. My little granddaughters (aged 4 and 2) were living with us when I had my last knee replacement. They were very solicitous of my new knee and constantly reminded each other to "mind Nana's sore knee". They were very good at fetch and carry, too, and liked being asked to do little things to help me.
Strangely, they asked to see my incision each morning, commenting things like, "That looks sore" or "that's looking a bit better."
 
The EKG blip can be related to the EKG machine, the placement of the leads or even if you move just a little bit while it was being taken. I would highly doubt that the Celebrex you took caused you any problems. Anxiety can cause people to have pains that can mimic cardiac pain.

I live alone and only have had someone around for the first week. You won't need to go anywhere for the first 2 or 3 weeks usually. You will probably have a home care nurse and physical therapist come work with you at home.

I always felt better sleeping in my recliner with three pillows stacked under my leg to elevate and ice. I like to sleep on my side and wasn't comfortable doing that right away. The other reason is that when I wake up at night I can watch tv or go on this forum. I have a bathroom within a few steps too.
 
@newlybionic @Celle
That''s a relief. Actually hubby sleeps on the sofa a lot. He wakes up after about an hour and moves out there. I know they said there were things I had to do before being discharged, so that should be ok. Granddaughter is not rough, just likes constant attention from Nana!

I did not know that about EKG's. I probably did move by breathing deeply! But they told me to make sure I tell the cardiologist about the celebrex incident. My first PT appointment is at the office. I was a little surprised by that, but I can deal, I guess. Might get my son to run me over and come back to pick me up instead of hubby. Son will be close by anyway at work. I might try the recliner though. That sounds like a plan. I am also a side sleeper. I'm supposed to have a CPM but they did not mention that at the class. However, the doctor's office called and said they are making all arrangements.

Thanks for the tidbits and reassurance. I can tell I am getting very nervous about things.
 
Maybe you can get some coloring books for you and her and let her sit on the floor next to your chair/bed and you can both color. 5 year olds can be very helpful. So let her have the crayons and even if you don't do much coloring yourself keep asking for different colors. You can also let her get you things like a drink or something to eat like sharing a cookie. Let her know you're hurt she can understand that.
 
Granddaughter is not rough, just likes constant attention from Nana!
This Nana was found to be very good at reading stories to the little ones while she was resting. So much so that, even 19 months later, they come to me with books in their hands.
 
I'm a side sleeper too and it got uncomfortable on my back. In the hospital the nursing assistants had a great way of propping me so I could kind of be on my side for a while until that got uncomfortable (not long). I remember apologizing for calling them to help me move around and the one said "that's ok, it's better for you than not moving at all."
Yes, reading time with grandma will be very special. And you could probably include a 5 year old in carrying ice packs to you.
 
By the second day in hospital, the staff were helping me to lie on my "good" side occasionally, with a pillow between my legs (that also supported my TKR knee ) and a pillow behind my back. It was good to be able to lie in a different position for a while.
 
No you mustn't live with pain another 30 years! You sound like a very independent lady, you will find a way through this.
Just thinking about your thyroid symptoms, I wonder if you have come across a book called Stop the thyroid madness by Janie A Bowthorpe. Quite thought provoking on the whole thyroid issue.
I really understand your nervousness too, having just been through this. It's normal, just not nice, but after the surgery guess what, that nervous anticipation is gone!
All the best,
Love, Tabbs :kittykiss:
 
@Tabbycat
I have come across the thyroid book online, and have gone to their website. It's been a while though, so I probably should go back to re-read things. I feel overwhelmed with everything that needs to be checked out by doctors. It's not only getting expensive, but I don't seem to have the time to go here, there, everywhere to see a different doctor for every little thing. I wish the ortho docs could let me see just one instead of having to see 3-4 depending on the body part. Five appointments just this month is driving me crazy. I normally try to get first thing in the morning appts, but this time around I'm getting afternoon, 'cause they may last longer and I won't need to come back to work. Well, I don't WANT to come back! I have one more week to work my second job. Then I get to go home at a more normal time. Right now I feel kind of numb from the dizzy medicine. It's a good thing I can basically just sit here and chill.

I hope everything is going well for you. When I see how you and others have managed, I think, YES, I can do this! And when I think back to a couple other surgeries I had and what the problems were, I think - I need to remember that!
 
Knee is not behaving well today, and one of my CTR hands is hurting. Weather suddenly got cold last night, so hoping that's all it is.
 
I know what you mean about seeing lots of doctors, we are not a collection of bits, we are a whole person and many problems are interlinked. I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed at the moment. Thinking of you and hoping you will be in less pain.
Love, Tabbs xxx
 
Maybe you could ask your granddaughter if she wants to be a nurse when she grows up. Then she could begin with taking care of you. Everyone wants to be needed and that's one way to help her help you. Coloring books are a good idea, too. I even have bought some for me! I just have to get a lap tray now. Always something!

I'm going to set up my nest at my recliner. After my shoulder surgery I slept in it for a few weeks and did pretty well. I can even kinda lay on one butt cheek or the other every so often. It helps. I also bought the wedge that was recommended on this site to elevate my leg. The more prepared you are, the better you'll feel. But, I'm getting really anxious, too! I have had tons of surgeries through the years, but this one will be different. I'll be glad when it's over for all of us!
 
@sistersinhim
I had not thought about that. I did not become a nurse for a reason! I volunteered in the local hospital for 3 years, but although I enjoyed it, I knew the floor work was not for me. I preferred the admissions office! She likes to color and I keep a princess book and markers handy for her. I just tear the pages out so she doesn't go through the whole book at once. Her favorite thing is to put a 500 piece puzzle of a sheltie together with me! She can now actually collect the outside edges and put several of the pieces together herself, and I always save the last one for her so she can claim she "finished" it.

I'm debating the living room or the bedroom, but in reality, it'll probably be both. It's a one story ranch, so pretty easy to get around. I don't really like staying in one place too long. And this surgery sure will be different than the others! I thought the c-section pain was bad when they did not give my anything for the pain. And then I thought the hysterectomy was bad when the drip thingy was actually keeping the floor pain free and not me! But I think I'm understanding how to keep the pain from getting too bad and I "practiced" with the CTR surgery I had and kept on top of it. So hopefully I will be of sound mind and can stay on top of things. It still scares me though. But everyone says we all get scared, so I'm trying to take it in stride. Biggest thing now is keeping all the pre-op appointments straight! Makes my head spin thinking about them!
 
So in reading the booklet I got from the surgery center, I think my doctor subscribes to the treatment you guys have listed. And I think I see an advantage to a holiday weekend surgery! No one will be touching my knee or making me do anything with it (except me, of course!). So I will have 4 days of just resting and moving around as I see fit. But I do have one question: It says not to buy anything until I've seen someone from physical therapy. My first PT visit is not until Tuesday, the 31st. Isn't that a little late to be thinking about buying anything I might need? Unless they are talking about the PT I get just to be released. I've gotten most of the little things they said - new bath scrunchies for each shower with the antibacterial stuff before surgery; colace; still need to get the vitamins. Will borrow the body pillow I made my son. He says there's not enough stuffing in it! I think there may be enough for me to use for my knee; then I'll fix it for him. He has a bean bag chair too that I might find useful. Can't get the prescriptions yet. Hope they aren't too awful expensive.
 
Depending upon your insurance it may pay for either a walker, crutches or a cane. Medicare will only pay for one of those. They can be delivered to the hospital. I know that in my area most people are told to use a walker in the beginning until the physical therapist has decided that you can move to a cane. Personally I'm not very good with crutches so I used a walker at first. The first time I used it for about 5 weeks the first time but only needed it for 1 week the second time. The physical therapist needs to adjust both so that they are the right height for you. So if you already have a walker or crutches you want to use put a label on them and have someone bring it to the hospital for you. If your not sure what to use you could always give the OS office a call and see what they recommend . I hope this helps.
 
@newlybionic
Thanks - I was wondering how I would know what I would need well after the fact. I guess they determine that before releasing me. Insurance has told me they pay for whatever I need, but I did have a case with a tens unit that the medical company would not follow instructions for filing the claim, so it got denied. Day after tomorrow is pre-op with PCP. I'm hoping they don't keep me as long as they did last month. I'll probably get nervous again then. Right now I'm just chillin'!
 
I totally understand your nerves-I try to distance myself from the reality to keep them at bay, but it's hard, isn't it? I don't know how your insurance works, but my doctor always orders all the DME and prescriptions before discharge. Hubby picks up all the meds in the hospital pharmacy while I'm getting ready to go, and the different companies handle all the equipment I need. Some deliver to my house, some to me at the hospital, the hospital PT will provide some equipment like a walker, etc, if I need them, and I believe the home PT may have brought some things also. Even the home nurse brings things like a new thermometer, etc. My hospital also gives patients a package containing earplugs, eye mask, toiletries, hand sanitizer, pen, paper, etc, in the hospital room. So, I'd wait to see what they do before buying a lot of stuff. You can always order from Amazon after you get home if you find you still need something.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom