TKR Right TKR is done

Maybe set the alarm on your phone to insure you don’t miss again, but I’m glad the ice helped
 
I am amazed at your fortitude and perseverance! You have so much will power to keep fighting the fight to recover. Hang in there!
 
Staples came out yesterday and I must say they stung more than I remembered. Maybe they had grown in stronger because the wound vac had sucked on them strongly for the first 4 days or something, but I'm glad they are gone.
My bend yesterday at pt was back to 90 degrees so some of it was that the staples were still in and pinching when I bent very far. Steri strips are on now and when they fall off the incision is healing the rest of the way on its own. Now my worry begins. This is where my left knee started to give me fits. Praying my body heals like it should.
I have a few chores to clean up the kitchen counter and put away a few things this weekend. Little by little when my pain isn't too bad, I will do a few things at a time.
Praying for healing and rest for all you tkr folks.
 
Sounds like progress, Ginger!! I can't wait to get my staples out. I am going to beg for my p.t. to do it today but most likely will have to wait until Monday. I remember it feeling so much better when the staples are gone. Good to be up and doing a few things around the house, then back to the couch with the ice! Have a healing weekend!
 
Remember to do one thing, then rest twice the amount of time it took you to do it! This works and gets things done, but doesn't over-work the baby knee. I was on my own, too, and figured this out early in my recovery.
 
@GingerP
Wow you’ve really been through a lot! I don’t think I’ll ever do this again. You’re one strong person!
I understand your fear now that the staples are out. Try your best to keep swelling down. I know how stuff on the counter can pile up, but you can take your time takeling it. Just remember to get that leg up and ice it. Keeping you in my prayers for a no problem healing!
 
Sistersinhim is right! Be sure you’re elevating double the time the leg is down. Getting the staples out is a good step, painful be good!
 
GingerP, I just have to ask. Is that a plate of Wisconsin cheese in your avatar? I've always heard that you have the best cheese. There must be a lot of cows in Wisconsin. It has been strange moving to MS. In TN, there were cows everywhere. Here, there are very few, at least on the coast. Maybe the ground stays too wet. Anyway, I'm jealous that you might get to enjoy those delicious goodies. My house is getting dirty, especially the floors, but I'm not sure about handling a broom with my walker. Oh, well. No one is coming to the house so I'm trying to ignore it. Maybe we'll take a vacation from cleaning? It's not going anywhere! I hope your knee continues to heal. You deserve it this time around.
 
@MSgirl , yes my aviator is a plate of delicious Wisconsin cheese!! My son goes to events - like tailgates and such and always takes a plate! Best food there is. He met a new friend from NJ a year ago and when they came to visit Wisconsin that was one place to go - the cheese store!! Since then , they ordered cheese for neighbors and friends for Christmas - great Wisconsin cheese.
Now, my day at PT was pretty good. They measured my bend at 105 degrees today on a step. Much better than I was previously ,bUT if I have to do heal slides on the bed, my leg just doesn't bend!! I do know there were a few different things that were done on my knee because of my valgus problem and I do think that is the reason for some of my pains in rehab. That takes time to relax tendons and such. I also think of those who don't do PT and how well they do so don't fret much at numbers and all.
@MSgirl I noticed too that the floor needs a good sweep or the vac. Maybe this weekend - since the PT says I should bring my cane along on Thursday to see how well I can do. I'm getting a bit braver and stronger in walking short distances without my walker. Maybe soon I will be driving as well. They tell me that once I'm no longer taking hard pain pills and can can get in the car and move my foot well, they allow you to drive. That may be a good feeling as well!
Blessings to all of you in your recovery ! On day at a time.....
 
105 is great, Ginger! I always had a problem getting a good bend while laying down, just do a few heel slides on wood or tile flooring.
 
Why is the bend so much harder laying down? I notice that , too, with my knee.
 
Way to go, GingerP! That is a great bend at this stage. And, hooray. We are on the other side! Let's just try to keep on keeping one. Do you mind sending us all the name of your cheese store? They might need to give you a commission for all the orders you send their way.

P.S. I got the floor swept! Funny looking on my walker but no one was watching!
 
Josephine may know what it’s so much harder laying down, but it may be because you’re using different muscles than when the leg is down. Then there’s always gravity...:skep:
 
The cheese store is Gile's Cheese in Cuba City, Wisconsin. I know they have a website and you can have things sent to you. They tell me they pack in a box that keeps things cool in transit so nothing spoils and of course winter shipping things stay cooler. Plus they try to ship the beginning of the week so it's not sitting someplace warm over a weekend. Many special kinds of flavors plus the usual cheddar, swiss. Meunster, colby, etc. It's a cute little store and friendly staff and if needed take phone call orders too.
My steri strips are all but one off. I'm finding massage on my knee really helps a lot. Ice feels so good these days as I'm trying to manage pain with less potent pain pills. I don't seem to ever get more than a 3 or 4 pain level, but it really is more of an ache and not really a pain too.
Have a few household chores I'm going to work on today as well as enjoy a warm day before we head back to cold temps with the beginning of Feb. Such it is in Wisconsin.
Happy healing to all.
 
You're making me actually hungry, Ginger! You're not far from me in locale. Love WI cheese and they grow really delicious apples too! Glad to hear about your progress! You would think I would know by now but this overwhelming fatigue really stinks. Made a big kettle of chilli that sent me to lay down and with the horrible nausea. Lesson learned (again)!!! Just because I feel like doing something doesn't mean I should!
 
I think we all feel like we can do more than we actually can. I love cheese, I may order some from that website. My DH bought me one of those robot vacuum cleaners for Christmas, I thought, really, you bought me a vacuum? But it’s really came in handy, it vacuums every day at 9 am. One less thing to worry about. I start outpatient PT next week and if it’s like last time, they measure ROM while laying down, my numbers are never as good that way either.
 
I noticed too that the floor needs a good sweep or the vac
I bought a light weight battery vac and actually sat down a lot of the time I was vacuuming. You could even do that will an electric vac. It takes longer, of course, but we single people do what we have to do to get things done!
 
@KarriB, gravity. .....has never been my friend! Seems if anything ever was to fall or slip out of my hand, all I could say was 'darn gravity!' Because it always wins!!
Today at pt my straight leg was between 1 & 2 she said. It had been 11 last week and on the bed I did get 105 for knee bend....whew!
The big plus is I have graduated to the cane from the walker!! That is very good news!! And if things continue to improve, next week when I see the Dr he may give me permission to drive again! I have been off the strong pain pills for a week already. Today while waiting for the taxi to come, I did try to get in the car and move my foot from the brake to the gas.....yes, I know...give it time...I should be good in a week tho! That will be freeing again too.
It's time to get some ambition going tomorrow because the kitchen is a mess again. Good to have something to do, little by little.
Happy healing all.
 
Ginger, little by little is the key! You know what to do!
I was released to drive at my six week check up, but waited until my seventh week, and then I got someone to ride with me that first time, just in case! I did fine and was finally free! I hope you can get behind that wheel next week. It feels so good to be free to go, even if it is just short distances! Remember that wherever you go, you'll have to drive back! Don't overdo!
 
Great Ginger! I wish I could say I was done with the heavier meds....I'm still doing 5/325 hydro usually around midnight because of waking pain. I hope to get there soon. I stay comfortable during the day, mostly with Tylenol and IBU esp before p.t.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom