THR Recovery post op 21st Nov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the most important excercise, apart from walking, in people's opinion?

In the first month or six weeks post-THR, none of the PT exercises are particularly important. It's better to rest and heal from surgery. After that time, for most people, the side-lying side leg lift is the most important PT-type exercise.

[Bonesmart.org] Recovery post op 21st Nov.



The clamshell is the next most important.

[Bonesmart.org] Recovery post op 21st Nov.



In both these exercises, it's important to keep the pelvis vertical and not rock back on your butt. That would be cheating. :wink:
 
Thanks for them Alex. Can't wait to get started on them.
 
alexthecat, wow, I have not been told to do any of thease exercises yet, maybe because of the fracture, as I know leg raises were forbidden. Hopefully I will get the all clear and can work on thease soon.

How are you doing today Spid?
 
Those are really good illustrations of those two exercises. In a summer-long last ditch attempt to avoid surgery, I was doing these and lots of others, including side stepping up and downs steps, until the cortisone injection wore off and I decided to go for the new hip. So these were easy post-op, and they started me on them right away. None of the PT exercises were painful for me except the straight leg lifts, and bridges, and I just refused to do them for the first several weeks. No problem after 3 or 4 weeks.

bellaroma I know you will get clearance from your PT or OS before doing anything. The underwater treadmill sounds fantastic!
 
alexthecat, wow, I have not been told to do any of thease exercises yet, maybe because of the fracture, as I know leg raises were forbidden. Hopefully I will get the all clear and can work on thease soon.

How are you doing today Spid?


I'm not doing too bad thanks. Had a decent sleep, woke up at 4am for 10-15 mins like I seem to most nights but I felt good when my alarm woke me this morning. Done most of my exercises and I'm seeing the physio tomorrow so hopefully they will be ok with my progress.

Not tried the side lying leg lift yet but it looks like its going to be tough! Straight leg lifts and bridges have been ok for me.

Just under 3 weeks until my restrictions are hopefully up! Please go quicker than the last 3, pleeease.
 
Spid - My doc said that, in addition to the side leg lifts, supine (straight-up) leg lifts are especially useful in order to return the quadriceps to full working order. So it sounds like you're already underway with those. Good luck moving forward!
 
My PT has me doing the straight leg (supine) raises. But I have not been introduced to either the side leg lift or the clamshell. Boy, something to look forward to. Ugh!
 
Hi Spid...how are you doing? I'm as fed up with you about sleeping on my back but it has improved over time. I have tried sleeping on my unoperated side with a pillow between my legs but I got to admit I can only do this for about 20 mins as the operated leg feels very heavy when doing this. I'm like you and am looking forward to the 6 week mark but I'm not sure that that is the cut-off point for the risk of dislocation, I think it may be longer than this. I'm hoping that I'll be clearer on this after my follow-up on 8th Jan. My "back sleeping" has been improved by having a pillow under my knees and another under my feet and just one pillow under my head, so that my legs seem a little more raised than my head. Strange, but in this position. I don't feel the need to turn over
 
Sounds like you have worked out your sleeping position Linda.. It was the same for me sometimes I could only last for 5 mins on my side.. It will improve!

Looking forward to getting an update from you Spid :)
 
I cancelled my physio appt this morning as its very icy around here, everyone has been complaining aout how slippy it is. I didn't want to risk falling over.

Sleeping on my back is fine when I haven't been chilling in bed most of the day. I don't like putting pillows all over the place under me, I feel more scared of dislocation then, as it doesn't feel very natural.

I think you're right, Linda, from what Josephine says once the 6 week mark goes I think we still have to think about dislocation and sleeping on unoperated side might not be possible for a while yet. On the other hand, I think sleeping on the operated side will be ok. My usual bed is a waterbed so hopefully if I sleep on the operated side it won't feel any pressure with the bed being so soft.
 
Side sleeping will come, at first it was about 5 minutes than 15, than 30 and then I could do it. As far as the ice goes, I wouldn't risk it either, I do not know is you know about thease graips for crutches and canes for ice and snow. Damn!, told me about them and I ordered a pair from Amazon, haven't had to try them yet, but am ready thease are called Ez2Care Cane Ice Grip but their a re other brands
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery post op 21st Nov.
 
Don't get too obsessed about dislocations, they are actually very rare. You should look at the chart of risk in here Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule.


I wouldn't be without my icegrippers on my shoes but unless there is a fair layer of ice and/or snow, don't use them as the tungsten spikes can be hazardous on pavement or concrete!

[Bonesmart.org] Recovery post op 21st Nov.
 
bellaroma, I'm so glad that I was able to help with the crutch spikes! Now we won't have to worry about you slipping and sliding on all that nasty ice and snow.
 
Had my appointment with the physio today. I think I've progressed well. Could do all he had set me and he watched me walking and thinks I'm ready for a walking stick so I went home with that.

Gave me a few more exercises to get me to put more weight onto the operated hip and a resistance band to do the old exercises. He really was a nice guy, I think these exercises will be really useful.

I was trying to not cut my hair until I was ready to go on a night out with the boys as I'd been staying in a lot over the last month or two before my op. Anyway, today on the way home from physio and caved and had my usual hair the cut that I have every 4-6 weeks. It had got sooo ridiculously long. Got home and showered.

Now I'm absolutely shattered!
 
Spid, I don't know if you wear your hair long or short. I let mine grow until it's hard to manage and bothers me, then get about 2" cut off. I was due for a haircut before going in to the hospital, but didn't get around to it. Needless to say it was really driving me nuts when I got home and I still had 7-8 weeks to go before I could get out.
 
Yeah, I like it short but I wanted to grow it and see how it look long. Not good! Gets wavey and curly.
 
Tried sleeping on my unoperated side a few times the last couple of nights as I've been waking up in the middle of the night then unable to get back to sleep. It's actually quite comfy sleeping on your side with a pillow between your knees. The only issue is a numb shoulder.

14 days til I see the OS. I imagine this is going to go veeeeery slow.
 
I added a 2" memory foam pad. It felt great the first couple of nights, but now I barely notice the difference. It's my shoulders, not the bed. :boohoo:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom