Guest viewing is limited

Right TKR scheduled for May 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potatoes and melons are also high in potassium. Check online for a list of other high potassium foods. My potassium dropped so low my heart went into fibrillation and had to be shocked to get it back in rhythm. Ended up having an defibrillator implanted in my chest to guard against a repeat of that. So I learned to eat a high potassium diet. Good luck with getting your level up.
 
@Celle @SassyGirl
Bananas and orange juice tend to upset my stomach. I have loaded up on potatoes this weekend, however, I have already been told I won't be cleared for surgery because of it. This has been an ongoing problem for many years, and has been well documented for the past 5. NOW they see it as a problem, after not listening to me all this time, that I still have cramping in my legs, feet, toes, hands, and fingers. This is one reason why my last PCP was fired. We shall see what comes next. Did I mention they don't listen to me? And they wonder why I didn't see them for over 10 years for any problem whatsoever. I've pretty much run out of doctors in the area to try. I am very frustrated.
 
The problem now is that Potassium levels do affect your heart function. You can lead your everyday life without much of a problem, but add the stress of anesthetic and surgery, and your heart could start doing whacky things. That's about the last thing you or the doctors want during your surgery - and that's why you can't be cleared for surgery until the numbers are right.
 
@Celle
Cardiologist was more concerned over blood pressure - this stress has raised it, plus it's usually higher in dr office anyway. He said potassium was only 1/10 off - was fine. Now I have to have a chemical stress test and they will not get the results in time, so I will not be cleared. I can kiss this surgery good bye. If I am not cleared by Thursday at 2, they are cancelling.
 
Oh man, what luck. My BP went way up at the PCP's office and from what I understand from replies here, it's pretty normal for the BP to go up before a TKR. It's so much to worry about and do before we go through this surgery. But, once you're cleared you can always reschedule. A postponement doesn't mean it won't ever happen!
 
@sistersinhim
Well, like I told the cardiologist, if I have to reschedule, then I have to wait until next summer. This was all carefully planned out back in December to have the surgery the day after school let out so I would have the whole entire 2 months for recovery. I can't take off from work, and I had a hard time waiting 6 months. I can't make it another whole year. So he rushed the stress test. But results won't be available for a week and I need them in 2 days. Ortho doc did not require stress test either, so maybe I won't really need the results, but I don't know.
 
What a pain in the butt to have to happen right now. If only you could have taken that test a month ago. Just maybe, though, your doctor can rush the results through. Or maybe if no red flags show up you can go ahead and do the surgery.
 
It's a worry and a real pain, but it is worthwhile having these tests.
It's far better to find everything out now than for you to have a crisis half way through your operation.
 
Just think that they are trying to be cautious. Potassium does affect heart rhythms. I think your cardiologists has the right idea that if it's off by a tenth that it's not a big worry. My blood pressure was up when I had my pre op for my revision. I was lucky that my PCP knows maybe very well and I never had that problem before and he also understood how high my anxiety level was going into another TKRon the same knee.

Potassium also comes in a liquid form that has to be added to s fluid so you then can drink it instead of those extremely large pills. Maybe you can get your PCP to write a script for it in that form.
 
@sistersinhim @Celle @newlybionic
I can understand the being cautious, but here's what ticks me off so much: They knew the first week of April that the EKG was not "normal" and they knew the first week of April that I was having my knee done in May. They could have arranged the heart doctor stuff the first week of May; instead they waited until the middle of May, and there was not enough time. I've put too much into this for it to be cancelled at the last minute due to someone's whatever you want to call it. The surgeon did not require any of these tests, so all I could go on was the list I have from the surgeon. It has not gone smoothly from the start, even though all involved knew when the surgery was to be done. I'm beginning to think I'm just not supposed to have this surgery.

I would like to thank you for your encouragement. It's not that I don't think it's needed or anything like that; I am just really mad about the thoughtless planning on the part of others and that I had to depend on them and they did not follow through in a timely manner. Had I know it was a "major" problem, I would have scheduled the appointments myself. I was led to believe it was all relatively minor. And considering I just had 2 surgeries within the past 6 months and had no problems, with me not being a medical person, I didn't think it would be such a major big deal.
 
I know exactly what you are saying. It's like the old saying, "If you want something done right, do it yourself!"! You are unfortunately the only one you can really count on getting things done in a timely matter. It seems like everybody puts things off unless it pertains to them personally. And why do we have to go through all these extra tests? Not counting my knees, I've had 4 other surgeries and never had to go through so much pretesting. If a TKR is the most successfully done surgery, then why are the doctors so afraid? Could it be they are just helping others' paychecks, too. Sorry, guess I'm becoming cynical in my older age! Birdwatchr, hang in there. Take a deep breath and try to find a crazy book to read or movie to watch. Try to shutout everything negative for a while.
 
@sistersinhim
OK - real life really is stranger than fiction! The camera broke right before they were to take me in to get the first set of pictures done! Nothing like making my stress level go even higher on a stress test! So..... I took that deep breath and got out my phone and starting texting my younger son. FIVE hours later I am back at work. And you do feel pain with it. My left shoulder starting having excruciating pain and then the headache and neck pain started. They asked if I had any chest pain. I told them I was too focused on the shoulder pain to notice! BUT.... they had as diagnosis code for the reason this was being done - pre-op AND possible myocardial infarction. I looked it up (while I was taking that deep breath) and saw it meant heart attack. Now where did they get the idea I've had a heart attack? Still not cleared for surgery yet. Don't know where this is going. But right at this moment I'm at peace. If I can't have the surgery, then so be it. Then I found out that the nurse staying with me was the parent of a former student I had whose grand-dad shot and killed him. I usually do the school award for his memory each year, but couldn't this year since awards were today. We shared our memories of him (he was autistic) and had a lot of laughs over other things. She also had surgery done on her knee by the same surgeon I have and loved him. I also just got a message from my PCP and they have called the heart doctor and will call the surgeon to explain what is happening. So maybe it will work out after all. But I'm telling myself to stress no more over this. It is what it is and if it doesn't happen, ok.
 
You've done all you can. I just hope and pray that everything goes right for you from now on. :friends:
 
What do you think made the shoulder hurt? Did you actually do the walking or did you have the shot instead? What were the pictures for? You can tell I've never had one. I don't think my knees could handle it.

We have an slightly autistic 35 year old in my SS class and he also lives right across the street. In some ways he normal, but in others he's like a 13 year old. He has a heart of gold and really loves God. You can see it on his face when he worships Him! But, if you change his routine, watch out.

You have the right idea to relax and take whatever happens. If it's meant to be right now, then it will. I go for my pre-op tests Monday which includes an EEG, so anything could throw a wrench in my plans, too. And of course, there's still my mouth that might not heal in time. What will be, will be! Who knows, maybe we'll even end up having ours at the same time! Whenever, we'll be here to help each other.
 
@Celle @sistersinhim and everyone!
I'VE BEEN CLEARED!! I'VE BEEN CLEARED!!!

Got the call from both doctors at about 4 pm yesterday. YAY!!! I can go to today's pre-op relatively stress free! Boy, after the camera broke right before my turn yesterday, I had pretty much given up. The doctors really went to bat for me and had this final test expedited.

Now I can relax. Maybe. So to speak. You guys know what I mean! Thanks to all for your encouragement and support.
 
:yay::cheers: That's great news. I'm very happy that you won't have to postpone your surgery. Now you can relax a bit and be ready for the next step on your way to a knee without arthritis!
 
This has certainly been a struggle! Congrats on being on step closer to a pain free life!
 
That is good news, I can tell you are relieved! We'll be here to support you through the surgery and into recovery.
All the best,
Love Tabby xxx
 
Hip, hip hurray!! It has all worked out for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom