Guest viewing is limited

Right TKR scheduled for May 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent, keep after them until you receive answers to your questions.
 
I couldn't read at all! It took about three months before I could concentrate enough to read.

Do you teach? You mentioned a principal so I wondered. I teach first grade and enough sick days, but can't you take an FMLA?
 
I don't teach, except in after school program. FMLA, as I understand it, is unpaid and you still have to pay your insurance coverage. I can't afford unpaid leave. Last time I had a leave for surgery, the company cancelled my insurance, and when I argued that they couldn't do that, they replied "We're XYZ Company and we can do anything we want". Which was their standard answer to everything and the reason why my surgery was cancelled, then rescheduled. They said the problem was "pre-existing" when I had never been to a doctor until then.

Been wondering if my brain would want to focus on anything after surgery. Even with carpal tunnel surgery, the second pain pill made me slightly dizzy and I just wanted to lay down for a while.

Also wondering what makes my knees wake me up with excruciating pain when I am just sleeping and laying in bed. Both knees hurt with the same amount of pain, in the same spot, even though the left is supposedly my "good" knee. Hoping my left knee will not need surgery, although I've been told my foot will, and now my hips "have a problem and need to be seen by a specialist". Whoever said getting old was the "golden years" must have never gotten old themselves!
 
So frustrated. I am STILL not on the surgery center's schedule, so cannot find out ANY information on the joint class, cost, ANYTHING. Doctor's office says surgery center will call, but how can they when I am not on schedule? Surgery center said I should be on the schedule by now. Joint center teacher supposedly will work with me one on one, but when???? Surgery is 4 weeks away, and I don't know what they are waiting for. It is too late to go elsewhere and get it for the same (or close enough) date.
 
I was lucky---I taught in
Ohio, where public school teachers can accumulate 15 sick days a year---and they add up. I was maxed out at 280 when I had my BTKR.

I went back to the classroom too early---I should have used more.
 
In PA an FMLA does go without pay, however I believe you still have health insurance for 12 weeks. I was in the same position as Tim, except I had 180 sick days. I always wanted enough to get me through a whole year if needed. In the end I used 60 days with my TKR, but I'm retiring this year with 126 sick days.
 
Finally got put on the schedule at the surgery center. I was prepared to cancel the whole thing. Joint class next week, then PCP the following week. Week after that the pre-op visit. Guess I'm as prepared as I ever will be. Was told yesterday that I have a good attitude for this and will do fine!

Also, that horribly infected knee of an acquaintance is looking better, although he says it still hurts a ton.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My surgery is scheduled for June 2, so I'll be right behind you. You had an aggravating time trying to get things going for your 'day'. Thank the Lord it's finally moving along for you.

I've been thinking about getting some of those grownup coloring books with coloring pencils. I have seen them at Walmart. I have a Kindle with loads of books, but I doubt I'll have enough brain to read as long as I'm on strong meds. Some of the older ladies at church say it's really relaxing to color, so why not try! It won't take a mind to do that!

I, too, get very sick after GA. My OS will be using sedation and a spinal. He said I might still get sick, but it won't be as bad as the after effects of being put out. Maybe you could ask about having that instead of a general. I won't have to take blood thinners just aspirin! That was wonderful news! And if things go as planned I'll stay just one night.
 
@sistersinhim
I was given a coloring book for Christmas. I loved it. I prefer markers because they are brighter, but they tend to bleed through if there are pictures on the other side. Colored pencils are harder for me to use due to slight atrophy from carpal tunnel, but I used them some. Some of the books have really tiny lined areas that are hard to color though, so I always look through the book for too much of that. I'm looking for a "quilt" pattern book now to color. I found an afghan picture online that I could print, so maybe I'll find a quilt one of two and experiment with colors.

In a way I am looking forward to surgery now. I really resisted all last year, but I had to be sure nothing else would work. Not looking forward so much to the workouts, but I feel I am prepared as much as I can be. I walk a treadmill some. I read that you should do more speedwork than inclines on the treadmill, but I can't do speedwork. I can still do inclines if I take it slow enough. And I know when to stop. I got on once and was off in exactly 1 minute and 28 seconds! I will never forget that time! It hurt so bad just to walk slowly that day.

Hopefully everything will fall into place for all of us having scheduling problems. I now feel like it is going to finally happen!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a recumbent bike to help and strengthen my legs. I've had two different treadmills and ended up selling one and putting the other one in the shed. I have to hold on to both handles and walk slowly. After just a few minutes my back starts to hurt because the bars are too low and I have to stoop to walk. Not good! I try to ride my outside bike as often as I can, but not as much as I'd like to because of the knee pains.

It sounds like you've already tried coloring. I'll pick up a couple when I shop next. Each week it's something different preparing for my S day! I'm in the process now of having dental work done and then on the 9th I'll see my primary for my medical clearance exam. My per-operative class and testing will be on the 23rd. I'm a cat rescuer and I have to make sure the ones that need their shots and exams during the 6-week period after my surgery get them ahead of time since I won't be driving. No wonder time is flying, there's so much to do! Someone on the forum suggested I get some protein drinks for after the surgery to aid with healing. I normally can't eat for a few weeks afterward anyway, so it'll be good to have them on hand. Sam's has them on sale in May, just in time!
 
@sistersinhim
I wanted a bike, but hubby said treadmill. I can occasionally walk on it without holding on. I try for 2 minute periods. I just can't do speedwork, but I can do inclines. Sometimes I do flat work when it hurts a little more, cutting back on the time/mileage. Certain days of the week have me hurting more due to my second job where I need to stand for 2 hours, so I can count on short workouts or rest days on Tuesdays and Fridays.

I'm having my dental stuff done on the 12th. He really wants to do the x-rays this visit. Haven't had any problems with teeth in quite a while. I had one keep breaking and chipping, but he has fixed that and it's doing ok.

Joint class is in 2 days; pre-op with PCP is next week, then pre-op with surgeon on the 19th. Good thing I still have work through then. I think I'd go crazy thinking about all this if I didn't!

@Poppa don
You will be just ahead of me! You have extra summer days though. We go back on August 1st this year. Thank goodness it's not the last week of July like the last 2 years! I'm originally from the north, so I still can't get used to school starting in July/August down here. I grew up with school starting after Labor Day! Only 4 more weeks. But I will keep people fooled! Am I counting down to the last day of school or surgery?????
 
You don't have to do a lot or any PT to get moving. After my recent surgery I have done things the bonesmart way and iced and elevated my knee most of the day except to get to the bathroom and back and a few heel slides. I'm actually getting around quite well and my range of motion is much better than my first surgery. I found it easier to read magazines and short news articles and I also had movies I could watch. There are a lot of us who have done well this way. After my first surgery I 'worked hard' in therapy and had more pain and swelling a poor range of motion. So relax you'll do just fine.
 
@newlybionic
I'm thinking I'll be back to where I was on the treadmill a year ago - but I am glad I built up and got a little more flexible before surgery. I'm thinking that alone will help! Thanks! I do get antsy when I can't move/get about. I don't know what to do with myself when I am stuck in "cabin fever" mode. On the other hand, I do have days where the lack of sleep (like yesterday) makes me stay in bed longer and just move around the house to be moving, then go back to bed. There is no way I can focus on anything during those times. At work on those type of days, I just say "fair warning. I'm not moving/doing much today". LOL
 
Question about walker vs crutches vs cane: I have been using a cane for a long time now, but my problem is I use it more for my left foot than my right knee. So after surgery on my right knee, which would be better to use, considering I will still have a problem with my left foot (and sometimes left knee)? Also, we have crutches at home. A walker will not work in my house, especially in bathroom. It is too narrow. Additionally, I had 2 carpal tunnel surgeries in the last 5 months.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It didn't take long (a couple of weeks for knee #1 and only a couple of days for knee #2) for me to be able to switch to a cane, but you'll definitely need more than a cane to begin with, especially with your problems on the other side. If a walker won't work in your bathroom, then it will have to be crutches in there. Or a bedside toilet until you graduate to the cane.

But, can you use a walker in some of the other areas of your home? I had a multi-level home the first time around so kept a walker both upstairs and down. Do you have someone who can take the walker up and down for you, or can you borrow a second one?

I feel like a walker would be easier on your hands, too.

Even if you don't use a walker for the bathroom, could it be helpful to get from a living area to the kitchen, perhaps. Crutches are a less friendly way to transport small things, but you can buy little tote bags that attach to a walker. I bought an inexpensive one that I used to transport a water bottle, my phone, my meds and my lap top. If that won't work at all and you do end up using just crutches, you might consider a small backpack. (Yeah, I got off on a tangent, didn't I - you didn't ask about transporting things.)
 
I used two sticks from the beginning, then one on opposite side to TKR, then none. I wasn't bored for quite a while as I was glad to sleep, and found it hard to keep awake for quite some time, as I didn't sleep well at night. I hope you get on OK with your op.
 
@GimpyGal Actually.... didn't think about toting things around, so good advice! Don't have steps except on the deck outside. I figure I can practice steps out there to the bird feeder when I'm ready. In fact, before I had the last hand surgery I specifically asked about using my hands for this surgery. He thought I would be ok, but I still have pain shooting through if I hit the incision area just right. So... I guess a walker will be it then. Wasn't sure what would be better for the hands.
 
I had carpal tunnel surgery in October at the same time as a scar clean-up surgery on my knee. They gave me a walker that's used by leaning on your forearms instead of your hands. It worked quite well. I'm having my knee surgery in two weeks and am having the left carpal tunnel release at the same time; I'll use the same walker for a while. I know what you mean about the pain still shooting through-if I lean on or hit one certain area on my right palm, I still get pain shooting through, so I try to avoid that area. Sure makes it tough to get out of the bathtub considering I have a bum knee, so I have to maneuver carefully to get up and avoid falling back down. (I hate showers and only take them when I have to) My OS assures me this will eventually resolve.

I also understand trying to use a walker in a small home-I have the same problem. I can use it most places, being very careful as we have carpet in almost every room, but it doesn't fit into my small back bathroom so that is a bit difficult. Luckily I can get to the doorway, turn around and kind of pivot myself to the toilet and sink. I went to a cane as soon as possible after my TKR-I think I used crutches for a bit but may not have-I really don't remember. Crutches and I aren't friends-I don't do well on them and have fallen more than once while using them. But I did use a cane fairly soon as it was easier for me to get around with than the walker. It works better in my home plus frees up a hand to carry stuff, etc. Your doctor will tell you what he wants you to use, at least at first. Mine wanted me on a walker for a longer time than I ended up using it after my TKR.

My in home PT recommended I go to a cane at some point and he agreed. I remember trying to go up and down my steps into the house and off my deck into the backyard with a walker...it's larger than the steps so I avoided doing that except when absolutely necessary as it wasn't very safe. My PT did help me figure out ways to use the walker in the house, and on the steps, although she made sure I knew to have someone right there to help every time to avoid the walker slipping off the steps.
 
@lovetocookandsew Yeah, my first carpal tunnel was October; the second February. Baths are out of the question, even though I still have a good bit of flexibility when walking. Neither hand can push up on the sides of the tub from that low sitting and I cannot bend my right knee far enough back to get leverage. Left knee is going out too, and does not have the strength to push up from that low. Pinched nerves in lower back and neck have taken their toll. Hands now have atrophy due to me putting off surgery for 30 years. (Actually heard more horror stories of CTR than TKR! Go figure!) Probably have some atrophy starting in legs now. I was afraid crutches may not work, but hubby says he has them, and apparently wants me to use them. Don't think he really understands what is involved with this. Hand surgery was a breeze in a lot of ways, and foot doctor has already told me if I think my knee surgery will be painful, foot surgery is even MORE painful. although he's not sure I will need surgery yet. Getting CT scan after knee is done. Helps to get other opinions and what you guys did to get around - what worked for you all.
 
I have to scoot all the way back in the tub, make a fist with my right hand so as to avoid the spot that still hurts with pressure, then put both hands on the back ledge against the wall and push up. I use my left leg to stand, as my right one won't cooperate. Last night as I was getting out of the tub, I had the thought that I need one of those old people's tubs with the doors...lol. Getting older and having body parts not function well really sucks.

Personally, IMHO, it doesn't matter what "hubby" wants you to use, what matters is what you are comfortable with and what works for you along with what your OS wants you to use. My husband kept telling me I "should" be on such and such number when using the CPM machine-I told him many times I was on numbers where I was comfortable, and him saying I "should push myself a lot more" was not helpful nor correct, so I finally told him to butt out. He has never had a TKR, so his advice is not only useless, it was also wrong and unwanted. It seems to me that most men want to fix everything, including us. (On a humorous aside-he kept telling me he had the Time-Life book of home surgery and could fix my knee if I'd let him) Anyway, knee advice from your OS and this site is useful; from hubby it's generally not, unless he's been there. I'd tell him you need his support, but you'll do what works best for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom