TKR Right tkr 18th September 2014 !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck and I thought I'd mention the CPM machine may be helpful also while you are asleep. Say in a week or so. My friend used it to set with the bend at the most for you, and stop it in that position and sleep. That helps stretch the tendons. For me I used it 2x a day got the bend but not on my own. I'm at 97* (9 weeks out) and I'm thinking maybe I should have done the sleep thing. hum....
 
[Bonesmart.org] Right tkr 18th September 2014 !!!!


3rd day!!


(*Bald! One goodish knee! The other got replaced 18th Sept 2104!! West Yorkshire England*)
 
My! Picture reminds me why i'm glad I got partials! I thought my 10 staples on my latest knee was overkill....
That's a good looking incision, now go ice and elevate until that swelling goes down.
 
Happy to hear you are doing well. I will remember what you said about exercise relieving pain when it is my turn Oct. 8.
 
@Spike 65 Wow, that is a long scar! Staples always look so harsh! Is that a tattoo?
Yeah it's a tattoo! My sons name now, he has to change his name to Kiera!!

Day 4
Good day!! Managed 0 - 75 on my own and 0-92 on cpm machine!
Saw my wound for the 1st time strangely reassuring, I was sure it was split open under that dressing!! Did the steps test, up a flight down a flight passed with flying colours!!
1st nights sleep without something inserted into one hole or another!! Slept for about 5 hrs solid then the normal in and out of sleep, found it was quite comfy to place a pillow between my legs and sleep on my side!

As soon as I awoke this am I went to the loo had a coffee then went straight into Physio mode!! It really does help to beat the morning soreness/stiffness!! I seem to have a lot of pain in my operated legs calf that I'll ask about today, staples are starting to pull as the wound dries, very little seepage all good I reckon!!

Sitting here leg iced and elevated eating breakfast wondering what today will bring!

Should be leaving hospital tomorrow all been well!

Speak soon!


(*Bald! One goodish knee! The other swapped for a new one (Sept 18th 14) 49 yrs young and from Yorkshire England *)
 
Sometimes calf pain can indicate a blood clot, do be careful! Swelling, redness, pain like a cramp could be a life threatening deep vein thrombosis so don't ignore this!

Or it could be bruising/swelling moving down the leg. My first knee the leg was purple from upper thigh to knee at first then the whole enormous bruise slithered down my leg and wrapped itself around my ankle and foot over the course of about two weeks. This knee I got a much lighter and smaller bruise that took up residence in my calf and shin before fading away.
 
Had calf checked all good, no sign of clot, prob cause a strain/stretch during op.
Got 0-85 unaided this am then up to 95 on CPM beast!!!
Back on CPM this pm hoping to hit 100!!!


(*Bald! One goodish knee! The other got replaced 18th Sept 2014!! West Yorkshire England*)
 
Glad you had the calf checked on. Muscle aches can be quite common after the surgery. For me they were just about as bad as the knee itself but it does get better.
 
Day 5
Normal 4-5 hrs solid sleep last night!! Try to not sleep during the day but that is impossible!!!
Did Physio as soon as awake this am, works for me gets my new knee going and awakens the surrounding muscles(but my oh my do they scream!!)
Got 0-85 unassisted then went on CPM for about an hour,got that up to 102! Then got 95 unassisted!
Iced and elevated at the mo if I can maintain 0-90 unassisted reckon I'm good to go!!
Cut back on pain meds(halved) mainly muscular pain now seems to get better every day, doesn't take much for me to feel tired at the mo! It's like eat sleep Physio sleep eat sleep repeat!!!!


(*Bald! One goodish knee! The other got replaced 18th Sept 2014!! West Yorkshire England*)
 
Yup, for weeks and weeks ice elevate nap eat, potter about ice elevate world without end amen.
 
@Spike 65 glad to hear it's going so well for you!
I also could do straight leg lifts in the hospital and then I went home and that ability went away for about a week but it's back now. Not sure why that was but I am making progress.
I guess they don't use CPM here where I live in Canada. So it's all on me. Do you find it helps?
It's awesome that you are progressing so well, I look forward to your journey.





Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Remember, you're supposed to be sleeping and resting right now. That is the time your body does its best healing. So welcome those naps and whatever sleep you can get at night. You really can't overdo the naps!
 
Day6
Really stiff this am! Not much pain considering what's happened, just muscles screaming every time I move them!!!
Last time on CPM yesterday, won't miss that!!! Not sure about all the pros n cons but I just did what my surgeon asked!
Gentle Physio soon made it move easier, got to 90 without any assistance so that machine has done its work (I was only 5-85/90 before tkr!!)
Home today so now the hard work to maintain and try to improve begins!!!

Get to keep my cryo-cuff so that's a bonus!

I'm hoping sleep will improve once home!!! PLEASE!!! ..........No problems during day though !!


(*Bald! One goodish knee! The other got replaced 18th Sept 2014!! West Yorkshire England*)
 
Sounds like you're progressing well. love that 5 hour sleep! :sleep:
 
Spike, it sounds like you are doing well---I am interested that you stayed for 6 days in the hospital, I left on the second day!! They rush you out here, but I was glad to go. I noticed that you never got the post op reading list. The articles are all short, so you can pass some time when you are not sleeping by reading.

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
One week on!!

Home from hospital, (extended stay due to excessive scar tissue removal from 8 previous ops, TKR surgeon trying to avoid mua by putting me on cpm for 4 days!) knee feels fine but my surrounding muscles are screaming out in pain at every movement I make!
My calf is the worst (had it checked it's purely muscular folks!!) I'm struggling putting weight through my calf immediately on standing but it does ease slightly after a while, then i sit down!!
The whole operated area feels like it is wrapped in a tight bandage!!

On a plus! Sleep is getting better more of it and less interruptions! Still napping loads during the day!

Still just about managing to get 90 bend but if I'm honest since leaving hospital, physio has been not my main priority, still doing bits but I'm concentrating on the rest, ice, elevate bit of recovery!!

I've just put some ibopruven muscle rub on my calf so let's see if that helps!!

Time for a nap!!


(*Bald! One goodish knee! The other swapped for a new one (Sept 18th 14) 49 yrs young and from Yorkshire England *)
 
Spike---I never did any pt unless I was in a gym with a pt looking at me!!! I was more into rest and elevation for the first few weeks. Then, when the tissues are healed, activity will come naturally as you begin to take walks and move about.

90 is good for the first week. Relax, the bend will come.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom