Guest viewing is limited

Right TKR scheduled for May 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sistersinhim
The heart doctor would not let me do the treadmill part of the stress test, even though I told him I could. So he ordered the "chemical" stress test. They told me I would have a funny taste or smell almost immediately, and I did. Then the shoulder started to experience excruciating pain. Next was the nausea, then the headache, then the neck pain that became excruciating, then the stomach cramping that was the most intense I think I've ever had! It did go away pretty quickly, but I still felt kind of funny/weak for a while. They asked if I had chest pain, and I told them I didn't know - I was too focused on the shoulder! Really don't want to do that again. The camera takes pictures after you take the chemicals to compare with the ones taken before you had the chemicals. Have not heard the results of the test, so I asked the PA at my pre-op appt yesterday. She went over it with me and explained that they said "possible heart attack" due to the abnormal EKG. The stress test was normal, and I was classified as low risk for heart problems during surgery. Now to find out if insurance is going to pay for it. I don't have a code, so insurance won't tell me.

I now am the proud owner of a walker and ice machine. I have a CPM for rent for 3 weeks. I turned down the leg wraps as they were another $200 out of my pocket, and they said they were optional. So I agreed they could remain optional! Only give me the stuff insurance will/has paid for. Not going through that again either. Then I get a call from the pharmacy for the 1 medicine that was called in. Tier 3 at $90! I asked the pharmacy to call and get the tier 1 - $20 version. Next thing I know, I have a msg from dr office saying I HAVE to have that medicine - it is REQUIRED. I called back and told them I wanted the cheaper generic option. They were like oh - yeah, we can do that. The pharmacy apparently has a note in my file and always calls when a medicine is priced too high. Otherwise I get a text from them that it's ready. Pharmacy takes care of me! And the medicine was only $6.50!!

They wouldn't let me see the dr, even though they said I could. And they said he wouldn't drain my knee again this close to surgery. Sure would relieve a lot of the pain if he would, especially since they said I can't have anything for pain now except tylenol, which does nothing for me. The pocket of fluid is keeping me from bending it much and the pain is going up my thigh. I suppose I can tolerate it for one more week, although I fail to understand how that pocket will not keep collecting fluid after surgery.

Getting closer to being real! Bad part will be the rest of the prescriptions won't be given to me until I leave the surgery center and I will have to AGAIN wait in line for about an hour after just having surgery to get them filled. And they will not take me first even though they can see I've just had surgery. Not my idea of fun.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have anyone else that can fill the prescriptions for you? My daughter was able to that she just had to show her drivers license to get them. I didn't get the pain med prescriptions until I was leaving because they weren't sure which pain meds would work for me. Have you tried elevating and icing your knee now? It might help with the swelling a bit. My old knee has been swelling lately and I've been doing that to help the swelling.
 
@newlybionic
Thinking about trying out my new ice thingy when I get home today. I would imagine someone could get them if I give them cash. They can't use my flex card. Have to figure out who can get them and is willing to wait. Thing is, I have no clue how much they will cost. Can't handle any tier 3's.
 
With my insurance I had trouble getting a pain med called Nucynta because it was not in the formulary. I know someone else had a problem like that. The other ones I had were all generic. You can have the social worker in the hospital check it out for you before you leave so you will have prescriptions that work for you and can afford. You can call your OS and try to get a script before hand by telling them you would have no one to get them for you.
 
@newlybionic
I already mentioned that - they said no go. I get them after surgery is done. But...... I do have the formulary in my phone! That's how I knew there was a generic for the ointment, so I asked the pharmacy.
 
@sistersinhim
[What do you think made the shoulder hurt? Did you actually do the walking or did you have the shot instead? What were the pictures for? You can tell I've never had one. I don't think my knees could handle it.]

I don't think I ever answered your question. As soon as they gave me the chemical, I felt the bad taste, but then the shoulder really started hurting. So it was the shot. For the most part, they said it was all normal to feel these things. The camera took pictures of my heart before and after the chemical to have a comparison. Got results posted over the weekend - everything is normal. They would not allow me to walk on the treadmill because of my knee. Something I noticed on the results, though. The chemical got my heart rate up to 123. I got my heart rate up to 117 on the treadmill at home. So maybe I would not have been able to get it high enough had they let me do the treadmill. Still didn't like the chemical though.

I tried out my ice thingy. It has a gel pack, and it was COLD! Didn't think I'd be able to keep it on for 20 minutes like it said, but I ended up keeping it on for 30. Unfortunately, it does not get the swelling from the fluid pocket down. But I think it will work fine on swelling from surgery. It has a pump to put pressure on my knee, but I didn't feel anything when I pumped it up. It warns you not to pump to much, so maybe I didn't go high enough with it.

I got the ointment they want me to put in my nose.... and right on the box, it says NOT to use in nose! Now what? The other stuff is a tier 3 and I don't have the money for tier 3 medicines. Don't get paid til the 31st either. So I guess I use it. This has really been a roller coaster adventure.

Also tried out the CPM - it was too slow, so I put it all the way fast. Still too slow. Maybe that's because I haven't had surgery yet?? Just like the exercises are too easy right now?? Hubby asked if the CPM was going to stay on the bed. I said yep! He said then I can't be in here. I said you aren't anyway, what's the problem? (He gets up every night about 2 hours after he comes to bed to sleep on the sofa. Go figure!) Anyway, I only get to use it for 3 weeks. Will try to get son to take it back for me so I don't get charged extra fees. He's usually home early enough to run by there before they close.

Well, the countdown has started!
 
Also tried out the CPM - it was too slow, so I put it all the way fast. Still too slow. Maybe that's because I haven't had surgery yet??
CPM's do move slowly---the passive movement is gentle and slow and is supposed to help---I did not use one, as my OS did not think that they worked.
 
I also didn't have the CPM machine either time. Did you put something on your knee between the part that went around your knee and the ice machine wrap? That can make the cold be more comfortable for you.
 
@newlybionic
I had my jeans on, but you're really supposed to use the thin "sock" they provide. It will probably feel super good after surgery. The gel pack actually felt cold before I even put it in the freezer.
 
I tried out my ice thingy. It has a gel pack, and it was COLD! Didn't think I'd be able to keep it on for 20 minutes like it said, but I ended up keeping it on for 30.

Did you put something on your knee between the part that went around your knee and the ice machine wrap?
Yes---if you put a towel or a cloth between your leg and the ice pack, you can ice for long periods of time!
 
I had one after my shoulder surgery and it worked great at helping to reduce the pain. I still have it and plan on using it on the knee along with ice pacts at other times. Ice has proven to me that it helps.

That chemical stress test really sounds scary. Evidently the camera somehow measures how efficiently it's beating. Wonderful that you passed it! Your new knee is just around the corner!
 
My surgeon told me I only needed 2 weeks off work...he iscamwell respected surgeon and does many TKR...after reading so many stories in this forum I'm starting to question that....I see him again next week will discuss further...good luck with your surgery @birdwatchr
 
@uva55 - It's obvious that your surgeon has not had a knee replacement himself. At 2 weeks after surgery, you will still be spending most of your time resting, on heavy pain medications, feeling incredibly tired, and suffering from brain fog from the narcotics. Your knee will still be in the very early stage of healing and anything like going back to work will set back its progress.

Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year, although you will be able to do most things by about 3 months. We recommend 12 weeks off work, and then a Phased return to work .

This article give you some guidance about what you should expect to be doing in the early stages of recovery.
Activity progression for TKRs

I do wish surgeons didn't tell people things like he told you. It gives you unrealistic expectations, which lead to frustration and worry.
 
I'm going to speak to him about it next week because I will have to make different arrangements at work
 
The saga continues..... did I say real life is stranger than fiction????? So as of Sunday night, I suddenly developed a bladder infection! Managed to get through yesterday, but after I got home, the pain was too much. Found an urgent care clinic open that takes my insuance, and after 2 hours, was released with 2 prescriptions called in. Went to pick them up and there was NO record of them. Called the clinic and they actually answered the phone at one minute before closing! They sent the prescriptions to a pharmacy we NEVER use, and I verified that they sent it to the correct one before I left! They did get it called in - had to wait another 30 minutes, but am feeling much better now! I told the doctor I had a urine culture just 10 days ago and it was clean.... he said things happen fast! That sure was true in this case. Still can't figure out how.

@uva55
Thanks! Getting more nervous as the time passes, but hoping the pain will truly go away. In the case of my hands, I actually have more pain than I had before surgery. That also supposedly takes upwards of a year to clear up.

Trying to stay busy at work. Most of my work is done. They will probably send me upstairs after today to finish out the week. They don't like anyone else filing except me, so I hope they have it where I can sit.

To be continued......
 
I think the stress of the upcoming surgery is playing havoc with our bodies. I never had high BP before and now I do. And now I am concerned every time I get around someone that's coughing or sneezing. Oh, and the fear of one of my cats scratching my leg and me having an opened sore on it. All these things going on in my mind make it so hard to relax. Reading is pretty much the only escape I get. TV does little to 'get me away from it'!
 
Hang in there. The last days of waiting seem to go on forever. Do you best to relax ( I know it's hard) now. You're ready and soon you will be on your way.
 
How does anyone get through the pain during the last 2 weeks when you are not allowed to take anything? It's been very rough. My whole body is hurting. Tylenol does not work for me.

@sistersinhim
You know, my blood pressure was really high when I saw the heart doctor, and it seems somewhere else recently. But at the walk in clinic, it was a LOT lower. Sometimes I wonder if it is their equipment or the way they do it. When she used the automatic one (on both arms) she couldn't get a reading at all. I'm sitting there thinking, have I died and I don't realize it yet? (LOL) So she had to do it the old fashioned way. And it was actually a little below normal for me. My machine at home always registers lower than the doctor office too, but I figure that's to be expected. Home machines have the reputation of not being as accurate. But.... I'm pain free in one area now!

@newlybionic
Just two more days - I've decided it's a good thing I decided to have it done the day after school is out so I don't have a lot of thinking about it at home! But the nerves! They are really acting up! Stomach has been queasy for so long now.
 
How does anyone get through the pain during the last 2 weeks when you are not allowed to take anything? It's been very rough. My whole body is hurting. Tylenol does not work for me.

I totally understand, they told me no pain meds for 30 days prior to surgery, only Tylenol which does not work for me neither, when my knee hurts I limp which aggravates my back, and I work 10 hour days....fun times!! You are almost there, I still have a couple of weeks!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom