TKR Right TKR is done

@amymj, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. How wonderful that you get to go first - your dr. will be fresh and you won't have to be caffeine-free for so long. Good luck!
 
Got thru surgery fine. It was a little different than last time. But. I'm not complaining.
I got up to walk today and then after I had used the cpm machine had the catheter taken out and went potty

I am major stiff and more of an achy pain that pain. Dr did put a wound vac on the incision and used staples instead of a zip line. Dr says everything was as expected so there were not any surprises. I find it interesting that the pt that came was doing training internship here and he got to watch my surgery. He will certainly have a better apprecation for working with tkr patients.
Looks like Thursday before I go home. It would be good to go home to rest and let the work begin of healing.
You can change my thread to: Right tkr is done. Thank you!
 
@GingerP, way to go! I'm done too and ready to move on. Try to get some sleep.
 
Yay, Ginger! That right knee is finally done! I'm surprised to hear your OS put a wound vac on you. Is this something he normally does or is it just because of your history?

I'm wishing you the best of recoveries! You have been through enough!
 
Hurray! The second knee is done!
Here's a repeat of the post-op reading, as a refresher for you:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Thanks all. Today is a bit different for me. I have to go Pee when I have to go and it's not easy to just roll out of bed like I would like. I'm in a bit of mentality that the gun of the hospital stay is wearing off.
@sistersinhim , the wouND vac is placed over the incision to pull the fluids out and because of my history, yes the OS decided to be cautious with this knee. I like him hopes it does well.
@Celle , I'm going to re-read those tips when I get home. Today I'm not in a very good mood and I want to have a good quiet place to enjoy the reading.
2 pt appts today, ot, and who knows what else.
Take care all my bone smart dear friends.
GingerP
 
I too wondered about the wound vac. Good idea in your case, just to be sure. I’ve just not heard of one being used prophylactically before.

Hope you’re in a good place soon, Ginger. I know you’ll be a tigress about your new knee and not let PT overdo the activity. And isn’t it amazing how the bathroom rules our life at first? :groan:
 
Good morning, @GingerP. It sounds like you are headed in the right direction. They took out my catheter today. Not fun. PT is due along with more pain meds. I hope this log leg will able to walk today! It is huge. Hopefully some of it is because of the dressing. No one can say that TKR is for wimps.
 
Well, OT was here and I was able to dress in my clothes. Wow! That makes me feel good!
Dr was just in and decided to take off the ace bandage and the dressings underneath and put on an elastic type cover over the wound vac an the rest of the leg. It feels like a light girdle on my leg and looks like fishnet stockings.
Dr says that I should put my mind working on healing and he feels I should have a great outcome. (For me, that will be a much welcomed blessing)
He said I should take a large container of water and squeeze in lemon juice and drink that - 2 things to promote healing are vitamin c and zinc. I can certainly do that!!
Going home tomorrow and the weather is getting better. My vitals are all good too. Jus
 
that's excellent news GingerP. have a good recovery and no repeat of last one. keep us updated.:flwrysmile:
 
Oppps. Pressed the wrong button. Just need to focus on 'healing'. I'm certainly willing to do that!
One thing I have to do with pt yet is steps. I live in a split foyer home, so will either take 6 steps up to the landing from the garage and then 6 more or...my long set of 12 steps which I prefer. Once I am upstairs tho the bathroom, kitchen, living room and bedroom are all close.
Feeling some pain in my calf today, but that could have beeN from the tight bandage. If I can when my son comes, I will post a picture with the wound vac on. The ob/gyn dr uses the wound vac on the outside of c-sections and has good luck with them and Dr said today it was precautionary due to my left knee. I'm so proud of the tools and innovations my hometown hospital uses.
 
Sounds like things are coming along really well for you! Going home tomorrow is great!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Right TKR is done Here is my wound vac on the outside of the incision. Dr says it helps pull the fluid out through the incision. I also found out why it was hurting behind my knee in the crease as my son followed me down the hall and with my clothes on he saw a have a big bruise on the back of my knee bend. No wonder it hurts.
 
What a wonderful bend you have there! Did you OS tell you how long you'd have to use the vac?
 
Let the healing begin! Glad everything went well for you. I agree with sistersinhim, nice bend going there. :)
 
What a neat dressing!
And yes, a great bend already. :thumb:
 
That is a nifty dressing! Kind of avant-garde, stylish with a bit of an edge. Your surgeon rocks. Looks like you’re off to a great start.
 
The wound vac came off this morning and the dr just put an ABD dressing over it along with my fishnet girdle. Says I'm free to shower and let water roll over the incision. That is great news. I think a shower is on my to do list tomorrow!
I must say too that it was good to have just a few minute ride home from the hospital. I have my feet up. Ice on my knee and took a nap since being home. I slept better last night and did have wierd dreams, so I'm hoping my own bed will relax me just right.
I still need to have a bm. Lots of gas, but no progress. I think Miralx is on the menu tonight!! :)
Thank you all for comments on my knee bend. I had to look at the picture again and also when I was sitting to realize how good of a degree it was 3 days post op. I think the cpm had to have helped that. I can't say the pain is too terribly nasty just now, and I don't have the tourniquet pain that I had last tkr. I attribute much of the 'good' things I have experienced with this tkr to the younger surgeon who hasn't settled into 'the same way of doing things' and embraces the patient as an individual. I feel like the luckiest person to have had him agree to do my surgery. Quality work makes a difference in my world. I know it's early in the process, but I'm not disappointed.
I pray all you new tkr patients are doing well tonight. Stay strong and focused on healing. Positive thoughts.
 
The wound vac came off this morning and the dr just put an ABD dressing over it along with my fishnet girdle. Says I'm free to shower and let water roll over the incision. That is great news. I think a shower is on my to do list tomorrow!
I must say too that it was good to have just a few minute ride home from the hospital. I have my feet up. Ice on my knee and took a nap since being home. I slept better last night and did have wierd dreams, so I'm hoping my own bed will relax me just right.
I still need to have a bm. Lots of gas, but no progress. I think Miralx is on the menu tonight!! :)
Thank you all for comments on my knee bend. I had to look at the picture again and also when I was sitting to realize how good of a degree it was 3 days post op. I think the cpm had to have helped that. I can't say the pain is too terribly nasty just now, and I don't have the tourniquet pain that I had last tkr. I attribute much of the 'good' things I have experienced with this tkr to the younger surgeon who hasn't settled into 'the same way of doing things' and embraces the patient as an individual. I feel like the luckiest person to have had him agree to do my surgery. Quality work makes a difference in my world. I know it's early in the process, but I'm not disappointed.
I pray all you new tkr patients are doing well tonight. Stay strong and focused on healing. Positive thoughts.

This is a great motivating story for all of us!!
Yes , quality work makes the difference.
I pray for your continued healing as you are off to a great start.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
. I can't say the pain is too terribly nasty just now, and I don't have the tourniquet pain that I had last tkr. I attribute much of the 'good' things I have experienced with this tkr to the younger surgeon who hasn't settled into 'the same way of doing things' and embraces the patient as an individual. I feel like the luckiest person to have had him agree to do my surgery. Quality work makes a difference in my world. I know it's early in the process, but I'm not disappointed.
How blessed you are to have such a wonderful OS, who treats his patients on each of their needs. The 'cookie cutter' surgery doesn't work for everyone. As we say all the time, "Each knee is different!". Your OS knows that!

I pray you continue to heal completely with little pain! You have been an inspiration to many others with your courage and compassion for others.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom