THR Recovery post op 21st Nov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quadriceps pain is pretty common. For whatever reason, even with anterior approach this muscle gets weakened by the procedure and needs to be re-strengthened through PT. Only now, after two weeks, am I able to raise the right leg into bed without "help" from the left. And it hurts (the quad muscle) when I do. Getting better, though.

It took me a few days to work out a tactic for this. I use a bit of help from my hand for the first bit then use my other leg for the short distance still left.

Guess I'm gonna have to start doing these excercises if I was that pain to disappear.
 
So 9 days on from my op.

Sleeping a lot better except for last night when I was awake for a couple of hours. Think I may give Horlicks a go tonight.

Experiencing very little pain now, thinking I should maybe come down to 50mg Tramadol. Still not doing many of my excercises but I do find it a lot easier to raise my leg to get into bed and to bring my knee towards me when laying flat. Leg raises next week? Lol

I don't find the TED stockings annoying as other people but I wish I could ditch them so my legs would get some air. I know I could leave them off for a bit but it wouldn't feel the same as permanently ditching them.
 
Those must be some really good drugs you are on Spid. I don't believe that I have EVER heard of ANYONE saying their TEDS didn't really bother them.

Happy to see you are making such great progress and sleeping better.

Have a great weekend.
Tammy
 
They just feel like normal socks to me! Don't seem to notice them at my knees for some reason

Just noticed the Ugg slippers I have worn for pretty much every day over exactly two years (since the hip problem started) have got a massively worn away right heel. Even a little hole has formed! Makes sense really as that is where I've been putting all my weight for so long.

Looks like I'm gonna have a fresh start with new boots, sneakers and slippers from January!
 
Since you have been a very good boy, be sure to put new boots, sneakers and slippers on your list for Santa. Maybe you will find some under the tree Christmas morning.
 
Will do :)

Can't wait to go to a mall and walk round without pain!
 
Had a bit of a wake up call today. Had an appt with the physio and I couldn't do many of the exercises, mainly because I hadn't been doing them at home.

Need to make a start on them now. Could bring my knee towards me, also lift my bum but couldn't move the leg to the side at all. She got me walking with one crutch and said I look heavily dependent on it so will leave me with 2 for now. I wondered if it was a bit soon anyway and she said they have some people without crutches at the 2 week stage. Really?!

Josephine have I been silly in not doing the excericses? The physio has got me a bit down now.
 
Spid, my recovery has been going so well that I've gotten lax on the PT exercises. BIG MISTAKE! I've plateau'ed a bit on my progress, and I think the lax PT is why. I'm back to 3X per day again!
 
Aw, Spid, you're just two weeks post-op! You have plenty of time to ease into the exercises. Some doctors don't even order PT until several weeks down the road.

Please don't let this get you down. You've been doing great. Everyone progresses at their own pace. You might try doing the suggested exercises, but don't do anything that causes pain, okay?

I am not an expert, so I will wait with you to see what Josephine suggests.
 
Thanks for the words of encouragement Sissy.

I'm getting into the exercises tonight. Still can't manage the moving to the side one though!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery post op 21st Nov.
Never fear--it will come when those hip muscles are ready for it.
 
Spid, take it easy. It will come to you. You don't want to end up like I did with the doctor ordering me not to do any PT for 2 weeks to give my thigh a chance to calm down. Just ease back into it. It will happen for you.
 
Spid, don't get discouraged. I remember reading (I think it was one of Jo's posts) that during the first few weeks just walking to do daily living skills (i.e. to the bathroom and kitchen) were plenty to do so early in the recovery. I know the side slides were the hardest for me as well at the beginning. Now they're pretty easy. It will come in time.
 
Spid,

As someone who has come through his second hip op 5 weeks ago , my advice is take it at the speed your body wants you to go, you get no prizes for trying to stick to time frames. I only felt human again 10 weeks after my first replacement when I was able to walk through with the leg without feeling any stiffness or muscle pulling , so I expect the same this time. I was on two crutches after both op's for two weeks and after the last one can now walk short distances without one, but still use if going out, thigh still tight and stiff but improving each day.
 
Spid, don't get discouraged. I remember reading (I think it was one of Jo's posts) that during the first few weeks just walking to do daily living skills (i.e. to the bathroom and kitchen) were plenty to do so early in the recovery. I know the side slides were the hardest for me as well at the beginning. Now they're pretty easy. It will come in time.

Yeah, I read the mods saying elevate, ice and just do general walking for 3 weeks so I followed that. Started to do a couple of side slides last night on the shiny sheet, that made it a bit easier.

I wonder if I find exercises harder as I'm very skinny and don't have much muscle as it is.
 
Hi Spid. Count me in as another one who didn't have any issues with the TEDs. But are you wearing them 24/7? I only wore them during the day. They came off when I went to bed...per surgeon's instructions.

And you are just getting to the point in recovery where you start to make faster gains. That's what PT is for....to start wherever YOU are (not where they think you should already be), and to help you get progressively stronger over time. I wanted PT because I knew I was going to be lazy about doing exercises on my own. And I was....especially the second time around. You haven't harmed yourself in any way. The muscle strength will come back especially as you walk more. In a few weeks, you'll be doing that sideways move and lots more.

Sharon
 
My surgeon, an athlete himself, is enthusiastic about PT, and I am, too, generally. But thanks to advice I read on this forum, I have not pushed myself as hard as usual. I'm doing a lot of walking, bike riding, kayaking, but not to the point of pain or exhaustion, and I do 13 machines in my circuit at the YMCA. The 5 lower body machines, I am using about half the weight that I used pre-op, but I'm doing more repetitions. With the ad and abductors, I'm not pushing the ROM to point of pain. Upper body is same as before surgery. When I think about it, which isn't often, I do my PT exercises but really, the machines at the Y duplicate a lot of those movements.

I was so resistant to the idea of THR back last June (I was in denial, really) that the first ortho I saw gave me a shot of cortisone into the hip and ordered 8 weeks of PT twice a week, which I did diligently. Not too painful, due to the cortisone, and it accomplished, I think, two things. First, it finished off what was left of my hip, and second, it gave me better range of motion and strengthened all the involved muscles, leaving me with bone on bone:yikes: but in great shape for the surgery.

So, I assessed my situation post-op and with the help of Josephine advice about hips sorting themselves out without much PT, moderated my activity somewhat. Because my new hip is not cemented, and I've read that osteointegration takes 4-6 months, I figure I will continue to take it easy until 6 months post-op, at which point I'll increase my weights and step up my activity---longer paddle trips, longer bike rides and hikes.

At ten weeks post-op now, I find that after a couple of very active days, I need a lazier day, and it is better to alternate activities; ride one day, paddle or hike the next.

Sorry so wordy. My point is really what Sharon said. You start where you are, not where anyone thinks you should be. Don't do anything to the point of pain. And once you're rid of the crutches, walk, walk, walk.:)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery post op 21st Nov.
You are right on the money, Sissy. This is excellent advice regrading exercise and PT for hippies.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom