TKR Right TKR is done

Thank you all!! Without you all holding my hand through some of the tough and gritty weeks I had, I'm not sure I'd be so ready for another tkr.
People say that things happen for a reason, darned if I know why I had to deal with this all, but maybe, it was so that I would invite Dr B into my life and now he is working with me and his colleagues to do what is best for me. I will not know for certain, but he sure has given me some hope when it seemed there wasn't much. Also, after retiring a year ago this coming Saturday, I was asked to work part-time for some of the nicest people. They took me on with all my dr. appts, the wound vac, and gave me something else to think about besides my 'bad luck'. It not only takes a village to raise a child, but to support us all on our life's journey through the good and not so good! Thank you all for such wonderful support.
It was funny, as I was looking for my thread - I forgot I took out the open incision - note to self- that is past!! Healed is where it's at! :dancy:
 
HI Ginger, you've had some bad luck and some good luck with your first knee replacement. The bad was the wound that took so long to heal, but the good is the people you've met along the way, particularly Dr B and your new employers.

You've met us, too, here on BoneSmart (for better or worse! :heehee:) and we'll be here to see you through your second TKR as well.
 
Big news everyone! I have a date for my rtkr! No one would think that getting a surgery date would make you feel like a happy dance, but today, if I could, that's what I would do!
Dear Dr B has decided he can do surgery on my knee. He feels that we have develoce a good relationship and on Jan 15, I will meet him in surgery. Of course he is concerned with the 'problems ' that can occur and outright told me that there are possibilities thongs could happen. I have learned so much since the last tkr so I'm well aware of chance of infection, blood clots, nerve problems, etc.
Now I have 2 months to get my head wrapped around the thought and get my list of 'things to do' before surgery out and worked on. My dear son will be coming to stay with me. This will be a different circumstance due to being home after 4 days - not in 24 hours like I was in knee 1. He is well aware of my weight, fat on my knee, my bmi, my everything and will do this. It makes me so happy. Although it will be a year apart, crazy as it is, I'm looking forward to healing pain instead of arthritis pain in your bones. Blessings to all of you who held my hand through my grueling healing of ltkr. I will be looking forward to your support in the new year too. :yahoo:
 
I’m so glad you’re getting your right knee done soon! You’ll get to enjoy the holidays and not in recovery, too. But best of all, your surgeon is making sure you have a good start for this knee. He’s really thinking about you, and that’s worth more than gold. It really does sound like you and he have an excellent relationship.
I could not be happier for you! :roseshwr: You’ve been through so much!
 
Wow! I’m glad you’re so happy and know you’ve been waiting for this!
 
Oh Ginger, what wonderful news! And knowing that the end to your arthritic knee will make Christmas even better! 2018 will be a very blessed year for you!
 
Today is my 1 yr anniversary of my left tkr! I am very happy that I had it done.
It is 5 weeks until my rtkr. I'm looking forward to having that done as well, because the pain isn't something I really want to deal with any more! Yesterday at the post office I didn't take a cane and as I was walking out the right knee gave out and I nearly fell, but luckily I was near a counter to get it back to a place to "work" with me again to get me back out to the car. My biggest fear is falling. It seems with this right knee there is just a constant sliding back and forth going on. Even the surgeon said he would normally try to talk me out of surgery, but my knee is bad. It is knock knee'd and that doesn't help with my beautiful left leg straight now. Soon.......very soon......I will be starting on my next year long journey of healing the right. Praying I don't have issues with this leg. I feel like this surgeon knows my past and wants to get this correct. Praise God!
 
You need matching knees now! Since your OS knows your history, I bet you'll do just fine!
 
Sistersinhim that's my hope! Crazy things g for a new years resolution, eh?!
 
I think a new, painfree knee is a good resolution!
 
@GingerP . I have been reading your thread and the way you have handled all the bumps you've had on your journey has been so incredible. I'm looking forward to hearing about how wonderful your soon-to-be matching knees are!! :yes!:
 
@SherrieT marching knees sounds like something good to have. :) Haven't had my knees up very high in a long time to ever be accused of marching that's for sure. Thanks for reading all my troubles. It certainly wasn't at all what I had expected in healing. Praying this one is totally different and I'm ready when Springtime comes! Bless you for your kind thoughts.
 
I just caught up on your thread and am glad your scare didn’t turn into a fall. You certainly don’t need any new problems!

This one will be totally different. Not sure in exactly what ways it will be different, but each knee is its own adventure. I’ll be praying that this time you have a recovery with no surprises! Unless good ones, of course. :heehee:
 
Today was my pre-op appointment with my internal med Dr. They did an ekg and some blood work and urine sample. I didn't expect to hear back from the dr, but after doing a bit of shopping, just got a call from the gal that did the ekg that my Dr saw a change from my ekg prior to my Dec surgery a year ago and now I have to have a 2 day procedure at cardiology next week Tuesday and Wednesday. My surgery is scheduled for the following week Monday the 15th, so I am hoping that there is NOT a problem.
Since there is little time to set up cardiology, I have to call and reschedule my hospital pre-surgery appointment. Geez. Things just can't be easy can they?
 
@GingerP my RTKR surgery is scheduled for January 17, so we will be surgery buddies. I know what you mean by things just can't be easy. I've had a few bumps in the road too. But it will be great to have 2 straight legs again, won't it? My knees were both knock-kneed, so with one straight and one crooked, it makes walking without a cane very difficult, so I can totally understand your near fall. Hopefully your cardiology appointment won't be an issue with proceeding with your surgery. My New Year's resolution was to be able to walk without a cane, no one but a fellow TKR friend would probably understand :loll:
 
I had to do the cardiology dance --cardiologist, chemical stress test-- just days before surgery. Nothing came of the test and my surgery went as scheduled. I hope yours does the same. You've already waited long enough!
 
On 2 different occasions, years apart, my husband was sent to a cardiologist and it turned out, both times, due to an error.

The first was an error on the stress test machine and the second was the person filing the report clicked on the wrong line in the drop down box on the computer.

We were scared and upset for nothing.
 
This seems to be happening more frequently lately. It seems like the doctors are being more careful. But, boy is it upsetting for the patient!
 
Thank you all for your comments! Today I called the surgeons nurse to update her on what was going on. She seemed surprised - no one more than me, though! I was able to change my pre-surgery date with the hospital and she was telling me I needed to go in for a 'gait' class as well. I told her to talk to either the head of the pt dept or to the pt fella I had last year for my other knee and see if I 'really' needed a pt class prior to surgery. Although I would be interested in what they say, they may just ask me to tell them what I will be doing. It hasn't been that long ago that I have totally forgotten the process. Call came back, nope I don't need the class. Good one less thing on my to do list!
@jboles good luck to you on #2! Only tkr folks understand wanting to walk free of aids of any sort, without a limp, or pain. Very true! I'm knock knee d as well. Already been told the nerve may be stretched too far to give relief, but I'm praying this goes better than expected. Why not wish for the very best? I've been through enough with #1 to make up for more misery.
Now, if this us just a fluke, I will be thankful. I guess it is a chemical stress test that takes 2 days - so, praying for good results because I am getting more and more ready.
Today my knee was giving me a lot of pain and cone to find out, I hadn't remembered my Tylenol dose this morning. I'm better now. Forgot how much that has been my help these years!
Bless you all for thinking of me and telling me what you have been through.....10 more days.......
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom